Open the Doors

nostalgia

I'm still curious about keying the door--I've taken a closer look on the R-160's, and I see a little panel that opens outward on each car, right next to one of the doors, at about shoulder height (on me, anyway). Is that where the C/R keys open the door? (Sort of like the little panel on MCI's next to the door that have a little switch to open the doors). Seems like a pain to have to walk over to each door you want to key open and manually do that. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can get easily confused in this forum.

Okay, so let's say you have a full length, 8-car (D) train that is 600' long. Split that in half and you have two sets of 4 cars with each set measuring 300' each. (Same idea goes for the 10-car (N) trains.) Those full-length trains are made up of two sets of cars linked together, and in those sets there are only two cabs - one at both ends of the set. None in between. This is why you will see conductors moving to the cab in the next car, because the end of the first set is joined to the front of the second set.

Makes sense, right? Now, on to the shuttles that was mentioned before. They do not operate a full length train, so it's not two sets coupled together. The Lefferts, Rockaway (excluding summers), and the M Shuttles operate half of a full-length train, which means only one set (4 cars, 300'). Remember, the cabs are located only at the ends of the 4-car set, so T/Os dealing with OPTO shuttles cannot move to the "cab in the next car" - it's not there! Plus, why would they? They're operating a train, not just being a conductor. Slight exception on the Franklin Avenue Shuttle - they only operate sets of two cars linked together, with cab at both ends of the set. But the same thing still applies - T/Os will be moving from one end of the train to the other.

Hopefully this clears up everything.

I'm still curious about keying the door--I've taken a closer look on the R-160's, and I see a little panel that opens outward on each car, right next to one of the doors, at about shoulder height (on me, anyway). Is that where the C/R keys open the door? (Sort of like the little panel on MCI's next to the door that have a little switch to open the doors). Seems like a pain to have to walk over to each door you want to key open and manually do that. 

Yes, that's it but on the NTTs, you can just do a partial close to achieve the same effect.

i can understand all these procedure are necessary but shouldnt customers come first then do the bullish later? what kind of management and team effort is this. bad customer representation by these folk. sorry to say this. 

i can understand all these procedure are necessary but shouldnt customers come first then do the bullish later? what kind of management and team effort is this. bad customer representation by these folk. sorry to say this. 

LMAO... I'm sorry but I have to agree... Seems like there's always something that has to be done to further delay the passenger.

Something else that irks the hell of me... What's up with opening just one door when the train is in the terminal? Like what's the point of that exactly?? Is it supposed to keep people from entering or what? If that's the case, why not just leave all of the doors closed until the train is ready to start up into service??   I feel like such an idiot trying to squeeze into the train with that one door open nonsense.  

LMAO... I'm sorry but I have to agree... Seems like there's always something that has to be done to further delay the passenger.

Something else that irks the hell of me... What's up with opening just one door when the train is in the terminal? Like what's the point of that exactly?? Is it supposed to keep people from entering or what? If that's the case, why not just leave all of the doors closed until the train is ready to start up into service??   I feel like such an idiot trying to squeeze into the train with that one door open nonsense.  

It's to keep the heat out of the cars in the summer and the cold out of the cars in the winter.

Yeah I've heard that before... I just wonder if they're better off keeping the doors closed altogether...

Pfft, keep em close and then there will just be oodles of people complaining that they were left out to bake/freeze in the heat/cold. And it was mentioned before (in this thread or another) that the C/R has to dezone the train and set up the new zone in the other cab for the other C/R as the doors can only be closed from the cab they were opened from. (At least on the NTTs) When you think about it, it saves more time than it doesn't especially if the same train has to be sent right back out.

Dan explains it here: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/39923-open-the-doors/page-2?do=findComment&comment=660431

Pfft, keep em close and then there will just be oodles of people complaining that they were left out to bake/freeze in the heat/cold. And it was mentioned before (in this thread or another) that the C/R has to dezone the train and set up the new zone in the other cab for the other C/R as the doors can only be closed from the cab they were opened from. (At least on the NTTs) When you think about it, it saves more time than it doesn't especially if the same train has to be sent right back out.

Dan explains it here: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/39923-open-the-doors/page-2?do=findComment&comment=660431

True but listen, when a B/O goes on break, nine times out of ten, that bus is shut off and the passengers have to wait in whatever conditions until that B/O is ready to start up for the next run... I usually just wait on the platform for the train anyway since I don't sit down on the trains so it doesn't make a difference either way.  

You guys are sounding like a bunch of old women at the hair salon.

The doors are partially closed to keep the cars a/c or heat inside so YOU THE PASSENGER can be comfortable. Is it really that big of a deal you have to walk to one end of the car and thru 1 door panel? Does it make sense to keep hundreds of people on the platform waiting for ALL the doors to be opened instead of having it partially opened?

I missed out on this thread almost in it's entirety. May I?

The doors are partially closed to keep the cars a/c or heat inside so YOU THE PASSENGER can be comfortable. Is it really that big of a deal you have to walk to one end of the car and thru 1 door panel? Does it make sense to keep hundreds of people on the platform waiting for ALL the doors to be opened instead of having it partially opened?

That's what I always thought from when man, I don't know how young I was.

I threw that question out there with a transit worker one day during freezing weather at CI (I like to come down there for the serene and peaceful scene of winter at CI for the soul) and that was exactly what I was told which confirms why the car doors are at this sort of configuration when staged for a run. Reason? to keep the passengers warm and not get hit with the cold drafts. He also told me that they do that during the summer as a win win - so the A/C units do not become overworked while awaiting the crew to undergo tests and following other protocols to start a run from it's terminal so not to burn out the A/C units

It's called good customer service fellas. It actually exists in the MTA thanks to the train crews. Dan nailed it. hence the repost with this quote. Customer service in ANY field is very important to your job in whatever profession it may be.

Yeah it is if you have bags or something big where you actually need the two doors to be opened. I get it but at the same time I think it would be wise to just have one door open in each car with both panels open.  I personally don't find it all that "comforting" or "inviting" to try to squeeze my 6'4" frame through one little panel.  Maybe if I was smaller I wouldn't have such an issue with it.

Because those buses are not in fare paid areas. That's like shutting the door on the B42 at Rockaway Parkway (L)... you don't need to present the driver with a valid fare to board one of those, and the same mentality goes with subways.

Sorry but I'm getting that at all...

Sorry but I'm getting that at all...

The reason most bus drivers laying over close their doors is because otherwise, people could easily sneak on without paying a fare.

Meanwhile, on the subway and on the B42 at Rockaway Pkwy (L), people have already paid their fares before hand, so there is no reason to close the doors. None at all.

The reason most bus drivers laying over close their doors is because otherwise, people could easily sneak on without paying a fare.

Meanwhile, on the subway and on the B42 at Rockaway Pkwy (L), people have already paid their fares before hand, so there is no reason to close the doors. None at all.

That's not the only reason though... B/O may simply not want any passengers on the bus and may want the bus for themselves to BS or relax or whatever.

Archived