Open the Doors

nostalgia

Yeah it is if you have bags or something big where you actually need the two doors to be opened. I get it but at the same time I think it would be wise to just have one door open in each car with both panels open.  I personally don't find it all that "comforting" or "inviting" to try to squeeze my 6'4" frame through one little panel.  Maybe if I was smaller I wouldn't have such an issue with it.

Im 6'4 and 250 Lbs i have no issue going through a single Open door Panel...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just a question about OPTO...

do they use tradtionally motormen or conducters in the operators role?

I ask this because an operator on the (G) didnt know what the stops were and had to be told by a TSS what the stops were...

Better question: which is the greater of the two?

i mean for the (G) which uses conductors and motor men on weekdays and operators on weekends,do they use just motormen or are condoctors also operators during the weekends?

G Line is OPTO on Weekends Train Operator and Conductor all other times.

But you have to be quick. Both panels open after the starting lights illuminate and the gong sounds.

I'm not sure I was clear. I meant the C/R opens ALL the doors for a few seconds when it's time to leave, and then closes them

The Franklin (S) is OPTO at sill times. 2 sets of trains (2 cars each) during the day and one set overnight.

As for de-zoning, depends on the station. At Franklin, the T/O dumps the train, opens the doors, de-zones, then walk to the other end of the train and sets up from there.

At Prospect Park, same thing but another T/O comes instead

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I rode the Shuttle from Franklin Ave yesterday. I heard the air dump and watched the doors open. I didn't see any "de-zoning" unless that happens in the cab. The door didn't close until it was time to leave. How is "de-zoning" done on the shuttle?

I rode the Shuttle from Franklin Ave yesterday. I heard the air dump and watched the doors open. I didn't see any "de-zoning" unless that happens in the cab. The door didn't close until it was time to leave. How is "de-zoning" done on the shuttle?

I think that's Fresh Pond's error on his part. De-zoning doesn't happen on the shuttle when it's at Prospect Park. Not sure about Franklin Av though since I don't take the shuttle from there, but my guess is the doors stay open there as well, just like the Times Sq shuttle. Did you see the crew de-zone the cars when you were at Franklin?

I think that's Fresh Pond's error on his part. De-zoning doesn't happen on the shuttle when it's at Prospect Park. Not sure about Franklin Av though since I don't take the shuttle from there, but my guess is the doors stay open there as well, just like the Times Sq shuttle. Did you see the crew de-zone the cars when you were at Franklin?

I didn't wait for the train to leave. The T/O came out onto the platform. He didn't close any doors from the outside.

I went to Brooklyn today and watched the opening doors process on the Franklin Avenue Shuttle at Prospect Park. The T/O dumped the air, put his key in the master door slot, pushed a button, turned the key and pushed ANOTHER button to open the doors. What was the first button? I walked up to the cab after he left and stared at the door panel. Next to the master key slot, there is a very small button with "Zone" above it. This must be how the doors are "dezoned" (if that is a word.)  I surmise that by pressing the "Zone" button before opening the doors, the doors can be closed from a different location, which in this case is the other car which becomes the leading end.

Dezoning does occur on shuttle lines, just know that the actual procedure is not the sort of information employees can post on a public forum, so if that's the answer you're looking for you're not going to find it here.

Anonymity is guaranteed on the forum. However, members reveal as much personal detail as they want. Nobody lists their name.  However some reveal their occupation in their profile name or their status. I was able to figure out the actual procedure based on posted information plus observation.

Now that I understand the procedure, this raises the question why a C/R can't dezone at the final stop on a regular trip. The adjacent cab will become the operating cab for the C/R on the next trip. What difference does it make to open the doors from that adjacent cab versus dezoning from the cab that was used on the inbound trip?

Questions, questions, questions... They just never seem to end.

• 5 weeks later...

The rule is, as I understand it, the CR must wait for train to stop, move to the other cab, and then open the doors at stub terminals.

BTW, this question was asked in the FYI section in the Metropolitian section of the NYTimes one sunday, and that was the answer given.

Now that I understand the procedure, this raises the question why a C/R can't dezone at the final stop on a regular trip. The adjacent cab will become the operating cab for the C/R on the next trip. What difference does it make to open the doors from that adjacent cab versus dezoning from the cab that was used on the inbound trip?

Questions, questions, questions... They just never seem to end.

Because changing zones is only supposed to be done when the emergency brakes are applied. The T/O puts the handle into emergency as soon as the train stops at the last station, which gives the C/R the go ahead to change zones. Even if you need to change cabs mid trip due to a mechanical problem, the C/R is still supposed to activate the emergency brake first.

Because changing zones is only supposed to be done when the emergency brakes are applied. The T/O puts the handle into emergency as soon as the train stops at the last station, which gives the C/R the go ahead to change zones. Even if you need to change cabs mid trip due to a mechanical problem, the C/R is still supposed to activate the emergency brake first.

Since the T/O "puts the train into emergency as soon as the train stops at the last station," there's no reason to change cabs. It seems that changing cabs and dezoning accomplish the same purpose. The new C/R can operate from the adjacent cab of the inbound train.

I might be missing something.

Archived