What is the steepest grade that subway cars can handle?

bobtehpanda

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what kind of grades MTA's current rolling stock can handle? I know the Steinway tunnels are supposedly some of the steepest grades in the system (or at least in the A-Division), but does anyone know what the steepest grade actually is?

On the IRT cant think of anything off the top of my head but defenitely the BMT Manny bridge on the Brooklyn Side, also the BMT 60th Street tunnel into QBP to the the Astoria line. Another good one is the (L) into Broadway Junction. One can easily just marvel at the elevated structures and see that for themselves.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what kind of grades MTA's current rolling stock can handle? I know the Steinway tunnels are supposedly some of the steepest grades in the system (or at least in the A-Division), but does anyone know what the steepest grade actually is?

The steepest grades I've heard of are the BMT 60th St. Tunnels and the IRT Steinway Tunnels, but that's about it.

The steepest grade is the Manhattan Bridge Brooklyn side. You can coast/min brake from the high point of the bridge all the way to the curve right before Pacific St, assuming Dekalb is on the ball (pun intended) with giving you the line up!

The steepest grade is the Manhattan Bridge Brooklyn side. You can coast/min brake from the high point of the bridge all the way to the curve right before Pacific St, assuming Dekalb is on the ball (pun intended) with giving you the line up!

Not happening that Homeball is usually at Danger due to a Train Crossing in front of you...

Of coruse then there's that whole Wrong Line Up thingy, another reason why its usually at Danger.

Which is why trains on the 60th Street tunnel MUST hit 60 MPH (or close to it on the R46) to climb from the downgrade fast enough to to the next station, as told by a T/O I think in the speed thread by Two Timer.

Is that true? Ive definitely been in the 60 st tube during flagging or congestion and crawled through the whole thing. I don't think the grade is so steep a train would get stuck if it didn't make the proper speed...

Or when you say "must" do you mean "Must hit that speed to stay on time"

tracks J1 and J2 on the willy b from station 73+45 to station 77+35 (390 ft) is at 5.5% thats the steepest

track H2 on the manny b from station 287+35 to station 278+07 (928 ft) is at 5.4% grade. 

steinway tubes from station 88+94 to station 101+99 (1305 ft) is at 4.5% grade

60th street tubes from station 102+12 to station 109=97 (787 ft) is at 4.37% grade

joe

tracks J1 and J2 on the willy b from station 73+45 to station 77+35 (390 ft) is at 5.5% thats the steepest

track H2 on the manny b from station 287+35 to station 278+07 (928 ft) is at 5.4% grade. 

60th street tubes from station 102+12 to station 109=97 (787 ft) is at 4.37% grade

joe

And there you have it folks with Phantom and his engineering know how. Manny B it is 

..... confirmed by a veteran transit worker. 

Which is why trains on the 60th Street tunnel MUST hit 60 MPH (or close to it on the R46) to climb from the downgrade fast enough to to the next station, as told by a T/O I think in the speed thread by Two Timer.

They put timers on the North side of the tube (going into queens), Thing is i've had an (R) go 58 mph after those timers were installed. 

I had no idea the steinway tube was steep... I thought it was just deeper than others. 

They put timers on the North side of the tube (going into queens), Thing is i've had an (R) go 58 mph after those timers were installed. 

I had no idea the steinway tube was steep... I thought it was just deeper than others. 

Welp, that's why special EL cars had to be built with special gearboxes back then lol.

joe

Good Info Joe thanks btw voted it down by mistake  :rolleyes:

Not happening that Homeball is usually at Danger due to a Train Crossing in front of you...

Of coruse then there's that whole Wrong Line Up thingy, another reason why its usually at Danger.

It's actually happened on my (D) on weekends before .... IF there's no GO's affecting Dekalb and IF there's no (N) in sight and IF me or my T/O call Dekalb early enough and IF they decide to listen. 154 ball must be the best known homeball by name in the entire system.

Is that true? Ive definitely been in the 60 st tube during flagging or congestion and crawled through the whole thing. I don't think the grade is so steep a train would get stuck if it didn't make the proper speed...

Or when you say "must" do you mean "Must hit that speed to stay on time"

Going by what Two Timer I believe said in a different thread. (Going by memory). He said T/Os running through the 60th St tubes deliberately go all out past the 55 MPH mark and if they are operating a R160, 60 MPH, in order to maintain decent speed through the tunnel or else they would be crawling after the downgrade. No they would'nt get stuck in the tunnel, I'm sure the BMT artitechs had that in mind while designing the tunnel.

Gotta find that statement, prolly in the speed thread Threxx started.

This is not exactly it but this would explain it a bit. This is in regards to dealing with steep grades in the tunnels:

It affected the speed of the train a bit, but the amount is overly exaggerated. The grade of the track affects train speeds more.

It's actually happened on my (D) on weekends before .... IF there's no GO's affecting Dekalb and IF there's no (N) in sight and IF me or my T/O call Dekalb early enough and IF they decide to listen. 154 ball must be the best known homeball by name in the entire system.

YES it is....... :D

OK I admit I'm clueless on the term homeball, what does that mean? I'm assuming signals on red.....

Archived