Does anyone still watch NBC-TV? Troubled network mulling big changes including exits of Leno & Lauer

Shortline Bus

Anyone still watch NBC-TV which is Ch.4 in NYC area? The troubled Network in important Feb. 2013 ratings period for first time ever finished in 5th place on US TV. (behind Spanish station Univision)

Plus even their one time 'franchise" programs, the early morning staple "Today" show anchored by Matt Lauer and the "Tonight Show" with Jay Leno could both in near future have new hosts. Only bright spot for NBC is that their NFL Sunday Night Football program is the #1 'entertainment' show in all of television. If you were given a $1 Million bucks to become the President of NBC (we not talking their MSNBC/CNBC and other stations in the NBC/Comcast family)what type of show you were try to put on?

Here links of how bad its gotten for NBC.

Leno finally leaving "tonight show" for good?

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/sources-leno-fallon-tonight-show-article-1.1278101

As lame as Leno can be, I think it would be a mistake to have Fallon take over. To me he's not very funny. It's gonna be another Conan fiasco. Maybe they should get Tina Fey to take the job? She's finished with 30 Rock and seems pretty talented to write her own stuff. Plus the first female late night host could work in her favor while still attracting the so called 18-54 market.

I don't watch Kimmel's show much, but the times I do, it's ok and I think he is going to draw viewers away from Leno and Letterman because he is much younger and has fresher material.

As for the rest of NBC. lol, I don't think I've tuned in to that network at all in a while. Of the main networks, for me it's Fox, CBS and ABC.

As lame as Leno can be, I think it would be a mistake to have Fallon take over. To me he's not very funny. It's gonna be another Conan fiasco. Maybe they should get Tina Fey to take the job? She's finished with 30 Rock and seems pretty talented to write her own stuff. Plus the first female late night host could work in her favor while still attracting the so called 18-54 market.

I don't watch Kimmel's show much, but the times I do, it's ok and I think he is going to draw viewers away from Leno and Letterman because he is much younger and has fresher material.

As for the rest of NBC. lol, I don't think I've tuned in to that network at all in a while. Of the main networks, for me it's Fox, CBS and ABC.

Actually Tina Fey would be the 2nd female talk show. In 1986-'87 Joan Rivers was the 1st late night female host on then new Fox network as it flopped and was cancelled after only 6 months.

I don't watch any of those late night talk shows, regardless of what network they're on....

As for NBC itself, if not for a sporting event, I tend not to watch channel 4 anyway... not even NBC's news....

If I'm channel surfing, I start at channel 5 & work my way upward....

Actually, in the morning, I'm usually watching the Today show. Matt Lauer and Al Roker are some of the few who have stayed over the years unlike Katie Couric and I happen to like the show. If Matt Lauer and others were to leave, I'd probably stop watching. Other than that, I'm not usually watching NBC 4. CBS and ABC have shows that I like, NBC not so much, although I have watched The Biggest Loser a few times.

To me it seems lauer has become more unlikable. IMO, I think it was because of him he got Anne curry to be fired/bumped off from her spot as co anchor. Even al roker made an off handed comment about "throwing ppl under the bus". I think they'd be better off letting him go. That said. I've always been a good day NY viewer mainly for the local stuff.

I miss Dave price, he was funny when he was the target of Jim Ryan's millhouse jokes. CBS tried to recapture that dynamic with their show, but the desk became too crowded and most of them were replaced. Basically price had a short stint on fox before leaving for some reason and Greg Kelley came back. What happened to arnastos? Dd he retire? I see some new guy doing the anchoring gig for the 10 pm news.

To me it seems lauer has become more unlikable. IMO, I think it was because of him he got Anne curry to be fired/bumped off from her spot as co anchor. Even al roker made an off handed comment about "throwing ppl under the bus". I think they'd be better off letting him go. That said. I've always been a good day NY viewer mainly for the local stuff.

I miss Dave price, he was funny when he was the target of Jim Ryan's millhouse jokes. CBS tried to recapture that dynamic with their show, but the desk became too crowded and most of them were replaced. Basically price had a short stint on fox before leaving for some reason and Greg Kelley came back. What happened to arnastos? Dd he retire? I see some new guy doing the anchoring gig for the 10 pm news.

Concourse Greg Kelly is back with Rosenann Scotto is the am co-host of GDNY. While Ernie (phasing him out)is only doing the 6pm newscasts. Jim Ryan retired like at least  4-5 years after his brief stint at Ch.2 after his long succcesful stint w/ Fox/Ch.5 .

I don't watch any of those late night talk shows, regardless of what network they're on....

Me neither. In fact I hardly watch TV in general , never did for years I mean, I'm strictly internet head when it comes to news, and entertainment (music, movies etc).

Nethertheless It would be sad to see Jay Leno go. He was'nt like "oh wow hawhawhawhaw *knee slapping* *tearjerking* *gasp* omfg that was so funny" but he was indeed a talk show icon who will be missed. Sometimes he's right on the money sometimes not. I think (like yourself) the only reason I would watch the mainstream networks if anything is for sports, maybe news since again, I get that on the net anyway, and that's about it.

Concourse Greg Kelly is back with Rosenann Scotto is the am co-host of GDNY. While Ernie (phasing him out)is only doing the 6pm newscasts. Jim Ryan retired like at least  4-5 years after his brief stint at Ch.2 after his long succcesful stint w/ Fox/Ch.5 .

Werd? Rosanne Scotto is still around? Lol, really out of the loop all lost in the matrix of the cybersphere. Where the heck I've been?

Me neither. In fact I hardly watch TV in general , never did for years I mean, I'm strictly internet head when it comes to news, and entertainment (music, movies etc).

Nethertheless It would be sad to see Jay Leno go. He was'nt like "oh wow hawhawhawhaw *knee slapping* *tearjerking* *gasp* omfg that was so funny" but he was indeed a talk show icon who will be missed. Sometimes he's right on the money sometimes not. I think (like yourself) the only reason I would watch the mainstream networks if anything is for sports, maybe news since again, I get that on the net anyway, and that's about it.

Werd? Rosanne Scotto is still around? Lol, really out of the loop all lost in the matrix of the cybersphere. Where the heck I've been?

I only watch sports, news(mainly weekday morning before I head for work/other errands for day)and maybe if I in mood CSI, Modern Family and couple of other shows. Not to get off topic but even with Fios I wish I could dump most of the tv channels. However my internet only package would be almost as much as my discounted package. (i.e $75 vs. $99 for tv/online/phone package)

Can't stand most of the reality shows. Thus a big reason why NBC is in the dumps with their ratings.

I only watch sports, news(mainly weekday morning before I head for work/other errands for day)and maybe if I in mood CSI, Modern Family and couple of other shows. Not to get off topic but even with Fios I wish I could dump most of the tv channels. However my internet only package would be almost as much as my discounted package. (i.e $75 vs. $99 for tv/online/phone package)

Can't stand most of the reality shows. Thus a big reason why NBC is in the dumps with their ratings.

Remember when we had "In Living Color and the Arsenio Hall Show?" Now THAT was some entertainment right there! Lol. Oh man good times..... :lol:

Remember when we had "In Living Color and the Arsenio Hall Show?" Now THAT was some entertainment right there! Lol. Oh man good times..... :lol:

Yup. How down the crap has tv gone in 20 years. You had those classics plus "home improvement" "Beavis and Butthead" a new show then called "Seinfeld" (considered by many the best sitcom  in tv history)and "ER". some other favorites such as "Walker: Texas Rangers" "NYPD:Blue"  Hey we also still had "Family Matters" "Full House" "Coach" the early "Simpsons" and more. Yes the early '90's had so much better shows than now.

Even shows I was not into that were hits such as the oringal "Beverly hills 90210" and "Friends" I would watch now in a heartbeat over today's mostly crappy shows.  NBC was in the mix with many of those really good shows.

Yes, dude! Beavis and Buthead! That was the jam right there. The first two seasons with Grey's Anantomy with Sandra Oh and Isaiah Washington. I was hooked with the romance they were having in the first two seasons. Loved NYPD Blue. And most definitely the Simpsons. And oh, lets not forget Married with Children. Oh man that show was hilarious!

The problem with Channel 4 is too much news about everything BUT New York. It's okay to talk about NJ and Conneticut but Jesus Christ!! Put on more New York news!!! The other issue is that they're too damn serious and Lester Holt is so beyond being full of himself that it sickens me.  I watch Fox 5 in morning with Rosanna Scotto and Greg Kelly... Funny as hell... I'm glad Price left... He was funny but not nearly as cutting as Kelly is and Kelly didn't fit in well with the 10:00 crew because it's more serious though that Dari Alexander chick is a nice piece of eye candy. :D  Unless there's an NHL game or an NFL game on Channel 4 or some skiing or golf or other sports event, I don't bother.  

The problem with Channel 4 is too much news about everything BUT New York. It's okay to talk about NJ and Conneticut but Jesus Christ!! Put on more New York news!!! The other issue is that they're too damn serious and Lester Holt is so beyond being full of himself that it sickens me.  I watch Fox 5 in morning with Rosanna Scotto and Greg Kelly... Funny as hell... I'm glad Price left... He was funny but not nearly as cutting as Kelly is and Kelly didn't fit in well with the 10:00 crew because it's more serious though that Dari Alexander chick is a nice piece of eye candy. :D  Unless there's an NHL game or an NFL game on Channel 4 or some skiing or golf or other sports event, I don't bother.  

Lester Holt is the weekend anchor/backup for Brain Williams VG8. Holt does the 'national news' not just ny news.

I only watch the Law and Order (the original one)... SVU isn't nearly as good... It's a bit more twisted IMO...

Law & Order (oringal) is so underrated among the best cop/legal shows of all time imo. How far NBC has gone from all time classics from Bonzana to "Cosby" to "ER" "Cheers" and some others It amazing how far they fallen. Comcast buying them has been a epic fail.

Law & Order (oringal) is so underrated among the best cop/legal shows of all time imo. How far NBC has gone from all time classics from Bonzana to "Cosby" to "ER" "Cheers" and some others It amazing how far they fallen. Comcast buying them has been a epic fail.

Yeah but the Original one is on TNT...  :lol: Re-runs or not I still watch em... Saturday and Sunday mornings, I make sure to wake up just to watch em or I record them.  Also great that they have scenes from here in Riverdale.  :P

I still watch Law and Order and the Office on NBC (though the Office just went bye-bye), and also Chicago Fire. Pretty good shows, in my opinion. I hate Leno, glad to see him go. 

QM1 lets not jump the gun on Leno "retirement" yet. Remember 3-4 years ago with the Conan fiasco? However this time I think NBC will in near future i.e next 2-3 years will finally force Jay out "stage left."

Conan's best stuff was being edgy, they forced him to turn it down because his audience was not 'college kids'. I dunno about Fallon, but I'm guessing he's from the same boat. So if they forced him to tune whatever down to appeal to the older audience, he'll flop as well. I think they need to look for an outsider to take over or just take the hit from the older crowd and go younger, Kimmel's show hasn't changed much from moving up 30 min and he seems to be doing ok.

Archived