Does anyone still watch NBC-TV? Troubled network mulling big changes including exits of Leno & Lauer

Shortline Bus

QM1 lets not jump the gun on Leno "retirement" yet. Remember 3-4 years ago with the Conan fiasco? However this time I think NBC will in near future i.e next 2-3 years will finally force Jay out "stage left."

hehe, stage left. I like that. 

The problem with Channel 4 is too much news about everything BUT New York. It's okay to talk about NJ and Conneticut but Jesus Christ!! Put on more New York news!!! The other issue is that they're too damn serious and Lester Holt is so beyond being full of himself that it sickens me.  I watch Fox 5 in morning with Rosanna Scotto and Greg Kelly... Funny as hell... I'm glad Price left... He was funny but not nearly as cutting as Kelly is and Kelly didn't fit in well with the 10:00 crew because it's more serious though that Dari Alexander chick is a nice piece of eye candy. :D  Unless there's an NHL game or an NFL game on Channel 4 or some skiing or golf or other sports event, I don't bother.  

Come to think of it, you're right; I guess that's why I never cared for News 4.... Too dry/bland/serious; no humor whatsoever....

(This is the exact opposite of channel 11's news, which I actually watch to get a good laugh sometimes... they have too much damn fun w/ their news coverage; it's hard to take them serious at times.... I don't watch the morning news every morning like I used to years ago, anymore though.... That lie-no... lie-no, lie-no, lie-noooo (Lionel) clown irks the hell out of me; makes you wanna reach through the screen & punch him in the face... He looks like something you go as, on Halloween, to have people crack the hell up !)

As far as news 4's overcoverage of NJ & CT, yup - but I have to say channel 9's news is exponentially worse with it's NJ coverage (news 4 tends to talk more about CT than NJ, but either way, it's annoying as a NY-er)..... That's one reason why I stopped watching channel 9's news; if I wanted NJ news coverage, I'd move to Jersey for crying out loud....

Ch. 5's news is a healthy mix of seriousness & humor; I fux with it....

As for Dari Alexander, iono... she's one of those chicks to me that looks hot & funny-lookin at the same time....

Yeah but the Original one is on TNT...  :lol:

Re-runs or not I still watch em... Saturday and Sunday mornings, I make sure to wake up just to watch em or I record them.  Also great that they have scenes from here in Riverdale.  :P

Same.. I only watch the re-runs though (whenever they come on)....

Sam Waterston's ("McCoy's") closing arguments are classic!

As for Law & Order SVU specifically, it isn't the same w/o Detective Stabler....

Screw Ice-T; never liked his music & I don't like his acting either....

Come to think of it, you're right; I guess that's why I never cared for News 4.... Too dry/bland/serious; no humor whatsoever....

(This is the exact opposite of channel 11's news, which I actually watch to get a good laugh sometimes... they have too much damn fun w/ their news coverage; it's hard to take them serious at times.... I don't watch the morning news every morning like I used to years ago, anymore though.... That lie-no... lie-no, lie-no, lie-noooo (Lionel) clown irks the hell out of me; makes you wanna reach through the screen & punch him in the face... He looks like something you go as, on Halloween, to have people crack the hell up !)

As far as news 4's overcoverage of NJ & CT, yup - but I have to say channel 9's news is exponentially worse with it's NJ coverage (news 4 tends to talk more about CT than NJ, but either way, it's annoying as a NY-er)..... That's one reason why I stopped watching channel 9's news; if I wanted NJ news coverage, I'd move to Jersey for crying out loud....

As for Law & Order SVU specifically, it isn't the same w/o Detective Stabler....

Bro the reason why Ch.4 (and also all of the major 'free" NYC news channels i.e Chs. 2, 4, 5,7, 11, etc. except for of course NY1 and News12)is Jersey is one of only 2 states (other than Delaware) that does not have a major Fox, ABC, CBS or NBC station in their state.

It's same situation in Philly where their local NBC/CBS/Fox/ABC stations has a lot of coverage for South NJ/Delaware stories.

I remember the shows from the 90s that aired on NBC...3rd Rock from the Sun, Friends, Frasier...those were the days. I was too young to understand the material then but it's better than what's airing now.

I still watch SVU but I haven't been keeping up with the show like I used to...I really haven't kept up with most of my favorite programming cuz I've been so busy. But yeah, I watch NBC somewhat frequently, more than the other networks.

I remember the shows from the 90s that aired on NBC...3rd Rock from the Sun, Friends, Frasier...those were the days. I was too young to understand the material then but it's better than what's airing now.

I still watch SVU but I haven't been keeping up with the show like I used to...I really haven't kept up with most of my favorite programming cuz I've been so busy. But yeah, I watch NBC somewhat frequently, more than the other networks.

I liked "Friends." I still watch reruns of the show on other channels, still funny. Come to think of it, I did watch an episode of SVU last week on NBC.

Ch. 5's news is a healthy mix of seriousness & humor; I fux with it....

As for Dari Alexander, iono... she's one of those chicks to me that looks hot & funny-lookin at the same time....

Yeah Channel 9 has been bland and boring for years now and I always think of NJ when I think of them... Channel 11 is only a bit better and I get sick of them changing them damn name... For evening news, if I'm really interested, I'll read the Wall Street Journal in the office or the New York Times since we get both here.

Same.. I only watch the re-runs though (whenever they come on)....

Sam Waterston's ("McCoy's") closing arguments are classic!

Speaking of Sam Waterston, I was so excited to see him perform live years ago in Central Park in this play and God was he TERRIBLE! He was so stiff and bland that I had to leave eventually. I forget the name of the play but it was such a disappointment.  Now Robert DeNiro... That's a guy that can play many roles and do them damn well... By far my favorite actor...

As for Dari, yeah, she's a cutie...

Ice-T I can't take his acting seriously.  I mean out in the real world, he's been anti-cop and now suddenly he's playing one...  <_<

Yeah Channel 9 has been bland and boring for years now and I always think of NJ when I think of them... Channel 11 is only a bit better and I get sick of them changing them damn name... For evening news, if I'm really interested, I'll read the Wall Street Journal in the office or the New York Times since we get both here.

Speaking of Sam Waterston, I was so excited to see him perform live years ago in Central Park in this play and God was he TERRIBLE! He was so stiff and bland that I had to leave eventually. I forget the name of the play but it was such a disappointment.  Now Robert DeNiro... That's a guy that can play many roles and do them damn well... By far my favorite actor...

As for Dari, yeah, she's a cutie...

Ice-T I can't take his acting seriously.  I mean out in the real world, he's been anti-cop and now suddenly he's playing one...  <_<

Yeah, channel 9 reports too much Newark, NJ news...

There's enough people gettin stabbed & shot here in NYC enough for me to wanna hear about it happening in Newark....

Sam Waterston has the personality that only seems to fit in Law & Order (or, any other show where a serious role is being played).... Can't imagine he'd be any good/enjoyable outside of any role to the contrary.....

I can't take Ice-T seriously period; fake ass pimp...  LMAO when his own damn wife got smutted out by some no-name rapper....

Bro the reason why Ch.4 (and also all of the major 'free" NYC news channels i.e Chs. 2, 4, 5,7, 11, etc. except for of course NY1 and News12) is Jersey is one of only 2 states (other than Delaware) that does not have a major Fox, ABC, CBS or NBC station in their state.

It's same situation in Philly where their local NBC/CBS/Fox/ABC stations has a lot of coverage for South NJ/Delaware stories.

Didn't know that.... Still annoying IMO to have to hear as much CT/NJ news on ch 4 & 9.....

World news I can understand.... Too much coverage of news of the tri-state area sans NYC though, meh....

I agree, I care only about the local stuff. That's why fox 5 is the main channel I watch for the news, but when they do those idol stuff, that's when I switch to ch 11. Ch7, I've been sticking with more especially since they had the 4pm news. 1-4pm is like a dead zone. If I have a day off I just read the newspapers or do whatever work during this time if nothing good is on.

and i remember them forcing sue simmons out what is nbc 4 news like is Janice Huff still there doing the weather?

watch chicago fire after SVU you might like it

her contract was not renewed, plus I guess NBC worried she'll drop another f bomb. Older female anchors are forced out as they aren't 'pretty' to look at. Just a sad nature of the business.

Yes, Janice is still there.

her contract was not renewed, plus I guess NBC worried shell drop another f bomb. Older female anchors are forced out as they aren't 'pretty' to look at. Just a sad nature of the business.

and is janice huff still doing the weather at nbc?

I sure don't watch my local NBC station or any of its sister networks. I find NBC's programming to be very bland, serious and overall conservative. If I want to see some local news, I'll just tune into my local CBS station or its affaliate. Sometimes I'll even put up with FOX's bullshit they call news.

The only programing from NBC I actually enjoyed was Law & Order and its spin offs. Personally I rank them in this order (SVU, OG, CT, LA) with LA being the least enjoyable.

Question is has Arsenio returned 15 years too late? His 1st go around in the early '90's, many of his afflaites of his syndicated(non network) show were CBS stations which now air Letterman and thus reason he had a hit show then.

You know I can rememer his obsession with cleaning his ears with q-tip and rubbing alcohol in the middle of the show on air. He would talk about this with every other guest. You know, that stuck with me because I do that exact same thing! Just because of him! Lol.

I don't consider Fox News the same as the local fox affiliate news stations. Just like how I don't avoid the local NBC stations because of msnbc.

Still though, I prefer CBS's local news coverage.

You know I can rememer his obsession with cleaning his ears with q-tip and rubbing alcohol in the middle of the show on air. He would talk about this with every other guest. You know, that stuck with me because I do that exact same thing! Just because of him! Lol.

I actually heard that can induce bleeding from the earlobes, don't know if that is true or not however.

Still though, I prefer CBS's local news coverage.

I actually heard that can induce bleeding from the earlobes, don't know if that is true or not however.

Hmmmm.... Gotta research this, that's a good point.

If it causes bleeding it clould be because it is drying up the epithelial layer of skin in the ear canal causing it to crack and bleed. The ear canal is a very delicate part of the body. What I do know is that technically ear wax does help to protect the canal from unwanted patheogens and foriegn particles that can cause trama and infection to the ear. But too much creates a haven for bacteria to flourish. A bit of Personal Hygiene 101 for the masses.

I agree, I care only about the local stuff. That's why fox 5 is the main channel I watch for the news, but when they do those idol stuff, that's when I switch to ch 11. Ch7, I've been sticking with more especially since they had the 4pm news. 1-4pm is like a dead zone. If I have a day off I just read the newspapers or do whatever work during this time if nothing good is on.

Why did they ever add a 4pm news segment on channel 7 anyway.....

I've only been watching ESPN lately.....

I've been watching ESPN less; especially since I've been coming home later.....

This time a year, they're gonna OD on the "bracketology" stuff, which I don't care to hear about, since this has to be one of the worst NCAA basketball seasons in a while.... Would not be surprised if no #1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 seeds end up in the final four this year...... Absolute embarrassment.... I'm not watching the NBA draft this year either because for one, there's no one in college 'ball right now that stands out as being "that" #1 pick.....

and is janice huff still doing the weather at nbc?

yeah, miss piggy is still doing witchcraft meterology on news 4....

The only programing from NBC I actually enjoyed was Law & Order and its spin offs. Personally I rank them in this order (SVU, OG, CT, LA) with LA being the least enjoyable.

Yeah, SVU & the original were easily the most enjoyable for me (in that order)...

....After that, there's a HUGE dropoff, with the criminal intent & the LA series'; I couldn't stomach either one.... There was another one that only lasted a season, trial by jury or something another - only watched the first two or three episodes & decided not to watch the rest of that crap.... Although I thought the LA series was gonna last longer than a season (even though I didn't care for it), there was no way trial by jury was gonna last another season..... Even though criminal intent lasted a while, I found it disinteresting, and never cared for how the episodes would end a lot of the times.....

yeah, miss piggy is still doing witchcraft meterology on news 4....

:lol:  why is she miss piggy lol . When did they get rid of Len Berman on WNBC? i remember Warner wolf on WCBS (he got canned) and marvel Scott on WABC (he's a pedo i hear) and i remember Sal Marciano on WPIX.  i can't believe russ salzberg is still at WWOR   and i see WWOR has lots of new people? i only recognized russ salzberg and Audrey Puente?

:lol:  why is she miss piggy lol . When did they get rid of Len Berman on WNBC? i remember Warner wolf on WCBS (he got canned) and marvel Scott on WABC (he's a pedo i hear) and i remember Sal Marciano on WPIX.  i can't believe russ salzberg is still at WWOR   and i see WWOR has lots of new people? i only recognized russ salzberg and Audrey Puente?

Lol.... she don't look like a porker (a fatty) to you....

WWOR? wow, I haven't heard channel 9 actually be referred to that by anyone since the... 80's.

Yeah, these news personalities move all over the place nowadays....

As for Len Berman, our TV/broadcast guru here Shortline can correct me if I'm wrong, but he got fired sometime in 2010 b/c they aint wanna pay him (or something to that effect)....

Lol.... she don't look like a porker (a fatty) to you....

WWOR? wow, I haven't heard channel 9 actually be referred to that by anyone since the... 80's.

Yeah, these news personalities move all over the place nowadays....

As for Len Berman, our TV/broadcast guru here Shortline can correct me if I'm wrong, but he got fired sometime in 2010 b/c they aint wanna pay him (or something to that effect)....

WWOR-TV? That as old school as when WPIX(Pre CW days)was called "11 Alive" in late '70's/early '80's lol. And on Len Berman, B35 is correct, he was canned because he refused to take a salary cut (same reason Sue Simmons was fired last summer)

Why did they ever add a 4pm news segment on channel 7 anyway.....

I've been watching ESPN less; especially since I've been coming home later.....

To fill the void of Oprah's show being gone. I thought Katie's show would take over that 4pm spot, but oh well. Not gonna miss the soaps they choose to drop and keep the 4pm news.

Lol, I don't understand your fascination with her (huff). You are mad late on Len Berman, but at least he does a special on Fox 5 maybe once a week or month (very unclassy move from NBC, but at least they have had Beck on long enough so the firing of Berman wasn't a total hit). Wolf's firing, I won't forgive CBS for and the guy that replaced him is a news anchor, more wtf?

Russ is also on Fox 5, seems they save on paying 1 guy to do the sports on weekdays. Harry Martin was on Fox, but moved to Wor. Brenda Blackmon is still there iirc.

To fill the void of Oprah's show being gone. I thought Katie's show would take over that 4pm spot, but oh well. Not gonna miss the soaps they choose to drop and keep the 4pm news.

Lol, I don't understand your fascination with her (huff). You are mad late on Len Berman, but at least he does a special on Fox 5 maybe once a week or month (very unclassy move from NBC, but at least they have had Beck on long enough so the firing of Berman wasn't a total hit). Wolf's firing, I won't forgive CBS for and the guy that replaced him is a news anchor, more wtf?

Russ is also on Fox 5, seems they save on paying 1 guy to do the sports on weekdays. Harry Martin was on Fox, but moved to Wor. Brenda Blackmon is still there iirc.

Concourse Rupert Mudrock brough Ch.9 about 4 years ago, so Fox/Ch.5 is their "sister station."

Archived