Via Freehold, NJ

Brighton Local

I vacationed in Manalapan, NJ for a couple of days. Earlier today, my friend ran into the store to grab some stuff for a BBQ, I took a stroll across the Street, and took some shots of this Freight Line. This intersection is Route 9 and Taylors Mills Road. The Freight Line, I was told is active and usually runs by Wednesday evenings. Its only a diesel engine and the most 4-5 cars behind my freind had told me. Conrail?:confused:

DSCN2754.jpg

DSCN2755-1.jpg

DSCN2756.jpg

DSCN2757.jpg

DSCN2758.jpg

DSCN2759.jpg

Zachary

I heard Freehold and I had to stop. Zach man ur right near my door!!! Yes it's owned by Conrail (well now CSX) and it runs only on Wednesday evenung when Traffic is low in downtown Freehold because when the rail operated during friday afternoons, there was always an accident (due to no gates.) (NJT) wanted to use it for the M.O.M. line but it has been taking out of plan due to it crossing the battlefield.

• 3 months later...

Hi, Zach.

To piggyback on Trizzy's post, the job which serves this line runs out of Browns Yard in Old Bridge. He uses the Amboy Secondary as far west as Jamesburg and then switches to the Freehold Secondary.

A big event on this line is the annual Browns Yard Santa Train which operates on a Saturday a few weeks before Christmas. Usually consisting of two units and a caboose, he departs Browns for arrival at the old Pennsy passenger station in Freehold around Noon. After visits with Santa, the train then operates to Jamesburg with another stop to see Santa before returning to Browns. The equipment is usually quite festive with a big wreath, candy canes and tinsel adorning the consist. Santa rides the lead unit and it's a blast for everyone.

My little boy and I chased him all the way last year and got some great video. I'll post the date of this year's event as soon as I find out when it is.

Regards,

Bob

• 3 months later...

Thanks for reviving this thread I started some time ago. Beautiful shots man! Love ConRail!:tup:

The track is not CSX owned by the way its Conrail Shared Assets, power can be either CSX or NS and if were lucky a unit still in CR blue. The operation of the line is any day of the week, there is no set schedule for any line out of Browns Yard it changes depending on customers needs. The line actually continues to Farmingdale where it crosses the Southern Secondary old CNJ now CSAO freight line and would have continued on to the the NY&LB(now NJT NJCL) where it connected in Manasquan.

Shots from where the Freehold Industrial Track as its now called ends.

http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1481627

http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1481629

• 2 weeks later...

Very excellent!

The last photo shows some REALLY old buildings, do you know what those are/were?

Also, wow, that track has to be bare minimum for operating, at least it looks that way!:eek: Are they ever going to use composite or concrete ties with CWR you think?

The engines look like freight versions of the (NJT) diesels used on the bay head section. Cabs & short hood end look very similar, aside from the added HVAC unit on top! :cool:

- A

That was the old Helmetta Snuff(tobacco product I believe) Mill in Helmetta New Jersey(obviously named for the town). That was a GP38-2 leading the train today we usually get them along with the GP40-2's. Most NJT Geeps actually started life as a regular freight GP40 except for the CNJ units which were always built for passenger service. As for the track between Freehold and Jamesburg where it connects with the Amboy Secondary, it is a 10mph Max operating Speed, once on the Camden and Amboy(original name for what is now Amboy Secondary) its 35mph. The tracks would be rebuilt between Freehold and Jamesburg if the NJT MOM line is ever built as it would use this segment.

That was the old Helmetta Snuff(tobacco product I believe) Mill in Helmetta New Jersey(obviously named for the town). That was a GP38-2 leading the train today we usually get them along with the GP40-2's. Most NJT Geeps actually started life as a regular freight GP40 except for the CNJ units which were always built for passenger service. As for the track between Freehold and Jamesburg where it connects with the Amboy Secondary, it is a 10mph Max operating Speed, once on the Camden and Amboy(original name for what is now Amboy Secondary) its 35mph. The tracks would be rebuilt between Freehold and Jamesburg if the NJT MOM line is ever built as it would use this segment.

Camden & amboy, now there's a name i recognize!:eek: Thanks for the clarification on the locomotives. I really hope that rail extension is constructed, but first protect some of the sites from developers so they don't go tearing down cool old stuff worth saving! :cool:

- A

• 2 weeks later...

Archived