Positive and Negative Reputation (One Month Later)

Harry

Tell us if you like or dislike the current reputation system  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the current reputation or would you rather we go back to the old system?

• Yes - I like it and we should remain using it
    • No - I do not like it and we should go back to the old system

It seems to me that the ability to downvote versus simply upvoting a post with the Thanks button allows all forum members to discriminate between good posters, newcomers, and bad posters versus just no rep and good rep.

It seems to me that the ability to downvote versus simply upvoting a post with the Thanks button allows all forum members to discriminate between good posters, newcomers, and bad posters versus just no rep and good rep.

My thinking exactly... It also gives the opportunity for others to gang up on members whose opinions they don't like, which may lead to some posters becoming afraid to post.  I'm not sure that I like the whole idea of a forum becoming a popularity contest.  The whole idea is for folks to give their opinions and to have differing opinions and if that stops then it kind of defeats the purpose of the forum.

My thinking exactly... It also gives the opportunity for others to gang up on members whose opinions they don't like, which may lead to some posters becoming afraid to post.  I'm not sure that I like the whole idea of a forum becoming a popularity contest.  The whole idea is for folks to give their opinions and to have differing opinions and if that stops then it kind of defeats the purpose of the forum.

I admit I was guilty of that yesterday. :(

With that being said, if this system stays, then I'd like it if votes could appear as notifications, like how likes were notifications before.

It's not a matter of like or dislike to me, to be honest (for this reason, I won't vote in the poll, but I'll still leave feed/commentary)... Whether it stays or goes doesn't really matter to me, because I have not -neg repped one single person's post since the day it was implemented (even after having received some myself) .... And I don't plan on doing it either.

I said this before in a post (or maybe it was in the shoutbox, but I remember saying it) - I would rather address the person in a post if I disagree with something, rather than -neg rep them to death & go on about my business.... I'm not gonna lie though, I do crack up when someone says something so outlandish to the point where someone ends up with under -10 rep in a single post.... There's one guy on here that's deep in the red, well under -100 total rep..... Never stopped to think if that poor guy is just being picked on just for the sake of it, or what....

The one thing I will say though is, the -neg rep system isn't being abused (well, to the tune I thought it would be anyway).....

Gun to my head (decision), I'd say keep it - but again, if it goes, I won't feel a certain way about it either way....

It's usually the immature people who look at a downvote and see it as an opportunity to downvote further without being held accountable. I make it a rule to explain myself (if the post in question has not already been sufficiently responded to) if I downvote. And I'd have to have strong feelings about the content first.

And now that you mention it, many use the voting mechanism as a way to make a "statement" without elaborating. Then again, the fact that their "name" is there for scrutiny might discourage otherwise rampant downvoting.

It's usually the immature people who look at a downvote and see it as an opportunity to downvote further without being held accountable. I make it a rule to explain myself (if the post in question has not already been sufficiently responded to) if I downvote. And I'd have to have strong feelings about the content first.

And now that you mention it, many use the voting mechanism as a way to make a "statement" without elaborating. Then again, the fact that their "name" is there for scrutiny might discourage otherwise rampant downvoting.

I agree... It is very childish and immature...

Regardless of whichever system we use, I feel that we should get a notification (or at least put an option to receive a notification or not) when anyone up votes or down votes any post, like we had with the old system.

I feel we should get notifications anytime someone likes (or dislikes) a post of ours, but to be honest, I liked it when you could just like posts. The dislike feature has been abused in some cases here just because someone doesn't like someone else. It just makes this site more like Facebook and I don't think it should be that way.

I think that people should be allowed to change their vote, because people (including me) have pressed the down button instead of up accidentally. That's the only thing I don't like about the current like system.

It seems like there are more upvotes than there were "likes" with the old system. Are people more willing to click the little green arrow, perhpas because their name does not directly appear on the post now?

Actually you press the number and it says right there.

I think that people should be allowed to change their vote, because people (including me) have pressed the down button instead of up accidentally. That's the only thing I don't like about the current like system.

right, but you need to take the time to press it. with the old system, it just showed up for all to see. 

Agreed and +1. That leaves the potential for abuse of this system exactly as you said it. A person with a differing opinion does not validate a downvote just because. People has a right to speak their mind, period. The upside to this is that the voting system discourages personal attacks between members which I can remember as being Harry's intentions of implementing this trial system. That's how I see it. So this trial system has it's ups and downs. I still think the former like system was actually better IMHO.

We should'nt let this internet community become a pecking order for those in the minority who are unique in their opinions and outlook on the happenings of life.

^^^ And this. It's happened to many members here where they hit the wrong button and can't reverse it. +1 for that. That's something to consider concerning the technical aspect of this new system.

I don't mind which one is kept. Either will do.

To me, I could care less as it's not as people go out of there way to down vote posts. I just see the down vote as something to motivate members to make worthwhile posts and contributions.

Honestly it doesn't matter to me, if you like my post fine, if you don't, I don't care either.

But between the two, I like the like/dislike a lot more as I can voice my opinion more.  Though with some of the immaturity that goes on here, they dislike without reasoning or replying which gets annoying sometimes.  Or they just dislike thinking they know a situation better than you when they really don't.

Other than that, it's just an online number to me and won't affect my life either way.

Honestly it doesn't matter to me, if you like my post fine, if you don't, I don't care either.

But between the two, I like the like/dislike a lot more as I can voice my opinion more.  Though with some of the immaturity that goes on here, they dislike without reasoning or replying which gets annoying sometimes.  Or they just dislike thinking they know a situation better than you when they really don't.

Other than that, it's just an online number to me and won't affect my life either way.

Well stated, for real. It's only the internet which does'nt equate to a person's real personal life.. How true.

Edit: Shit. Out of rep points again!?

I've got to agree with B35,CenSin,Gorgor, and a few of the other posters on this topic. I think that notifications might be a plus if it's not too hard to implement. What does concern me is that I've seen posts with down votes but many times the people doing it won't leave a post elaborating why the original post was down-voted in the first place. People should have the decency to stand behind their + or - vote and not do it in the shadows. I rather like the give and take where someone like myself might not be totally aware of a particular idea or location and the responses to the thread shed more light on the topic. When a person gets too many down-votes he/she might never respond to the following posts therefore keeping many of us somewhat in the dark about the whole thread. IMO down-voting, without elaboration, is being childish and detracts from our community. Carry on.

I've got to agree with B35,CenSin,Gorgor, and a few of the other posters on this topic. I think that notifications might be a plus if it's not too hard to implement. What does concern me is that I've seen posts with down votes but many times the people doing it won't leave a post elaborating why the original post was down-voted in the first place. People should have the decency to stand behind their + or - vote and not do it in the shadows. I rather like the give and take where someone like myself might not be totally aware of a particular idea or location and the responses to the thread shed more light on the topic. When a person gets too many down-votes he/she might never respond to the following posts therefore keeping many of us somewhat in the dark about the whole thread. IMO down-voting, without elaboration, is being childish and detracts from our community. Carry on.

Bingo.

Matter of fact I think we need a re-vote on this topic because even though most are in favor of keeping the system according to the poll they are apparently not voicing out. Most of the posts I am seeing here are giving valid critisizms against this trial rep system contrary to what we see in the polls as of now, in favor of it. That speaks volumes.

Perhaps posts should be liked/disliked individually without the system counting the votes towards a poster's "grade." Posters should not be quantified as "good" or "bad" because their views are popular/unpopular. The overall metric might not even mean much if people are voting based on whether they like what the other person is saying. I say confine the results of the votes to the posts themselves.

On the other hand, there should be a Report button to report bad posts. And then those should be reflected on a poster's profile, because then the "bad reputation" metric is actually useful.

EDIT:

The number should probably be put between the upvote arrow and the downvote arrow. They are like right next to each other, inviting disaster.

Good Info Joe thanks btw voted it down by mistake :rolleyes:

Archived