Positive and Negative Reputation (One Month Later)

Harry

Tell us if you like or dislike the current reputation system  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the current reputation or would you rather we go back to the old system?

• Yes - I like it and we should remain using it
    • No - I do not like it and we should go back to the old system

I've got to agree with B35,CenSin,Gorgor, and a few of the other posters on this topic. I think that notifications might be a plus if it's not too hard to implement. What does concern me is that I've seen posts with down votes but many times the people doing it won't leave a post elaborating why the original post was down-voted in the first place. People should have the decency to stand behind their + or - vote and not do it in the shadows. I rather like the give and take where someone like myself might not be totally aware of a particular idea or location and the responses to the thread shed more light on the topic. When a person gets too many down-votes he/she might never respond to the following posts therefore keeping many of us somewhat in the dark about the whole thread. IMO down-voting, without elaboration, is being childish and detracts from our community. Carry on.

there are reasons with the positive votes where people don't comment on: if the person shares the idea stated, there's no need to restate it or they like it and choose to let that person 'speak for them'. Now as for the negative votes, there are some cases where the poster just types an incomprehensible mess of a post that makes you wonder 'wtf did that person write?' or the idea is so 'far out' (the UFO thread etc), that it kinda speaks for itself why the person got so many negative votes. So in a sense, I understand what you mean about defending why a person voted the way they did, but otoh, the votes are so there's less of a need to post a response that may or may not be related to the topic and be distracting. Now if it is something like a well thought up post but siding on an unpopular stance, that I do agree deserves an explanation than just a vote down.

It seems like there are more upvotes than there were "likes" with the old system. Are people more willing to click the little green arrow, perhpas because their name does not directly appear on the post now?

Come to think of it, I have to agree... It does seem like there are more +rep being given out (overall), compared to likes....

I've got to agree with B35,CenSin,Gorgor, and a few of the other posters on this topic. I think that notifications might be a plus if it's not too hard to implement. What does concern me is that I've seen posts with down votes but many times the people doing it won't leave a post elaborating why the original post was down-voted in the first place. People should have the decency to stand behind their + or - vote and not do it in the shadows. I rather like the give and take where someone like myself might not be totally aware of a particular idea or location and the responses to the thread shed more light on the topic. When a person gets too many down-votes he/she might never respond to the following posts therefore keeping many of us somewhat in the dark about the whole thread. IMO down-voting, without elaboration, is being childish and detracts from our community. Carry on.

The notifications were cool, but I eventually got tired of seeing a 15, 20, w/e # in superscript on the little bell icon like every week (is when I would clear it out/check the posts that thanks were being given to)..... It would be kind of stupid though to see a negative number in that little red box next to the bell (if you ended up with less -neg rep than more +rep in a given instance or w/e).....

The point about -neg reps & explanations, is pretty much what I was gettin at (although I didn't use the adjective of childishness).... If you disapprove, you should explain yourself (again, unless a particular post is so asinine/obvious to neg rep it that it's not even deserving of a reply).....

Do you know what could be helpful too, a delete button.

A delete button that would do what exactly? Delete your own post or something..... Now that's the last thing we need on here.

People making commentaries then deleting them to save face when they're being checked on something....

Archived