A Double Parker's Manifesto, by jcoltrane of city-data

BrooklynIRT

This nonsense makes me never want to own a car and makes me want to be on the road as a vehicle operator as little as possible.

A Double Parker's Manifesto, by jcoltrane

Read this here if you want (see pages 1 and 3): http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/1777293-double-parking-busy-streets-where-buses.html

01-21-2013, 05:03 AM
jcoltrane
befriend

2,646 posts, read 2,048,967 times
Listening to you two is a bit amusing!!

Two things mentioned are true.

One, who CARES about the bus??!! Particularly on Nostrand Avenue. Sorry, if it offends, but in Brooklyn ONLY kids and poor people ride busses!!!

In Bed Stuy, Crown Heights, the people affected are on the low end.

Once down by Prospect Lefferts Gardens, Nostrand opens up considerably, but things do get tight between Linden and Church, then things open up again!!

The fact is ticketing Has increased significantly on Nostrand from Empire to Church! Try double parking in front of Allen's Bakery with regularity, eventually you will be ticketed. Back in the day when there were fewer bakeries Allan's used to be notorious!

Church and Nostrand is another notorious spot, not only a busy commerical spot, but also, a major Two Fare Zone subway stop (for East Flatbush). So, lots of taxis and private cars dropping people off and picking people up.

The fact is that spot is policed heavily, to the chagrin of residents, especially during rush hours, to discourage the 'Dollar vans/cars' which compete with MTA buses.

I once got into a chest to chest with a (black) cop, for disrespectfully addressing my GF, while she was dropping me at the station, on my way to work. Cop needed to show some difference, given who we were!

So, as far as policing, things aren't quite as it may appear.

Second, absolutely correct, it is not so much "who you know", but rather who you ARE!

For example, Plaza Auto Mall pays a LOT more *taxes* and has a lot more clout, than the average bus rider!!!

Similarly, with the commercial strips, Double Parking serves the business owners who pay the taxes and are necessary to have a *viable* neighborhood!! They also provide employment and economic activity, which is vital, particularly in the poorer areas.

These people matter more than the bus riders!

Now, take Prospect Lefferts Gardens (actually it is the very edge of the neighborhood, and is more fully the old "Pigtown" area), back in the day there was very little ticketing, and traffic flowed relatively smoothly. Then Allan's became more and more popular, and more and more people from all over the area, and particularly outside the neighborhoods, increasingly frequented the Bakery. Easter is the absolute worst, as Carribeans have traditional Bakery goods which they eat on that day. Allan's in those days, had lines ALL the way out the store and down the block, with half hour waits!! 

Double AND triple parking became such an issue, that the middle and upper middle residents, many of whom were politically connected, used their clout to get the situation under control.

So, again, who you are does matter. The people riding the bus, aren't anybody. Perhaps unfortunate, but such is life.

One thing that WILL alter things, for the worst, imo, will be these STUPID *BRT* lanes the Mayor and his administration have planned for Nostrand; or have they already been implemented?

This planned stupidity is going to create an absolute traffic nightmare!! Nostrand Avenue is simply not wide enough to implement such a thing.

Btw, what are doing on the bus for such a length passing thru so many neighborhoods? On your way to school? Kingsborough??

If so, why not take the subway, then switch to the bus at Flatbush. Faster for sure.

[+] Rate this post positively

01-21-2013, 06:04 PM
jcoltrane
befriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor 
This. Back in the '80s there would be triple parking on Nostrand Avenue for Allan's. My pops knows him personally and we would always stop in for pound cake, sugar cake, harddough bread and meat patties.
I DO remember the days....

A lot better these days, as the store has been enlarged, containing the line AND making for faster service. Today, you are far more likely to get ticketed. If I recall, I was ticketed for parking at a hydrant right around the corner on Maple, next to Mr. Arrington's old office. Ran in, ran out, and SHT!

Back in the day, such would NEVER occur, so the OP is not fully aware of present policing, despite the continued traffic issues.

On the now rare occaisons I'm over there, it is sheer stubborn refusal to change habits which causes me to continue to double park and park at that hydrant, which once was so common to the neighborhood.

I must add, the area was far less dense, when the habits of a lifetime were formed.

Btw, even I used to get pissed at the "triple" parkers, not much of that nowadays! Not sure where else on Nostrand they triple park, but not surprised.

01-21-2013, 07:23 PM
jcoltrane
befriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdiesel 
how do you triple park on Nostrand in these areas? does this not make the road impassable since it is four lanes and two are parking lanes (one of which is supposed to be a moving lane rather than a parking lane during rush hours but nobody obeys that regulation)?
You're not a NYer are you....

Parking lane (occupied with transient), double parked car, triple parked car, moving lane, bus stop!!!

No, nobody obeys the regulations, who cares!!!

Regulations are for the *anal*, this is Brooklyn! If you were anal, you were unlikely to survive for long....

You seem to be attempting to impose a *Transplant* mentality upon BROOKLYN. I think that must be what is irritating to you. Black Brooklyn refuses to supplant to the Transplant order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany 
How doesn't matter. Its done. This is why you see some head-ons as people cross the double yellow lines at above street legal speed. Many people dont slow down to try to pass safely. This is why in numerous areas the yellow lines have been replaced by high center concrete islands.
No "head ons" in this part of Brooklyn. Most avenues have been long made into one ways.

01-21-2013, 07:26 PM
jcoltrane
befriend

Quote:
it is if nobody double parks and people pay attention to the no standing signs. what difference will it even make to you if they are just going to encroach on the bus lane anyway if somebody is double parked in the 2nd lane (from the left), or even if nobody is double parked, as is done now except that now there is no bus lane?
Didn't quite get all that, BUT the realit is there is NOT enough room to accommodate the traffic!

There is TWO lanes of traffic, which in many parts, irregardless of obstructions, barely contains the existing traffic loads. Specifically, the MANY choke points, particularly in and around heavy commercial districts. This is most a@ute during rush hours!

Where is the traffic supposed to go?

The only solution from soley a BRT standpoint, w/b to TAKE one of the existing PARKING lanes, which I believe is precisely what is intended!!

This w/b disastrous! There simpy is NOWHERE for the vehicles to go. No addional parking capacity whatsoever. None!

This is a nightmare scenario for local residents. Moreover, it is a negative outlook for local businesses, WHERE are their customers upposed to park???

In the boroughs, vehicle owners will NEVER switch and use public transport, busses! So, what is the point? Rather they will simply stop doing bussiness and visiting the local shops and businesses!

This w/b disastorous for local busineeses, commercial districts, and local economoies. PARTICULARLY IN THE POORER AND/OR MARGINAL AREAS!!!

BRTs on narrow roadways, such as Nostrand Ave is simply STUPID! Designed and planned, NOT by local residents, but by public transport fanatics, NOT in the interest of the residents of the various localities, but in the interest of a political and lifestyle agenda FOREIGN to the neighborhoods and Brooklyn itself!

I can guarantee you, nobody in PLG/Wingate asked for or is desirious of BRT service and/or lanes. The homeowners, vurtually all of whom afe vehicle owners, DO NOT ride busses, and certainly NOT any great length of Nostrand Ave!

For example, WHO rides the bus say from Bed Stuy to Madison??? Nobody! Except kids going to schools!! Soo, whag is the point of BRT on Nostrand?? There is none!

Back to "choke points", for example, traffic is and has been for YEARS, choked up during morning, afternoon and evening rush, for a couple blocks before Linden Blvd. In fact, from Church Ave to Lenox Road, is just wall to wall cars; and, at varying times can take 15 to 30 minutes or more to negotiate!!

In the past, for me during those time, the area was a NO GO! I would go blocks out of my way to Albany to avoid the choke points at Nostrand, as well as New York Aves.

Reserving a driving lane for BRT service will excerbate the circumstance 10 fold! Taking a parking lane for BRT service will excerbate an already IMPOSSSIBLE parking circumstance! One where, presently, it is not unusual to park FORU blocks from one's home regularly, and to drive around 30 minutes or more searching for a parking space.

01-21-2013, 07:29 PM
jcoltrane
befriend

Quote:
seventhfloor suppose you have a four lane unidirectional road like Nostrand between Flushing and Eastern Pkwy and between Sullivan Pl and Farragut Rd (it is only three lanes between Eastern and Sullivan). now suppose the right curb lane is always a parking lane, the lane next to it is a bus lane, the next lane over is a parking lane (in the middle of the road, not next to any curb), and in the left curb lane nobody is supposed to be stopped at any time. oh and the parking lane in the middle of the road actually becomes a moving lane during rush hours.

do you park in one of the moving lanes (the ones that are always supposed to move, including the bus lane) not the one that is only supposed to move during rush hours) on such a road? why or why not?
What are you talking about??? "Unidirectional"??? Are we talking tires or the streets of Brooklyn. You mean "one way", that is NYC lingo!

First, you keep focusing on morning and I guess evening rush hour. There are many more hours of the day. Most people do NOT "triple" park during morning rush!

When it was more popular to do so, it occurred during the day, qnd sometimes into early evening rush. Moreover, nobody is so stupid as to do so where it wasn't, space wise, feasible. Like Seveth said, the tendancy is to park as close to the next car as possible, while leaving *just* enough room for cars to pass, generally on the right.

Also, triple parking is not normally *random*, but in spots which have become habitual, generally, to very busy local businesses.

Btw, Im e noticed that triple parking, even blocking whole streets, occurs very often, on the daily, around some grammar schools. Mothers dropping off/picking up their children. Happens every day at when school lets out on 35th Ave in Astoria!

Anyway, re your question,

By "bus lane" do you mean the parking lane, which during rush hour is made into a moving/buslane? I have a vague recollection, as I am rarely over there during morning rush, and have never noticed during evening.

Anyway, as I've said, nobody triple parks during rush, as it is not necessary.

Even though the street widens (at Sullivan), the number of lanes remains the same. The widening does make triple parking more feasible, per Allan's Bakery, just a few blocks down Nostrand.

IF, you are aking, whether Seventh or I will choose to park in a so called "bus lane" on Nostrand and other BROOKLYN aves.

YES! Though, one is only stopping or standing, temporarily/momentarily, NOT parking (which is not temprary).

Why?

Simple. I've been doing so, long before there was a "bus lane"! Long before (some idiot) truned parking lane into a moving lane. My neighborhood, my town, who told these Aholes to make changes w/o consulting ME and the rest of the people and residents I know?!?

Besides, the Nostrand bus, at best, runs 20 minutes or more in between, plenty of time to stop and do what one needs. If the bus, happens to come, oh well! In such circumstances, I'll generally have my car within eyesight, and I'll run out and move it.

The reality, though, is that those "Brownies" in Blue are always roaming, so one must be cautious, and "stopping" during rush is not done as much as once was.

I got a question, if you are going to ride the bus, why do you expect for traffic to be free flowing?? It is the bus!! You want to flow free, then get a car!! In Brooklyn, I can get anywhere tow or three times faster in a car!! Kinda oxymoronic to expect such on the bus!

So what goes said about people who drive and takes mass transportation?

Anyways, I #$@%ing hate people who "triple" park.  Double parking, I'm fine with as I'm guilty of that, and most people do it regardless of road laws anyway.  But triple parking?  Are you serious?

If anyone has been around the Avenue U and Nostrand Ave area should know this 1000%.  I'm not trying to be an a$$hole but people love to triple park around that Kosher Palace shop on E 29 ST causing so much BS for the B36/B44 turnarounds there.

But again, I don't understand why people complain about getting a ticket for double parking, you're asking for it when you do it.  I know I'm risking it so I don't really complain when I do it.  It's a hit or miss but I don't double park if there's a crap load of traffic though.

Reading that just made me mad- if anything its the retards who LIKE double parking on busy roads like that that piss me off more than anything on the road.

These people are no one. They might have had political influence back in the day but where are their "beloved" politicians now?

That's right. They're busy screwing over the very people who put their trust in them so very long ago.

We have a transit system for a reason. To call those riders "nobodies" is just asking for trouble.

not as mad as it made me.

if somebody absolutely cannot find parking anywhere, I have no problem with them double parking as long as they do not do it on a street where a bus runs and do not do it in such a way that they cause huge traffic pileups or delay bus service.

wait, there is more from him:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/1810526-hows-parking-forest-hills-if-you.html#post28517290

trn.gif Yesterday, 01:32 PM
trn.gif trn.gif trn.gif trn.gif trn.gif befriend

2,646 posts, read 2,053,906 times
trn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.giftrn.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 trn.gif
After this year I'm thinking I might head into deeper queens to get an apt which isn't a shoebox. 

I also have my car back in Michigan so if I move to farther out, I'm probably bringing my car back.

How's parking though? (I have a nice car and really don't want it to get f'd by other incompetent S-heads).

Are there apartments with parking spots at all around those parts?
Virtually, if not literally, no matter what you do, if you park your car, at any time, on the streets, in a parking garage (some are better than others), in a parking lot, in NYC, your car WILL show the consequences.

It is simply a reality of life in and around NYC. Your car will not stay Michigan suburban *nice*. Observe, how many cars do you see on the streets of NYC in such nice condition?

With some exception, ALL have scratches and dings, particularly on the bumpers! If you can a avoid parking on the streets of Manhattan and the boroughs, and garage it at home, then you stand a fighting chance; especially, if you can, also, afford to detail it once or twice per month.

Such is the case with all those shiny flawless usually expensive cars you do see about! They also aren't normally used as daily drivers, but as *vanity* pieces, brought to show off, and attract women.

I don't live in Forest Hills, but that doen't matter to this subject! Parkiing as in most urbanized areas is a nightmare. FH being one of the worst, given the incredibly HIGH density, and percentage of relatively middle class incomes, which afford vehicles! Parking on the streets w/b an inconvenient PITA! Only truly doable, IF you commute daily by car, which means you are up and out, BEFORE it is time for the car to be moved. Consequently alt side parking is less of an issue.

If you commute by subway and not car, then alt side parking w/b the bane of your existence, if you street park!

That said, there are many buildings which have parking. Two problems with that, one is that MOST are coops; two, most have LIMITED parking, meaning each apartment does NOT come with a parking space!

The best chance at getting a parking space is in a newly built, newly sold or rented building. In which case, you w/use a Broker and be specific in your wants, such as parking. Parking w/also be an additional cost, in the range of $150 to $200 per month. Can you afford that and the rent?

Probably, the best *parking* circumstance is an apartment in a private house, which includes parking in a garage or driveway. Usually, at an additional cost, though sometimes you can find a deal with parking included. Again, Brokers are your best chance at finding such, thoug CL might work.

That's basically FH and most urban areas of Queens.

Of course, you can go further out into suburban and/or suburban like Queens, Bayside for example. Further out there are lots of "Garden Complexes" which have parking. Many are straight rentals, but the best are coops. You are highly likely to find a coop rental; or, you could simply purchase. Prices are relatively reasonable, relative to Manhattan, Brooklyn, and say FH.

Generally street parking a *nice* car is not the best idea. It will result in higher insurance, and the out of pocket and mental cost, of consistently dealing with dings and scratches, and having your side mirror taken off periodically (folding mirrors helps a lot!) is just debilitating. You get to a point of not giving a dmn, which sort of defeats the intent of having a nice vehicle.

Btw, I had a brand new vehicle which I parked on the streets of Astoria, and have considered moving to FH w/vehicle.

I have lived in Brooklyn since childhood w/family vehicle; and, have had personal vehicle since very young adulthood. I am a born and bred NYer and a staunch participant of American car culture! Only the poor, weirdos, and Transplants don't have vehicles in NYC, the exception being the average Manhattanites. Most Manhattanites, of means, also have vehicles.

Thought I'd add that before the vehicle prejudiced nimrod public transport fanatics, start throwing their fantasy BS!

Every family I grew up with, all my friends and family OWN vehicles! Just like the rest of America! NYC is not an exception to this!

Surprised you are deciding to give it another year, as it appeared you are rather dissatisfied with much of NYC, its people and its way of life.

Wow, the ignorance in that post is mind blowing, all my friends that live in Manhattan don't have cars, wtf?

I'm by-far NOT RICH and I own a car?

The hell is this guy's problem? I would definitely want to see this guy face to face.

Wow, the ignorance in that post is mind blowing, all my friends that live in Manhattan don't have cars, wtf?

I'm by-far NOT RICH and I own a car?

The hell is this guy's problem? I would definitely want to see this guy face to face.

he gives off a bad vibe and I completely understand how you feel, but I really want to do something to fix the problem of double parking on streets where buses run. I would want to be nowhere near such persons (under most circumstances)

I think traffic/parking law enforcement is a sham when it comes to double parking because it is a band-aid solution that revolves around politics and money and nothing more.

the solution I had in mind was concrete strips on the yellow lines on roads where buses run that have only one lane in each direction like much of Nostrand south of Farragut (and concrete strips to physically separate the bus lane from the other lanes on unidirectional roads having bus lanes). that way if a vehicle double parks or stands in the bus lane it is physically impossible for another vehicle to circumvent it, and any would-be double parkers/bus lane violators would think really hard before double parking or standing in the bus lane b/c of the serious tie-ups s/he would cause (vehicles piling up and unable to go anywhere due to the presence of the concrete strip).

it may sound crazy, but I do not see these problems getting solved unless they are brought to a head. nobody would want to block a lane that is physically separated from other lanes b/c they would realize how much chaos they would cause if they did such a thing (vehicles piling up behind the offending vehicle, horns blaring in response, creating a scene, police being called, offending vehicles being towed away much more than they are now since they would be creating disasters on the road by blocking physically separated lanes and whatnot).

seriously, bus riders should not have to settle for all this garbage, especially considering how difficult it is to expand the transit system (no subway expansion in the outer boros in the foreseeable future etc). if we are not going to greatly expand the subway system, why should bus riders have to deal with so much garbage with people double parking on streets where buses run and blocking bus lanes? enough is enough and it needs to stop. I do not see this problem being solved unless bus lanes are physically separated and concrete strips are on the yellow lines on roads where buses run that have only one lane in each direction

two notes: 1. I posted as detroitdiesel on city-data, 2. I know delivery vehicles have to park somewhere to deliver stuff to stores. I am not saying it is their problem if they cannot park in front of stores or whatever. what they need are (at least) more delivery zones. my frustration is directed mainly at private vehicle owners and cabs/commuter vans that double park on streets buses use and encroach on bus lanes

That idiot just likes to hear himself talk. He thinks just because he underlines, uses capital letters, bolds words, and all that, it makes that stuff more true.

As I said in that thread, it's amazing somebody can write so much, and yet write nothing at all. The density of nothingness in that guy's posts is amazing.

@BrooklynIRT - From my neighborhood, double-parking is pretty common to the point it's a hit/miss when it comes to ticketing and enforcement.  They are targeting meters more than that, they'll just tell them to move.

Personally I try not to double-park on a busy street, the worst I'll probably do is hug the last parked car before a bus-stop or hydrant when dropping someone off/picking someone up.  When it comes to double parking, I try to do it on private/residential streets or near drive-way openings on those streets as well.

I could care less about enforcement. it is a sham. the fact that nobody cares to make buses faster (SBS is not enough) by being considerate (the job of those who are not elected officials) or by making it physically impossible for people to park in bus lanes or double park on roads where buses run (the job of elected officials) incenses me.

it would probably require a petition to get elected officials to get the city to put concrete strips on roads that have just one lane in each direction (like much of Nostrand south of Farragut) in order to really discourage double parking on streets where buses run.

I do not like when it is done on streets that have (A) bus route(s) and more than one lane in each direction either (like Flatbush south of Clarendon), but I would not push for concrete strips on double lines on such roads (at least not yet). it is obviously a much bigger problem when you have a road that has just one lane in each direction and half the road is impassable, and one has to start somewhere with this plan.

in a nutshell, traffic enforcement is useless. hearing those word makes me cringe. tired of hearing that whether or not a bus runs properly depends on politics, money, and this whole circus that revolves around traffic enforcement. traffic enforcement itself is a circus. the whole damn thing consists of a circus revolving around a circus!

I could care less about enforcement. it is a sham. the fact that nobody cares to make buses faster (SBS is not enough) by being considerate (the job of those who are not elected officials) or by making it physically impossible for people to park in bus lanes or double park on roads where buses run (the job of elected officials) incenses me.

They need to enforce it more or the ticket amount has to go up.  I believe hydrant and double parking tickets are $120 at the moment and more in the city.

it would probably require a petition to get elected officials to get the city to put concrete strips on roads that have just one lane in each direction (like much of Nostrand south of Farragut) in order to really discourage double parking on streets where buses run.

That will not stop double parking. Did you ever experience the driving in Chinatown, Manhattan?  The streets there are less wide and people still double park out the a$$.

And yes the NYPD's Traffic Agency is bogus, they do more meter watching then enforce every traffic law in NY anyway.

They need to enforce it more or the ticket amount has to go up.  I believe hydrant and double parking tickets are $120 at the moment and more in the city.

Yes.

That will not stop double parking. Did you ever experience the driving in Chinatown, Manhattan?  The streets there are less wide and people still double park out the a$$.

And yes the NYPD's Traffic Agency is bogus, they do more meter watching then enforce every traffic law in NY anyway.

never driven in Chinatown. are you saying that people double park there in such a way that the roads become impassable?

another thing I wanted to know: who determines how high NYC traffic fines are? NYS legislature? NYC council? and what might be the upper limit for double parking fines? I just know there are politicians that would cry foul over double parking fines they would consider "too high."

well I suppose the decision to make the law tougher on those who wish to double park on streets where buses run would rest with the NYS legislature since they make the laws. I know the city council would not have the power to make that particular decision..and it also seems like the NYS legislature would determine the fines for double parking on streets where buses run as that does not sound like a city council decision either

never driven in Chinatown. are you saying that people double park there in such a way that the roads become impassable?

Pretty much, most of the smaller streets are so packed that a double parked car is just a car sitting on the street.  Nothing can get by it.  Luckily no buses go through there.  Though it makes it harder for the delivery trucks to get by as well.

he is scum now I will prepare to ROAST HIS ASS.

Well go do your roasting, frying, sauteing, barbecuing, whatever, there on city data then....

Whoever this dude is, has gotten far more attention here already than I ever would've given him.....

That idiot just likes to hear himself talk.

He thinks just because he underlines, uses capital letters, bolds words, and all that, it makes that stuff more true.

As I said in that thread, it's amazing somebody can write so much, and yet write nothing at all. The density of nothingness in that guy's posts is amazing.

That's that 1990's internet culture - Where people did all that corny shit (including excessive usage of special characters) just to get their posts noticed (was all it was)..... Always found that crap to be rather juvenile.....

Pretty much, most of the smaller streets are so packed that a double parked car is just a car sitting on the street.  Nothing can get by it.  Luckily no buses go through there.  Though it makes it harder for the delivery trucks to get by as well.

Yup, and it's those same delivery trucks that's the culprit behind the double parking in chinatown too.... Some of those streets I'm always amazed at how drivers can get a truck down them in the first place.... I'm around Bowery quite a bit & often use those side streets when I'm walking from Canal (Q) to get to where I have to go....

Silly jcoltrane, people do need fast buses without double-parked cars in the way, and people do indeed exist while they are breathing and living, so do quit complaining about a miniscule detail and acknowledge the fact the people have an identity all the time, even when riding public transit lol.

Well go do your roasting, frying, sauteing, barbecuing, whatever, there on city data then....

Whoever this dude is, has gotten far more attention here already than I ever would've given him.....

That's that 1990's internet culture - Where people did all that corny shit (including excessive usage of special characters) just to get their posts noticed (was all it was)..... Always found that crap to be rather juvenile.....

Yup, and it's those same delivery trucks that's the culprit behind the double parking in chinatown too.... Some of those streets I'm always amazed at how drivers can get a truck down them in the first place.... I'm around Bowery quite a bit & often use those side streets when I'm walking from Canal (Q) to get to where I have to go....

Answering the text in red, well some of the trucks double park because of people unable to read signs that the sidewalk is for commercial parking at certain times.  And people wonder why it cost so much to park there in mid-day hours, because commercial parking is more than regular.

Archived