3rd Rail Compatability LIRR/MNRR - would side mounting the 3rd rail solve the problem?

imagineverything

As I recall, There was a plan on the table back in the late 90s to merge both RR's to form MTA Railroad. Like they were trying to do with bringing "Regional Bus". So its not like the idea of a merger is new. IMHO, Not merging the two is because of the all mighty dollar-everyone wants to keep theirs. 2 RR presidents will no longer be needed,etc. In all honesty, if the MTA truly wanted to "Spend every dollar wisely" as Walder use to B.S., this would have been done. Everyone can say how this isnt possible, but its all because the ones in charge really dont want to go thru all the "red tape". 

Thats just my two cents. 

Yes i have rode both systems. No i dont work for them. But I do have a excellent idea of the politics that operate on the inside. Im not just a Railfan. Ive learned more in my 35 years than most people claim and Im STILL learning more. And from what ive seen, Its straight up politics and $$$ NOT to merge the two. 

They would be happier with no freight in the system at all, and may choose that path in 2017.

No what will happen is one of the following. LIRR will take back freight operations (highly unlikely) or either give NY&A another lease or put it up to bids from other operators for another 20 year lease or what ever term lease that LIRR/MTA wants to give.

And you continue to ignore the New York and Atlantic Railway.

Cutting the LIRR off from Penn station will result in calls for your head on a silver platter.Atlantic and ESA will never be able to hdndle the entirr lode of the LIRR. You just ended dual mode service into manhattan, as the C3s don't go to Atlantic and don't fit into the 63rd street tunnel, which is also not sufficiently ventilated for them to run there outside of extreme emergencies.

Cutting it off from the rest of the North American rail network does NOT automatically turn it into the subway. First of all, NYCTA can only operate within the city by law. This means you would need to change the law, which therefor involves the three ring circus of a state government we have to put up with. Also, they would have to file to be allowed to abandon railroad service with the federal government before they can make those sorts of cuts. Which I'm dam sure, for the betterment of this city and for Long Island, they going to say no. All of my trash is now brought to a large building and loaded onto train cars for long distance transportation. And it travels over LIRR owned tracks. You're going to tell me that I have to put up with more trucks on the road around here because it gets in the way if your grand ideas? You going to tell me you'd end the wonderful gains in freight rail for Long Island business, sending them back to trucks clogging up the LIE?

Secondly, PATH and SIRTOA have fewer connections to the mainline rail tracks than the subway, but still have to follow some FRA rules (ie, they must have certified engineers, not motormen), because connection does not equal enforcement.

So if SIR and PATH have less connections to rail networks than the subway why are they under FRA rule?

Archived