Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Simcity 2013

Has anyone setup a region yet?  If not we should start one up.

I'd join, but I'm not buying until they improve stability for good. There will still be plenty of people buying for the next month who held off, so that's another infusion of users. I'd also like (as they suggested on Kotaku) an Undo button since there are no more "save games."

This game is a laughable , bugged disasters.....it was rushed and they took out things that made Sim City a fun playable game like Terraforming and large cities.    EA has been caught in Lie , after lie,,,,

• Upvote 2

I liked the part where two different people showed the game could work totally offline (all it needed to be 100% was ability to save game locally instead of on server) and then EA and Maxis changed their story. Scumbags ruined a franchise I loved since I was a kid.

EA and Maxis have a lot of explaining to do... 

They say they wanted to make the game a massively-multiplayer online game... But they failed hard

Of course they wanted to make an online multiplayer game. That's what's hip and in right now. Never mind that it makes no sense in terms of the game and/or the logistics of doing that with a *city creation game*.

I still have my Sim City 3000 and 4 discs around. I even have a download of 2000 if I'm feeling *really* nostalgic. SimCity was pretty much my entire childhood gaming experience outside of the N64. And ever since SimCity Societies I've lost hope that a new game can be made effectively without a visionary like Will Wright. 

Our SimCity Mayors are incredibly important to the team at Maxis. We know we messed up and want to sincerely thank you for staying with us. The good news is we have solved most of the major issues and players are really enjoying the game. We're getting great feedback from our fans and know that many of you are having fun and are exploring this whole new expression of SimCity. 

As a small token of our appreciation, we are offering you a free EA PC game download on Origin*. Mayors who have authenticated their copy of SimCity on Origin by March 25can select a free game through a redemption portal inside the Origin desktop client later this week. We'll be opening up the redemption portal country-by-country so some of you may see it a little sooner than others. The portal will be live worldwide for everyone to select their game by March 22

We don't want any of you to miss out your free game, so please note that you must register your copy of SimCity before March 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM PST and you must claim your free game by March 30, 2013 at 11:59PM PST. For more information, including instructions on how to get your free game and a list of eligible games, please read our FAQ. We've included some of the hottest games in the EA portfolio, so pick one and add it to your Origin library on us! spacer.gif Sincerely,

Maxis

Thank you, Maxis! They sent me this email.

Edited by Quill Depot

I've decided to skip this pile of shit. They're dead set on not removing the online-always thing and are slow to fix the glitches. Just not worth it to pay $60 for a game I don't even own. It isn't really ownership if I get to play on their terms and not whenever I want. The "online experience" excuse is still a crock of shit excuse for always-on DRM; the Sandbox mode shouldn't need always online.

I've decided to skip this pile of shit. They're dead set on not removing the online-always thing and are slow to fix the glitches. Just not worth it to pay $60 for a game I don't even own. It isn't really ownership if I get to play on their terms and not whenever I want. The "online experience" excuse is still a crock of shit excuse for always-on DRM; the Sandbox mode shouldn't need always online.

It's been revealed that by modifying two specific lines of text from the source code the game can actually be run offline, but you lose the ability to save your game unless you let the game run online again. Remember how they said the servers held most of the game data (thus forcing you to be online) and the CD/digital download only had the required source material to get you connected? Yeah, that was definitely a lie

It's been revealed that by modifying two specific lines of text from the source code the game can actually be run offline, but you lose the ability to save your game unless you let the game run online again. Remember how they said the servers held most of the game data (thus forcing you to be online) and the CD/digital download only had the required source material to get you connected? Yeah, that was definitely a lie

And that's why I'm not buying. Having to modify the code and then losing ability to save just to play the game I pay $60 for whenever I want. It's disgusting. Then they shut the servers down after two years and make you buy the next version.

Apparently the CEO of Electronic Arts has resigned. No direct indication that it's related to the SimCity debacle, but it's highly coincidental timing. 

Has anyone setup a region yet?  If not we should start one up.

I have. I have all private ones though. By the way, I am Quill_Depot on Origin, with the underscore.

Realistacally, how is sim City? I want to try it, but i'm not sure if i want to after the reviews its gotten.