MTH���™ - R42 New York City Subway - E Train

Welcome to another review on MTHs Lineup of a New York City Subway Set. Its been some time since I have completed a review of any equipment MTH has produced or that I have purchased recently. So, lets talk about today's Car Model; The R42 (E) Train.

Producer: MTH-Mikes Train House
Road Name: (MTA) Metropolitan Transportation Authority - New York City Transit
Scale: O Gauge-MTH Railking Line
Release Date: Late 1999
Route: (E)
Car Model / Set: R42
North Terminal: Jamaica Center/Parsons Archer, Queens
South Terminal: World Trade Center, Manhattan

Its Early 1999. You just came home from your Local Hobby Shop with MTHs new "Volume 2" 1999 Catalog. Skimming through the pages you come across this Silver with Blue Markings Rapid Transit Set that looks similar to the equipment you just exited off of at 71 St/New Utrecht Av. Only your train had an MTrainSmallcopy_zps4d8558b7.png at the front, while the Catalog model is displaying an (E). Quickly, you make it your business to call your dealer so you can Back-Order this set immediately.

Later that year, a Box arrives at your doorstep with your name on it; only to read the return address is your Local Hobby Shop. Carefully open that Box, and here it is, your very own (MTA) New York City Transit 4-Car R42 (E) Train Subway Set!

MTHs first New York City Subway Set was produced in 1998; The R42 (D) Train in the 1970s Silver/Blue Paint Scheme. This set immediately followed the (D) Train a year later, however, the paint scheme on this set is updated as to what the R42s look like post Overhaul in the Coney Island Shops.

Now, let's talk about the set. Most of the MTH Late 90s/Early 2000 Sets were produced 2 ways. Equipped with Loco-Sound or Proto-Sound. Loco-Sound was just a train with the horn and bell. Proto-Sound had actual sounds built into the Powered Unit of the set; For example, "Please Stand Clear of the Closing Doors". If you got yourself a Loco-Sound Set, it was at least $100.00 cheaper back then. While if you got your hands on a Proto-Sound set, it was obviously $100.00+ more because your getting the sound package with it.

While MTH was fresh into producing (MTA) equipment, MTH had the license to stamp their models with the (MTA) Logo, as seen on this set. Now, since this set seems to be from the mid 90s until now, we can see that the cars are completely silver with the updated (MTA) Logo. It is in fact, missing end of car pantograph gates and chains across the doors, to make this look like an actual R42. Basically, MTH took the look of the earlier R42 (D) Train Subway Set and just repainted it for a new line, and a more updated model.

Since this is a Proto-Sound set, the only way your going to hear the sounds and the announcements is to keep pushing down the buttons on the transformer. As you turn the train on, you might come a cross a "click, click, clang clang" sound from the powered-unit. As the train is running, you have to hold down the whistle button for about 2 seconds only to hear a station being called out from the powered unit, and then the train comes to a stop about 5 seconds later. Then to go through the station sequence, you have to push down the "Direction" button 1-2 times, until the "Please Stand Clear of the closing Doors" announcement is heard. Then the train takes off again. So you see, compared to today's MTH Proto 2.0 and Proto 3.0 powered units, the Proto-Sound is a little more hands on oriented.

The Stations announced:

- Continental Av / Forest Hills

- Roosevelt Avenue / Jackson Heights

- Queens Plaza

- 5 Av / Central Park

- 42 Street / Times Square

- 34 Street / Penn Station

- West 4 Street / Washington Square

- World Trade Center

Along the way, the announcement will state: "This is an (E) Train."

Pros:
You know, even though this was still a Pre-Mature set for MTH in the Subway Field, we have to give it some credit, that they put-together something that represents the Transit Authority. It's a Subway Set with (MTA) Logos, Number Boards, (E) Train Station Stops and the rollsign is correct. If you have it, and don't run it, at least its a collectible; World Trade Center, pre 9/11 Set. It has a "Ding-Dong" Chime..R44s and up had/have a door chime; never the R42s

Cons:
At least they came out with something and they tried ;)
-No End of door chains
-No End of Car Pantograph Gates
-Not to scale

3 Stars out of 5 on my end.

This set at one point was very expensive to get a hold of because it announces and has written on it, "World Trade Center".

If you have a passion for the New York City Subway, and you don't mind the inaccuracies of this set, then pick it up if you find one at a decent price. Run it or just display it on a shelf. Its (MTA), that's all that matters.

One can probably find a 4-Car (E) Train for about $350.00 today. The Add-ons came out a few months after, and those can be picked up for $100.00 to $170.00 today.

I hope you have enjoyed this review!

DSC_0004-4_zps1764ab21.jpg

DSC_0010_zps9121e5d8.jpg

DSC_0014-1_zps8a129973.jpg

DSC_0018-1_zps6a947647.jpg

DSC_0030-1_zps0b1cd90c.jpg

DSC_0059-1_zps663e45ff.jpg

DSC_0024_zps0c1d9832.jpg

Zach Summer

Yeah, not an R42 without the gates... but maybe they can recycle the ends for the R68s if they ever produce that one :)

We have to remember though, when the 42s were first delivered, until what, the mid to late 70s? The 42s did look like this ( Not the paint scheme ), but very plain looking. Im hoping for 68s! :rolleyes:

Excellent Zach!! (I was hoping you'd post this thread), We all miss you in this forum. Give a little wait for my broken window (F) set oh and it also needs lubrication and battery change. thx.   :)

We have to remember though, when the 42s were first delivered, until what, the mid to late 70s? The 42s did look like this ( Not the paint scheme ), but very plain looking. Im hoping for 68s

Excellent Zach!! (I was hoping you'd post this thread), We all miss you in this forum. Give a little wait for my broken window (F) set oh and it also needs lubrication and battery change. thx.   :)

Thanks Dude! yeah, Im back now and I will continue posting model reviews when I can. Yes, just let me know, when you want me to take a look at Your Slant (F)

Thanks Dude! yeah, Im back now and I will continue posting model reviews when I can. Yes, just let me know, when you want me to take a look at Your Slant (F)

thanks, i can't ship the (F) train set so it's gonna be a meet up. Yes more reviews! Oh and i now sell model buses, and i'm trying to create a bus museum!!!!

Archived