It's official: South Ferry Loop Platform reopening - No timeline yet, however.

itmaybeokay

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/releases/?en=130308-HQ1

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that 1 train service will return to one loop platform of the storm-ravaged South Ferry subway station in the first week of April, making commutes easier for more than 10,000 daily riders at the southern tip of Manhattan while a full rebuilding continues.

The press release goes on to state that they are building a new connection between the Loop platform and the R station at Whitehall. All of the work to return the loop to operational status is estimated to cost $2,000,000.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, I miss the days we were allowed to go thru the cab doors to get to the first 5 cars. Now everyone has to get off on Rector to get to the front.

Also $2 mil, I can imagine a mastercard commercial going like this:

Rebuilding the new station complex: $500 million

Restoring service to the old loop platform: $2 mil

Getting some sort of relief to daily commuters: priceless. 

I find it hilarious that Cuomo literally couldn't care less about public transit but puts his face on every MTA press release. What a clown.

Good news on the station though. Five cars is better than no service to South Ferry.

It'll be open April 1, hence my comment a couple weeks ago that if I told you the anticipated opening date, nobody would believe me.

You must teh psychic powers upon you to predict the future! I have a question -- what is the powerball numbers for the next jackpot for the estimated 15 million?  I'll split the money with you. I promise.  :D

HORRAY!!!!!! I can take Pics Of The Loop and save them for when the loop closes again , but one thing is missing! How are people Gonna get out of South Ferry If there are no more exists?

Just Use the Old exists again that were closed those are as well being reopened.

Haters gunna hate ^

HORRAY!!!!!! I can take Pics Of The Loop and save them for when the loop closes again , but one thing is missing! How are people Gonna get out of South Ferry If there are no more exists?

The passageway between the loop and the new station's mezzanine will be opened, thus keeping the ADA access and connection to the (R) train.

This should be fun... Wait for the (1) on a sardine can platform to get on a soon to be sardine can train...  <_<

I hear you.

But it's better then no South Ferry station at all. I know, it's not that far from Bowling Green or Whitehall Street, but still it's necessary to have something going until the appropriate South Ferry Station is finally rebuilt. After all isn't part of the cost to reactivate the old station paid for by the federal government in this case? Should be the case as with the new South Ferry Station to be rebuilt. Gonna research this later and find out ....

Haters gunna hate ^

The passageway between the loop and the new station's mezzanine will be opened, thus keeping the ADA access and connection to the (R) train.

Sorry, but I think for folks like myself who used to use that station on a regular basis, it's clear why it was closed in the first place and it should remain closed.  What's more disturbing to me is the amount of money spent for the new station and the delays and now folks are stuck using that eyesore of a station with half of a platform.  It shouldn't even be deemed safe as far as I'm concerned.

I hear you.

But it's better then no South Ferry station at all. I know, it's not that far from Bowling Green or Whitehall Street, but still it's necessary to have something going until the appropriate South Ferry Station is finally rebuilt. After all isn't part of the cost to reactivate the old station paid for by the federal government in this case? Should be the case as with the new South Ferry Station to be rebuilt. Gonna research this later and find out ....

I would disagree quite frankly.... As I've said in the past that station should only be opened if federal funds are used OR if the (MTA)'s insurance covers it, which I doubt.

Sorry, but I think for folks like myself who used to use that station on a regular basis, it's clear why it was closed in the first place and it should remain closed.  What's more disturbing to me is the amount of money spent for the new station and the delays and now folks are stuck using that eyesore of a station with half of a platform.  It shouldn't even be deemed safe as far as I'm concerned.

That's nice. You hate the old loop station, and you are entitled to that hate.

But would you prefer not to have any service to South Ferry at all? An old 5-car station is better than no station, and I'm sure anyone who used SF on a daily basis prior to Sandy would be quick to agree.

And how the hell is the station 'unsafe' in any way? I would love to hear the thought pattern behind that. Union Square and Times Square (S) both have gap fillers as well, are they unsafe too?

I would disagree quite frankly.... As I've said in the past that station should only be opened if federal funds are used OR if the (MTA)'s insurance covers it, which I doubt.

You are just repeating what I just said. In the prior thread before the news posted today, I said that as before that federal funds through FEMA and insurance coverage provided for by the contractor Schiavone Construction will cover the costs of the new South Ferry Station, remember? The MTA spokespersons stated that some of the money more or less will go into reactivation of the loop. I can clearly remember telling you that! With sources for confirmation!

Does anybody has a map of South Ferry station ?
As I understand, the old station is a loop with one small platform, am I right ?

From nycsubway.org :    http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/trackmap/detail-soferry.png

detail-soferry.png

That's nice. You hate the old loop station, and you are entitled to that hate.

But would you prefer not to have any service to South Ferry at all? An old 5-car station is better than no station, and I'm sure anyone who used SF on a daily basis prior to Sandy would be quick to agree.

And how the hell is the station 'unsafe' in any way? I would love to hear the thought pattern behind that. Union Square and Times Square (S) both have gap fillers as well, are they unsafe too?

The difference is the crowds in proportion to the amount of space or lack there of... Imagine trying to fit the crowds at Union Square onto a platform that's half the size of the regular platform...? I know the foamers such as yourself think it's great, but it's not practical or safe.  If something ever happened down there I could only imagine the injuries and carnage.  If they're going to re-open it they should try to squeeze in another exit somewhere...  The gap fillers are another issue in and of themselves, but yeah that's another reason too.  That place is a lawsuit waiting to happen IMO and I could see some idiot winning too.

You are just repeating what I just said. In the prior thread before the news posted today, I said that as before that federal funds through FEMA and insurance coverage provided for by the contractor Schiavone Construction will cover the costs of the new South Ferry Station, remember? The MTA spokespersons stated that some of the money more or less will go into reactivation of the loop. I can clearly remember telling you that! With sources for confirmation!

Yeah because I said what I said now previously.... 

The difference is the crowds in proportion to the amount of space or lack there of... Imagine trying to fit the crowds at Union Square onto a platform that's half the size of the regular platform...? I know the foamers such as yourself think it's great, but it's not practical or safe.  If something ever happened down there I could only imagine the injuries and carnage.  If they're going to re-open it they should make try to squeeze in another exit somewhere...  The gap fillers are another issue in and of themselves, but yeah that's another reason too.

First of all, don't get started with the foamer bullsh*t just because I disagree with you. I see an old station reopening and instead of griping about it, I look for positives.

South Ferry station doesn't have as high ridership as Union Square. Also, the bloody station worked just fine for 104 years before the new one reopened, surely it will still work for the next 3 years. The MTA didn't have to construct the new station - were it not for the funds allocated after 9/11 there wouldn't be a new station in the first place. If we were able to go for 104 years without this tragedy that you describe, the next 3 years will be just fine.

First of all, don't get started with the foamer bullsh*t just because I disagree with you. I see an old station reopening and instead of griping about it, I look for positives.

South Ferry station doesn't have as high ridership as Union Square. Also, the bloody station worked just fine for 104 years before the new one reopened, surely it will still work for the next 3 years. The MTA didn't have to construct the new station - were it not for the funds allocated after 9/11 there wouldn't be a new station in the first place. If we were able to go for 104 years without this tragedy that you describe, the next 3 years will be just fine.

Actually, as someone who used the station daily, the station did not work just fine for 104 years and that's why politicians like Vito Fossella fought to have funds allocated for a new South Ferry station, because the old one was overcrowded cramped and unsafe.  You don't live here.  You live in Toronto so what do you care anyway?  All you're going to do is take a stroll down here and take some pictures and say how great it is to have this old station back.  Meanwhile the people that need service every day will be stuck using this crap for the next 3 years, and seeing that this station has been closed now for a few years and ridership has continued to grow, I can imagine this station will be even worse.  It doesn't need to have the ridership of the Union Square station to be a problem.

You're looking at it from a fan's point of view and I'm looking at it from the commuter's perspective.

lol... I didn't know I was...  :huh:

Shhhh! I'm busy right now on Win 7 virtual remote desktop on my computer in the IT department trying to perform a rollback on drivers for a client in the administration department on his workstation. I'll argue with you later.

Get back to work you! Time is money.  ;)

Actually, as someone who used the station daily, the station did not work just fine for 104 years and that's why politicians like Vito Fossella fought to have funds allocated for a new South Ferry station, because the old one was overcrowded cramped and unsafe

And they complained because their people complained. I would love to see some of these complaints - post a link or something, because from this quote I can only guess that they were throwing things out of proportion like you are now. Such is typical of many transit riders, and has varying extents of validity.

I visited the new SF during rush hour back in August and it didn't look at all crowded like you claim it is. In fact, it was quite empty.

You don't live here.  You live in Toronto so what do you care anyway?

Oh, right! How foolish and foamy of me to take an interest in other cities besides my own!!! How COULD I have been so blind??? :o:o:o

:rolleyes:

Meanwhile the people that need service every day will be stuck using this crap for the next 3 years,

The alternative being usage of Bowling Green or Whitehall and the possibility that they might miss their ferry. I'm sure they won't give a crap.

Archived