It's official: South Ferry Loop Platform reopening - No timeline yet, however.

itmaybeokay

@ R62Ar33 on the +1 - Yeah I know I can be cranky when I am at work mode fixing these stupid operating system and VLAN glitches, esp when VG8 here wants to debate me until I'm floored and desperately  running for cover lol. Guy can be a passionate debater on his beliefs and political stance which I sincerely respect him highly for. Except when he posts like he is writing for the Wall Street Journal. 

Dang I got to cut down on this coffee.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ R62Ar33 on the +1 - Yeah I know I can be cranky when I am at work mode fixing these stupid operating system and VLAN glitches, esp when VG8 here wants to debate me until I'm floored and desperately  running for cover lol. Guy can be a passionate debater on his beliefs and political stance which I sincerely respect him highly for. Except when he posts like he is writing for the Wall Street Journal. 

Dang I got to cut down on this coffee.

What? I don not understand anything you just said.

You live in Toronto so what do you care anyway?  

Sorry ttcsubwayfan but what VG8 said on that part of the post was seriously too funny. Otherwise, ttcsubwayfan, very good points on your perspective on this milestone on this history making event, good points indeed. 

The alternative being usage of Bowling Green or Whitehall and the possibility that they might miss their ferry. I'm sure they won't give a crap.

..... Which is exactly what I'm saying. Exactly so.

What? I don not understand anything you just said.

Wow.

The +1 to VG8 on the first post. Sometimes when you give rep points it's helpful to explain why. Thanks for the downvote BTW -1 to your response. Especially when you don't understand the kind of history many posters have here when we discuss things on this forum. Myself included.

Think before you speak. Have a nice day.

Thank you, realizm. 

The loop has two platforms but I think that only the outer platform will be used by the line 1 ?

What is the tph of line 1 during peak ?

The inner platform was used by the old Bowling Green-South Ferry shuttle. Let's not expand more on this topic, as certain members seem persistent on reviving it.

The (1) is about 24 TPH, the loop has handled it before, so it won't be an issue.

Actually, as someone who used the station daily, the station did not work just fine for 104 years and that's why politicians like Vito Fossella fought to have funds allocated for a new South Ferry station, because the old one was overcrowded cramped and unsafe.  You don't live here.  You live in Toronto so what do you care anyway?  All you're going to do is take a stroll down here and take some pictures and say how great it is to have this old station back.  Meanwhile the people that need service every day will be stuck using this crap for the next 3 years, and seeing that this station has been closed now for a few years and ridership has continued to grow, I can imagine this station will be even worse.  It doesn't need to have the ridership of the Union Square station to be a problem.

You're looking at it from a fan's point of view and I'm looking at it from the commuter's perspective.

Which would you rather have? The old station, or no station at all. I understand that you are annoyed at the fact that it isn't perfect, but that's reality.

Thank you, realizm. 

The loop has two platforms but I think that only the outer platform will be used by the line 1 ?

What is the tph of line 1 during peak ?

You're welcome. And Threxx, He's right on the money in answering your next two questions. Nail on head. Let me add the inner loop is usually for (5) turnarounds from Bowling Green on the Lex as the map shows.

Yes, only the outer platform. I can't believe this! :drool::drool::drool: !

Lol. Yes the technology incorporated into this loop station was very innovative for its time when the station was opened in 1918. Gap fillers was for one, the IRT architects also called for installation of spray nozzles on the roadbeds which lubricated the steeply curved track to reduce the friction on the wheels and the rails itself caused by the tight curve. Anchient technology in the year 2013 but very interesting nevertheless.

You know this of course. Just saying this for the record for others unfamiliar with the history of the South Ferry IRT loop.

You're welcome. And Threxx, He's right on the money in answering your next two questions. Nail on head. Let me add the inner loop is usually for (5) turnarounds from Bowling Green on the Lex as the map shows.

This is what I figured.

Thank you.

I know that a terminal loop can handle a high tph. We have similar situations in Paris.

This is interesting. Which stations are you referring to? Please share this with us. If you can provide pics from whatever internet sources that would be great too. I would like to see what these stations actually look like as I am unfamiliar with the Paris metro.

Lol. Yes the technology incorporated into this loop station was very innovative for its time when the station was opened in 1918. Gap fillers was for one, the IRT architects also called for installation of spray nozzles on the roadbeds which lubricated the steeply curved track to reduce the friction on the wheels and the rails itself caused by the tight curve. Anchient technology in the year 2013 but very interesting nevertheless.

You know this of course. Just saying this for the record for others unfamiliar with the history of the South Ferry IRT loop.

Sure it's ancient technology, but it's still very much used. A recent installation of track lubrication equipment can be seen on the rehabbed tracks of the Culver Viaduct. Look for the Orange Hoses and Grey boxes between the tracks.

I did not know that tech dated from the early days of the subway. Very cool.

Charles de Gaulle Etoile in line 6.

Station map

Like South Ferry the station is in a loop with one track but unlike South Ferry, it has two platforms (boarding/unloading) on each side of the track. 

DSC45035a.jpg

Wow. Look at that! That is a very beautifully built station. The tilework is great. With the colors very well coordinated. I call this unique because aside from the loop, there are no stations in NYC that is set up with this sort of configuration. Single track and two side platforms. 

Fascinating.

Sure it's ancient technology, but it's still very much used. A recent installation of track lubrication equipment can be seen on the rehabbed tracks of the Culver Viaduct. Look for the Orange Hoses and Grey boxes between the tracks.

I did not know that tech dated from the early days of the subway. Very cool.

Gotcha. Next time I end up on the Culver Viaduct I'll be on the lookout for the track lubrication equipment. I've seen such equipment already on the BMT West End Line and the BMT Jamaica El.

It's interesting how even ancient technology can make it this far to this day and time, isn't it?  But man, we really need our CBTC, countime clocks, real time tracking, Wi-Fi, and our rubber-reinforced concrete ties and roadbeds! (Again such as installed on the Culver Viaduct and the IND 53rd Street tubes, etc)

Which would you rather have? The old station, or no station at all. I understand that you are annoyed at the fact that it isn't perfect, but that's reality.

As a daily commuter, I and thousands of others, can deal with no station at all.

Not technically true. WTC  (E) has such a configuration, although only one side of the platform is used.

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?136625

Ok I see what you are saying concerning the platform layout on the southbound platform at WTC/Chambers Street at the terminal end of the station. But it is still technically a two track (well really a four track station if you think about it) according to IND design, albeit unusual for an IND station. On that note that entire station side by side with the other island platform leading to the Cranberry St tubes on the (A) and (C)  is an unique layout in itself.

detail-cityhall.png

And they complained because their people complained. I would love to see some of these complaints - post a link or something, because from this quote I can only guess that they were throwing things out of proportion like you are now. Such is typical of many transit riders, and has varying extents of validity.

I visited the new SF during rush hour back in August and it didn't look at all crowded like you claim it is. In fact, it was quite empty.

LOL... You came in August during the middle of the summer when most people are off for vacation... Of course it didn't look crowded then...  Furthermore, the new station has a much bigger platform than the old one.  <_<

Oh, right! How foolish and foamy of me to take an interest in other cities besides my own!!! How COULD I have been so blind??? :o :o :o

:rolleyes:

The alternative being usage of Bowling Green or Whitehall and the possibility that they might miss their ferry. I'm sure they won't give a crap.

Very cute... Well here's news for you... I lived on Staten Island for years and took the ferry for years and the "alternative" was much better in terms of me making the ferry than South Ferry?  Why? Because we had to be held at Chambers so that everyone in the last 5 cars could move to the front and also because that was the so called waiting spot for the (1) train since it can't wait there at South Ferry, so that in addition to waiting again for everyone to move to the first 5 cars at Rector St. usually meant that we would arrive at South Ferry just in time to miss the boat by the time the gap fillers pulled out and the door would open.  Can't count how many times that happened... They're much better just walking from Bowling Green as I've said before when this topic came up.

This is called the "Spanish solution", two platforms for one track. 

From link:

The principle was used for the first time in 1895 at the (now closed) King William Street tube station in London, but came in to wide use on (and takes its name from) the Barcelona Metro in the 1930s.

The solution was then used in the United States in 1912 at Park Street Under on the MBTA's Red Line in Boston (now Park Street), and at Chambers Street on the New York City Subway in 1913, where the center platform is now closed.

The moar you know. I never knew this setup even existed in the United States on the MBTA in Boston. First used in 1895 in Barcelona Metro. These are good things to know on transit history as far as architectural design of stations are concerned.

LOL... You came in August during the middle of the summer
when most people are off for vacation... Of course it didn't look
crowded then...  Furthermore, the new station has a much bigger platform
than the old one.  <_<

Just because it's the "middle of the summer", doesn't mean that trains aren't busy. Only difference is that it will be tourists instead of business men and women. Battery Park is a popular tourist attraction, so the traffic is still there.

The (1) I was on was busy until Chambers. So if the trains aren't crowded, common sense dictates the platform won't be crowded either, no?

Very cute... Well here's news for you... I lived on Staten Island for years and
took the ferry for years and the "alternative" was much better in terms
of me making the ferry than South Ferry?  Why? Because we had to be
held at Chambers so that everyone in the last 5 cars could move to the
front and also because that was the so called waiting spot for the (1)
train since it can't wait there at South Ferry, so that in addition to
waiting again for everyone to move to the first 5 cars at Rector St.
usually meant that we would arrive at South Ferry just in time to miss
the boat by the time the gap fillers pulled out and the door wore open.
 Can't count how many times that happened... They're much better just
walking from Bowling Green.

Ok, then don't use the f**king station. Why the hell are you ranting about it here in the first place?! Let the people who want to use the station use it.

LOL... You came in August during the middle of the summer when most people are off for vacation... Of course it didn't look crowded then...  Furthermore, the new station has a much bigger platform than the old one.  <_<

Very cute... Well here's news for you... I lived on Staten Island for years and took the ferry for years and the "alternative" was much better in terms of me making the ferry than South Ferry?  Why? Because we had to be held at Chambers so that everyone in the last 5 cars could move to the front and also because that was the so called waiting spot for the (1) train since it can't wait there at South Ferry, so that in addition to waiting again for everyone to move to the first 5 cars at Rector St. usually meant that we would arrive at South Ferry just in time to miss the boat by the time the gap fillers pulled out and the door wore open.  Can't count how many times that happened... They're much better just walking from Bowling Green.

Not speaking for ttcsubwayfan, but now that I remember that you did live on Staten Island (I remember now you discussing that before) I would say you are definitely in authority to say that, won't argue with that. But again, to be fair, not every Staten Islander will feel the same way. As another poster mentioned there is the issue of precious time during the commute that could technically be saved with an IRT Station within not even a block's distance from the ferry terminal. But hey to each straphanger his/her own.

Personally, if say during rush hour, I was on the (5) coming downtown obviously I would get off at Bowling Green and walk. (Good exercise lol)  If there was good service on the (1) and I'm coming off the ferry and in a rush then I would get to the loop, or the new SF Station whatever. If there's delays on the (1) then obviously I would be running to Bowling Green fuming but hauling ass regardless to clock in on time.

Archived