It's official: South Ferry Loop Platform reopening - No timeline yet, however.

itmaybeokay

Just because it's the "middle of the summer", doesn't mean that trains aren't busy. Only difference is that it will be tourists instead of business men and women. Battery Park is a popular tourist attraction, so the traffic is still there.

The (1) I was on was busy until Chambers. So if the trains aren't crowded, common sense dictates the platform won't be crowded either, no?

Ok, then don't use the f**king station. Why the hell are you ranting about it here in the first place?! Let the people who want to use the station use it.

Of course they are, but that station won't be as busy as it normally would when school kids are out and people are on vacation.  That's just a no brainer.

With regards to your other point, because you claim there's nothing wrong with the station, as if they built the new one just because.... The new one was built because the old one is antiquated, cramped and quite frankly hazardous.  I'm ranting about it because that $2 million dollars could be better used.  They should use it to improve service which would benefit passengers more than re-opening that station.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm ranting about it because that $2 million dollars could be better used.  They should use it to improve service which would benefit passengers more than re-opening that station.

I see what you are saying. OK cool that is a valid point. Cite some examples of where that 2 million dollars should go so I can see what you are saying more clearly.

I see what you are saying. OK cool that is a valid point. Cite some examples of where that 2 million dollars should go so I can see what you are saying more clearly.

Simple... Use it to run more friggin (1) service... I think people could live with walking a few blocks if that meant that they didn't have to be passed up because the train was too crowded.

Simple... Use it to run more friggin  (1) service... I think people could live with walking a few blocks if that meant that they didn't have to be passed up because the train was too crowded.

Well even as Threxx stated you can only run 24 TPH as it is. And that is already financed for to begin with, as it is even before we got rocked with the hurricane nearly destroying the new station. Personally I ride the (1) at times, it always on time right on the money (no pun intended)

Edit: Not arguing with you. Just sitting back here at my desk at the office chillin', and bringing up a point for discussion...... 

Just because you don't want the loop station, doesn't mean that everyone doesn't. Most people will welcome the reopening, especially in crappy weather.

If you don't wish to use it, the (R)(4)(5) continue to be available.

Simple... Use it to run more friggin (1) service... I think people could live with walking a few blocks if that meant that they didn't have to be passed up because the train was too crowded.

Where will the trains for that come from?

http://thejoekorner.com/carassignments/index.html indicates that during the AM rush, 340 cars are being used. http://www.ttmg.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=MTA_Subway_Yard_Roster indicates 380 cars in total for the (1) fleet. That's a spare rate of 40 cars, or 4 trains, not exactly a high number.

I have no idea why the PM Rush uses less trains, so I will give you that, but the AM Rush seems to be at max capacity.

What I want to know is how the hell the (1) can run 34 trains in the AM rush when it has been said that 24 is the top TPH.

No cars. Most of the yards are empty at rush hour, and they've already increased weekend service. 24 TPH is more than enough.

People want the loop station back. If you don't like the loop station, don't use it.

Just because you don't want the loop station, doesn't mean that everyone doesn't. Most people will welcome the reopening, especially in crappy weather.

If you don't wish to use it, the (R)(4)(5) continue to be available.

Where will the trains for that come from?

http://thejoekorner.com/carassignments/index.html indicates that during the AM rush, 340 cars are being used. http://www.ttmg.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=MTA_Subway_Yard_Roster indicates 380 cars in total for the (1) fleet. That's a spare rate of 40 cars, or 4 trains, not exactly a high number.

I have no idea why the PM Rush uses less trains, so I will give you that, but the AM Rush seems to be at max capacity.

What I want to know is how the hell the (1) can run 34 trains in the AM rush when it has been said that 24 is the top TPH.

It's not a question of me, it's a question of getting the maximum use out of that money... What good is having a station open if people can't get a train.... 

No cars. Most of the yards are empty at rush hour, and they've already increased weekend service. 24 TPH is more than enough.

People want the loop station back. If you don't like the loop station, don't use it.

Not it isn't... People are still getting flagged because trains are too crowded.

It's not a question of me, it's a question of getting the maximum use out of that money... What good is having a station open if people can't get a train....

Alright then. Propose a solution, which costs under $2 million, which alleviates the crowding problems. There are very few spares as is, so extra cars isn't an option.

Alright then. Propose a solution, which costs under $2 million, which alleviates the crowding problems. There are very few spares as is, so extra cars isn't an option.

Actually that's what the (MTA) should be doing... Overcrowding on the (1) will still exist well after the new South Ferry is completed... I would increase service where possible and then be begging Cuomo to provide more funding so that signals can be updated to allow for more trains to run on that line.

The debate continues. Let me clock out and go home, lady got hong kong noodles and steak on the menu tonight with some beers. Man working two tech jobs is a killer. But let me highlight this: 

You know, He's right! 

The debate continues. Let me clock out and go home, lady got hong kong noodles and steak on the menu tonight with some beers. Man working two tech jobs is a killer. But let me highlight this: 

You know, He's right! 

And the funny thing is even with the so called increased weekend service, the trains are like rush hour trains...

Let me be honest. The old South Ferry Loop is needed for service with all of those (1) Train crowds. I have to say its better for the (1) To run service then no service @ All. There's nothing wrong with the station. Don't like it? Take another way or some crap. Why can't we all just accept this and move on with this? Just be grateful that we have a subway running period. 

And the funny thing is even with the so called increased weekend service, the trains are like rush hour trains...

Yeah that's very true. Crushloaded (1) trains even on weekends from 96th Street all the way southbound to at least Chambers. Admittedly though the (2) is even worse but that is a different story.

Let me be honest. The old South Ferry Loop is needed for service with all of those (1) Train crowds. I have to say its better for the (1) To run service then no service @ All. There's nothing wrong with the station. 

In agreement.

Yeah that's very true. Crushloaded (1) trains even on weekends from 96th Street all the way southbound to at least Chambers. Admittedly though the (2) is even worse but that is a different story.

I think I'm going to write to Cuomo and tell him this is a terrible mistake and that $2 million would be better used for service improvements on the (1).  Even if they proceed with the re-opening of the station, maybe he'll take the situation into consideration and pony up more money.  Who knows, but I see no benefit of having this station re-opened when people are being flagged and can't even get a train.

The main thing I have to say about this is it won't be fun having to cram into the first five cars of the train to get off. That is indeed a step backward but you have to take something into consideration: all of this could have very well been avoided in the first place! If the station was waterproofed then chances are South Ferry could have reopened around this time or maybe even earlier. This is another example of poor choices made by the MTA. A station like the new South Ferry, which is already so close to the water to boot, should not be looking like shit within months that it opened, with water damage all over the tiles and platforms.

Case in point, yes reopening the old South Ferry is not the best solution but it's a temporary solution to provide some sort of relief to the (4)(5) and (R). People who don't want to deal with the South Ferry loop are always more than welcome to take the other nearby lines and transfer.

I think I'm going to write to Cuomo and tell him this is a terrible mistake and that $2 million would be better used for service improvements on the (1).  Even if they proceed with the re-opening of the station, maybe he'll take the situation into consideration and pony up more money.  Who knows, but I see no benefit of having this station re-opened when people are being flagged and can't even get a train.

Doesn't matter station is almost complete and is set to reopen next month.

@Min

No South Ferry Only Has 1 platform. The other platform as you can see is served by (5) trains rerouting back to the Bronx. ( (5) trains do not stop at south ferry) It was recently or was used by the BG/SF Shuttle. If you go to bowling green you will see an un used platform. This Shuttle does Not exist any more. The Platform You See On The Bottom is where the (1) Train Will Stop. (4)(5) Also if counting Service Changes. This station can only fit 5 Cars Of an R62 (Again R142). This is why City Hall on the (6) was closed. To restore South Ferry It will cost at least 2M$ to restore it.

I just repeated what this whole thread is about didn't I?

What is wrong with my phone!!????? Min Sorry but if you want to read this you can. Next time I gotta check for updated posts.....

Actually that's what the (MTA) should be doing... Overcrowding on the (1) will still exist well after the new South Ferry is completed... I would increase service where possible and then be begging Cuomo to provide more funding so that signals can be updated to allow for more trains to run on that line.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry, but that's hilarious. If he could care any less about transit he wouldn't qualify as a functioning organism.

He is always there to put his name on every positive press release despite robbing the MTA at every chance, though, so there's that.

See my reply above.

@VG8

You can't use the money on anything else because it's coming from FEMA and insurance on South Ferry.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry, but that's hilarious. If he could care any less about transit he wouldn't qualify as a functioning organism.

He is always there to put his name on every positive press release despite robbing the MTA at every chance, though, so there's that.

See my reply above.

Well I wrote to him anyway and made the suggestion that he find funding to give to the (MTA) for increased (1) train service because it is sorely needed.

@Min

No South Ferry Only Has 1 platform. The other platform as you can see is served by (5) trains rerouting back to the Bronx. ( (5) trains do not stop at south ferry) It was recently or was used by the BG/SF Shuttle. If you go to bowling green you will see an un used platform

Right. That's correct.

It has two platforms. One formally in revenue service before the closure as kendell stated. The other platform is not in service. (The inner loop.) There's pics of the inner loop on nycsubway.org:

http://nycsubway.org/wiki/Station:_South_Ferry_(IRT_West_Side_Line)

img_250.jpg

img_249.jpg

img_80820.jpg

The main thing I have to say about this is it won't be fun having to cram into the first five cars of the train to get off. That is indeed a step backward but you have to take something into consideration: all of this could have very well been avoided in the first place! If the station was waterproofed then chances are South Ferry could have reopened around this time or maybe even earlier. This is another example of poor choices made by the MTA. A station like the new South Ferry, which is already so close to the water to boot, should not be looking like shit within months that it opened, with water damage all over the tiles and platforms.

Case in point, yes reopening the old South Ferry is not the best solution but it's a temporary solution to provide some sort of relief to the (4)(5) and (R). People who don't want to deal with the South Ferry loop are always more than welcome to take the other nearby lines and transfer.

This is false. As SF is the deepest hole in the ground in the immediate area, the water would naturally rush down there. Even if the MTA had decided to lock up the new South Ferry platforms and the Whitehall platforms with giant, hermetically sealed steel gates (which would only cause the water to go into the (4)(5) and further back on the (1) and (R), destroying the signals and tracks there), SF would STILL have been flooded, if only because that station was shoddily built and was leaking due to the high water table.

Also I'm not sure if this has been cleared up, but the thing about the Spanish Solution is that it's two platforms facing one track, whereas the South Ferry loop actually has two platforms for two tracks.

People want the loop station back. If you don't like the loop station, don't use it.

it just one of those thing some here just can't let go... It's not like the new station is going to be ready in 2 months. Plus if people are so content with walking from rector, then why bother fixing up the new platform? People can just walk.

$2mil is a drop in the bucket compared to $500 million being spent (granted this is for the complex), but this is on top of an already $400 mil new platform that was leaking badly before sandy even hit. So you new SF platform supporters, I hope for your sakes the next sandy that hits doesn't cost this friggin much to repair, because $900 mil for this one area is just ridiculous.

Archived