It's official: South Ferry Loop Platform reopening - No timeline yet, however.

itmaybeokay

Right. That's correct.

It has two platforms. One formally in revenue service before the closure as kendell stated. The other platform is not in service. (The inner loop.) There's pics of the inner loop on nycsubway.org:

http://nycsubway.org/wiki/Station:_South_Ferry_(IRT_West_Side_Line)

I see.

The inner platform is useless because it is walled (not only because of its small size).

So, we can say that the South Ferry loop has only one platform.

Thank you for the informations.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning, everyone. With all this back and forth, I have a question: is it possible that the $2 million the MTA is spending on the old loop is less than the prospective losses of having no direct service to SF on the (1) for the next 3 years? I'm pretty sure that after the engineers finished their assessment, the finance guys did some number crunching, and the big wigs came to a desperate solution. Kind of like the R16s coming back for the R46 fiasco, or the R32s staying on for the R44 issue. The option may not be pretty, but the outcome most likely is better.

Let me be honest. The old South Ferry Loop is needed for service with all of those (1) Train crowds. I have to say its better for the (1) To run service then no service @ All. There's nothing wrong with the station. Don't like it? Take another way or some crap. Why can't we all just accept this and move on with this? Just be grateful that we have a subway running period. 

T*R*U*T*H

Quickly hopping in the first 5 cars and getting off at the South Ferry Loop is faster than the 4-6 minute walk from Rector Street.

Actually it isn't, not when the train is held twice.... Once at Chambers for several minutes, then again at Rector. If you're going to argue that the stop helps people get to the ferry quicker, well that simply is not true.  Most could walk there faster from Rector.  They're re-opening this for convenience and maybe to take the load off of the (R), (4) and (5) but the old loop is not any faster than walking unless you walk extremely slow.

This is false. As SF is the deepest hole in the ground in the immediate area, the water would naturally rush down there. Even if the MTA had decided to lock up the new South Ferry platforms and the Whitehall platforms with giant, hermetically sealed steel gates (which would only cause the water to go into the (4)(5) and further back on the (1) and (R), destroying the signals and tracks there), SF would STILL have been flooded, if only because that station was shoddily built and was leaking due to the high water table.

Also I'm not sure if this has been cleared up, but the thing about the Spanish Solution is that it's two platforms facing one track, whereas the South Ferry loop actually has two platforms for two tracks.

The Spanish Solution applies to stations like 59th Street - Columbus Circle on the IND, Chambers Street on the (J)/(Z), Broadway Junction on the (L) (Canarsie-bound service only) and the last stops in the Bronx on the (2), (4) and (6) in  which one track has platforms on either side, one platform for boarding the train, and the other for alighting the train. South Ferry is NOT set up in the Spanish Solution configuration, but rather a balloon loop.

In regards to the destruction to the new South Ferry, if that's the case then how come the loop station is being reactivated, not to mention that it's an OLDER station albeit built correctly, compared to the new South Ferry that has to suffer from a two-three year closure? And LESS money is being used to reactivate the station compared to the half-billion dollar price tag to rehab the station? It is costing a little bit more to rehab the station compared to how much it cost to build the station! ($530 million to build the new station, $600 million to renovate the station.)

I think I'm going to write to Cuomo and tell him this is a terrible mistake and that $2 million would be better used for service improvements on the (1).  Even if they proceed with the re-opening of the station, maybe he'll take the situation into consideration and pony up more money.  Who knows, but I see no benefit of having this station re-opened when people are being flagged and can't even get a train.

You may be better off starting an actual all out online petition to Gov. Cuomo rather than a simple letter. With all the persons supporting the petition you can tentatively set up will carry more weight then one letter.

Myself however as you already know, I'm in support for the reopening of the loop. But if you feel this is what you must do to exercise your right to free speech as an American then by all means go for it.  

The Spanish Solution applies to stations like 59th Street - Columbus Circle on the IND, Chambers Street on the (J)/(Z), Broadway Junction on the (L) (Canarsie-bound service only) and the last stops in the Bronx on the (2), (4) and (6) in  which one track has platforms on either side, one platform for boarding the train, and the other for alighting the train. South Ferry is NOT set up in the Spanish Solution configuration, but rather a balloon loop.

In regards to the destruction to the new South Ferry, if that's the case then how come the loop station is being reactivated, not to mention that it's an OLDER station albeit built correctly, compared to the new South Ferry that has to suffer from a two-three year closure? And LESS money is being used to reactivate the station compared to the half-billion dollar price tag to rehab the station? It is costing a little bit more to rehab the station compared to how much it cost to build the station! ($530 million to build the new station, $600 million to renovate the station.)

I believe the (1) station at South Ferry was a "key" station on the ADA list - it's a pretty important transfer. Sure, Whitehall is accessible, but old SF may not be due to the gap fillers (the wheels might get caught in them). Also, it speeds up dwell times - all the doors on every car has access, so there's no need to hold the train at Rector. The downside of the new station is that it has no tail tracks - because of this, trains cannot enter the station at full speed, lest they crash into the wall on the other end. This effectively limits the new platform to 24 TPH. (MTA needs to outfit more of the terminals with tail tracks to boost capacity, like Jamaica Center (E)(J)(Z) and 8th Av (L), but that's another story for another time.)

This is probably a dead horse, but IMO the new SF should've been the loop platform extended back into the straight portion of tracks before the loop, the curved portion walled off, and moving sidewalks installed.

You may be better off starting an actual all out online petition to Gov. Cuomo rather than a simple letter. With all the persons supporting the petition you can tentatively set up will carry more weight then one letter.

Myself however as you already know, I'm in support for the reopening of the loop. But if you feel this is what you must do to exercise your right to free speech as an American then by all means go for it.  

There have already been petitions to Prince Cuomo about the transit lockbox bill and other (MTA) concerns. Guess what they accomplished?

Answer: Precisely nothing. He still vetoed the lockbox bill so he could keep raiding the (MTA) budget at will and has continued to do so.

I don't understand the insistence by some on the idea that he gives two shits about transit. He is a suburbanite. He thinks transit is irrelevant and not really needed. His only concern is making sure his name and face are on any positive press releases concerning the (MTA). It's been nearly three months and he hasn't even appointed a new head for the (MTA).

My true feelings are that if he was truly concerned about South Ferry riders he would pony up monies to provide more service on the line, which is what would really help out much more than this station.  Re-open the loop if it is that important, but provide more service for the overcrowding too... In fact I don't know why the (MTA) can't argue that because the new South Ferry station was severely damaged that it has impacted service on the (1) line and fight to get some sort of monies from the contractor and then have that monies be used for service improvements on the line.  That's what they should do.

My true feelings are that if he was truly concerned about South Ferry riders he would pony up monies to provide more service on the line, which is what would really help out much more than this station.  Re-open the loop if it is that important, but provide more service for the overcrowding too... In fact I don't know why the (MTA) can't argue that because the new South Ferry station was severely damaged that it has impacted service on the (1) line and fight to get some sort of monies from the contractor and then have that monies be used for service improvements on the line.  That's what they should do.

Understood, but again the capacity issue on the line in this case. The line is already as it is as we were discussing already, as Threxx said, @ 24 TPH max. And countdown clocks to boot. Only thing else they can do is install CBTC and 2 million dollars can't possible cover the costs of that. 

The only other feasible way I can see good use of that additional money floating around is to pay for routine GOs and that's about it. That could be a point you can highlight in your letter. But still I think that $2 M dollars towards the reactivation of the loop may be the best bet. 

Nevertheless, good points.

There have already been petitions to Prince Cuomo about the transit lockbox bill and other (MTA) concerns. Guess what they accomplished?

Answer: Precisely nothing. He still vetoed the lockbox bill so he could keep raiding the (MTA) budget at will and has continued to do so.

I don't understand the insistence by some on the idea that he gives two shits about transit. He is a suburbanite. He thinks transit is irrelevant and not really needed. His only concern is making sure his name and face are on any positive press releases concerning the (MTA). It's been nearly three months and he hasn't even appointed a new head for the (MTA).

Yes! And that's exactly why we ended up with this fare hike to begin with among other things.

Understood, but again the capacity issue on the line in this case. The line is already as it is as we were discussing already, as Threxx said, @ 24 TPH max. And countdown clocks to boot. Only thing else they can do is install CBTC and 2 million dollars can't possible cover the costs of that. 

The only other feasible way I can see good use of that additional money floating around is to pay for routine GOs and that's about it. That could be a point you can highlight in your letter. But still I think that $2 M dollars towards the reactivation of the loop may be the best bet. 

Nevertheless, good points.

I'm aware of the capacity issue at times but capacity is not completely maxed out... They could still add more trains during certain parts of the day, esp. on weekends...

I'm aware of the capacity issue at times but capacity is not completely maxed out... They could still add more trains during certain parts of the day, esp. on weekends...

True. I'm thinking strictly rush hour conditions.

Well even as Threxx stated you can only run 24 TPH as it is. And that is already financed for to begin with, as it is even before we got rocked with the hurricane nearly destroying the new station. Personally I ride the (1) at times, it always on time right on the money (no pun intended)

Edit: Not arguing with you. Just sitting back here at my desk at the office chillin', and bringing up a point for discussion...... 

Well the (1) is #1 for a reason LOL :lol:  :D  :lol:  :rolleyes: .

It's not a question of me, it's a question of getting the maximum use out of that money... What good is having a station open if people can't get a train.... 

Not it isn't... People are still getting flagged because trains are too crowded.

You do realize the old station was closer to the SI ferry than the new one that was destroyed right? Plus you have to walk outside through those smokers to get to the ferry. With the loop station back you get to stay indoors and not have to step outside to reach the ferry and inhale smoke.

Dude your getting roasted I think you should stop.

I believe the (1) station at South Ferry was a "key" station on the ADA list - it's a pretty important transfer. Sure, Whitehall is accessible, but old SF may not be due to the gap fillers (the wheels might get caught in them). Also, it speeds up dwell times - all the doors on every car has access, so there's no need to hold the train at Rector. The downside of the new station is that it has no tail tracks - because of this, trains cannot enter the station at full speed, lest they crash into the wall on the other end. This effectively limits the new platform to 24 TPH. (MTA needs to outfit more of the terminals with tail tracks to boost capacity, like Jamaica Center (E)(J)(Z) and 8th Av (L), but that's another story for another time.)

This is probably a dead horse, but IMO the new SF should've been the loop platform extended back into the straight portion of tracks before the loop, the curved portion walled off, and moving sidewalks installed.

I believe that was looked into, but it was shot down for whatever reason.

Weather some of you like it or not the loop is returning ok there is nothing you can do. Its better to bring the loop back because you cannot have the people who live by south ferry suffering without the (1) train for the next 2-3yrs so this is better than nothing. As a railfanners perspective its great the loop is returning so just deal with it cause at the end of the day your all gonna have to go to south ferry at least once in the next 3yrs so you have to go through the loop,So till the new South Ferry opens in the next 2-3yrs enjoy and make the best out of the loops return.

On THIS forum, people are actually against the old South Ferry's reopening???? DAMN!

I would give you more likes on that post , but I cant!

Seriously what is the matter of re-opening South Ferry? I feel its like 2010 when the (W) And (V) Were Discontinued and Everyone got into a fuss and started a riot! My heads Traveling Back And Forward In Time. I need to go get Alka-Seltzer Plus! (Oh what a relief it is!) 

On THIS forum, people are actually against the old South Ferry's reopening???? DAMN!

Beats me. I can't even begin to understand it as much as I am trying to acknoledge their arguement against the reopening of the SF loop.

I would give you more likes on that post , but I cant!

Seriously what is the matter of re-opening South Ferry? I feel its like 2010 when the (W) And (V) Were Discontinued and Everyone got into a fuss and started a riot! My heads Traveling Back And Forward In Time. I need to go get Alka-Seltzer Plus! (Oh what a relief it is!) 

You get your alka selzer, meanwhile I'm scrambling for beer in my fridge. Long week of work.

It's actually only one person, and that same individual is vehemently opposed to the very existence of the R32s and the (6) / (7) fleet swap, so it's not a shocker really.

Archived