R46's on the E train and some other stuff..

RTOMan

NorthEasten pulled my Coat to this..

You got Five R46's in service on the (E)cho right now..

He just rode one into Parsons, the T/O who operated them said there are five of them out there they should be out there all weekend..

Looks like some more R32's may be going Bye Bye because East New York Yard is giving Jamacia Yard some R42's..

The R160's are just taking over ENY they need the space so it looks like perhaps you may "finally" see some in service full time on the (J) Line..

Since i will be on the (J) today as well i will be able to see it for myself..

Just pulling coats people....:cool::cool:

The E was all R32, the F is a few R32 and mostly R46.

Does this mean the E will be R32 + R46 as well as the F being R32 + R46 or a combination of R32, R42, R46?

R42s are shifted from East New York Yard (J, L, M, and Z), to Pitkin Yard (A, C)in order of lowest numbered cars being the first to go.. These R42s are replacing the R32 Phase I cars, which are sent to Jamaica Yard to retire the R32 Phase II cars.

Are R42's moving to Jamaica Yard or are they going to Pitkin Yard as was thought previously?

Will be interesting once we get R160s on the E and/or F.

R42s are shifted from East New York Yard (J, L, M, and Z), to Pitkin Yard (A, C)in order of lowest numbered cars being the first to go.. These R42s are replacing the R32 Phase I cars, which are sent to Jamaica Yard to retire the R32 Phase II cars.

Oh cool! I wrote that on Wikipedia! :(

R42 4550-4637 have been transferred to Pitkin Yard. After that, R40M 4534-4549 were transferred to Pitkin from Coney Island. The R42 transfer has stopped for the time being.

Also, to RTOMan...can you get the numbers of the R42 transferred to Jamaica from your source too? If so, thanks.

Ok... lots of weird stuff here.

1] Why are R42's going to jamaica yard? Would this mean that they might run in service on the (E),(F) or (R) lines?

2]Five sets of R46's on the (E) out of the blue?

Sightly off topic but has anyone heard the rumor that R42's are coming back to the (L) line due to shortage of 143's breaking down?

1] Why are R42's going to jamaica yard? Would this mean that they might run in service on the (E),(F) or (R) lines?

Sightly off topic but has anyone heard the rumor that R42's are coming back to the (L) line due to shortage of 143's breaking down?

Impossible, the (L) can not use old car due to their CBTC, so that's poppycock. R160A from the (M) maybe but definitely no R42s.

Impossible, the (L) can not use old car due to their CBTC, so that's poppycock. R160A from the (M) maybe but definitely no R42s.

Uh, the R160A runs on the (L) and it doesn't have CBTC installed on them yet.

So 42's can still run on the (L). As 160A currently run on the line that don't have CBTC installed on them yet,

It would be nice to see R160 or R179 on the (E) and (F). It seems like right now what is happening is really a phaseout of the oldest R32 cars and some movement of cars throughout the lines. Nothing really interesting here. Only thing interesting will be if someone took a photograph of a R160 train in service on the E or F.

Whoever told you that, that's wrong information. The (L) can take older equipment and the signals work just the same as when an R160 or an R143 in bypass is operating the route...it's just like block signals in that case.

That doesn't mean cars are going over there, just means they can...

So 42's can still run on the (L). As 160A currently run on the line that don't have CBTC installed on them yet,

Unfortunately it looks like the R42 won't return to the Canarsie line.

Everybody is getting hyped for nothing, this happens Every summer in august when the R46's go to the (E) and the Jamaica yard yanks the R32's to the shop to fix the A/C units. Last year and the year before last around the same time the R46's was running on the (E). The Jamaica yard 1st in june to the very End of july they fix the R46's then august to september they fix the R32's and their A/C. This is not new to me, I have been taking the (E) for years and the same thing happens each year since 2001.

I do not know why Everybody is going Hard over an R46 (E) Train the same shit happens Every summer around august, one more thing, The R42's are going to Jamaica to knock out the rest of the phase II's out because Jamaica have owned more than 450 R32's both phase I and II and the phase I r32's from pikin are only about 170 Phase I's.

I does not take a rocket scientist to know this stuff!!!!

It would be nice to see R160 or R179 on the (E) and (F). It seems like right now what is happening is really a phaseout of the oldest R32 cars and some movement of cars throughout the lines. Nothing really interesting here. Only thing interesting will be if someone took a photograph of a R160 train in service on the E or F.

your not seeing them 'till 2013.

(:D

Everybody is getting hyped for nothing, this happens Every summer in august when the R46's go to the (E) and the Jamaica yard yanks the R32's to the shop to fix the A/C units. Last year and the year before last around the same time the R46's was running on the (E). The Jamaica yard 1st in june to the very End of july they fix the R46's then august to september they fix the R32's and their A/C. This is not new to me, I have been taking the (E) for years and the same thing happens each year since 2001.

I do not know why Everybody is going Hard over an R46 (E) Train the same shit happens Every summer around august, one more thing, The R42's are going to Jamaica to knock out the rest of the phase II's out because Jamaica have owned more than 450 R32's both phase I and II and the phase I r32's from pikin are only about 170 Phase I's.

Seems like R160s are moving through the line as more come in with the (J) as the latest addition.

As the (J) was R42 and is moving to R160, either the R42's should be used to get rid of the R32's as much as possible and get rid of the cars such as the ones with Broken A/C and screatching breaks which still exists on the line.

The (R) line also has R32's.

It seems as though there are over 500 R32 in service as of last count and 273R42 in service with the R32's diminishing at a rate of approx 20 cars a month. The R160s seem to be coming in at a rate of approx 80 cars a month.

The poster here is right with all information which means that one will see R32 for quite awhile, but one will start to see R42's in the line as well. Hopefully the next batch of R32's to go are the ones with busted A/C and/or squeaking breaks. That number of approx 20 cars a month of the R32's gone could increase since I know alot of the cars which were being phased out previously were cars coming from other lines which had cars such as R40 slants and the like. Those R40 Slant pictures seemed to have cars from the

(:( and (N) lines.

Your right it takes a Person who works down here sometimes to to figure it out..

Not somebody who "thinks" they know everything...

I wonder why this didnt happen last year when i posted in the Yards and on the Lines in the Summer from the A div i did not see one R46 on the (E)cho...

Or heard anything...

Any answers?

Let me know when you got em...

• 2 weeks later...

No the R42 should not return to the (L) line because it moved to the other lines. I think the R38 should run on the (L) line if the R143 are having breakdowns.

No the R42 should not return to the (L) line because it moved to the other lines. I think the R38 should run on the (L) line if the R143 are having breakdowns.

Nope. You wouldn't see anything but R143s and R160s on the (L). So what will happen, they'll just put more R160s on the line.

I think the R38 and R42 could run on the (L) line since the R143 are having breakdowns. I guess the R143 might retire early just like R110A and R110B.

R110A was retire in 1999 due to brake problems and fire damage.

R110B retire in 2000 due to breakdowns and low Mean Distance Between Failure (MBDF).

Maybe R143 might retire due to breakdowns,if this problem continues just like R110A and R110B.

I think the R38 and R42 could run on the (L) line since the R143 are having breakdowns. I guess the R143 might retire early just like R110A and R110B.

R110B retire in 2000 due to breakdowns and low Mean Distance Between Failure (MBDF).

Maybe R143 might retire due to breakdowns,if this problem continues just like R110A and R110B.

No chance... the R110A/B were only prototypes for today's NTTs.

The brake problem on the 110A set is fixed, the fire damage thing is a myth.

The MTA has no money to retire the 143's they will just have to find a way to make em reliable....

Archived