Improvising Daylight Saving Time

ACEVE14

lol... The problem is many of us don't get to see that evening sunset and only see any daylight in the morning when we're heading to work...

Interesting, because during most summer nights it doesn't even darken until around 9:00PM PT out here.

Interesting, because during most summer nights it doesn't even darken until around 9:00PM PT out here.

Yeah in my case I tend to leave the office fairly late so if there's still sunlight when I'm leaving it's a pretty nice feeling. Also nice to get off of the express bus and still have sunlight.  During the summer months, it's nice to switch up the commute a little and walk different ways, particularly in areas with shade.  :lol:

Shyt i dont blame them. Can you imagine no sun for months, its like wth are you trying to accomplish today.

I'd imagine on the flip side there'd be periods of time where the sun is always up like 24 hours, so that'd be crazy going out at 10pm and it's still bright out as if it was 12pm. Same goes for parts of Alaska.

=

As for the mornings, I love it dark out. I don't want to wake up with the sun already bright and sunny. I want at least an hour to get adjusted to waking up and then commuting. Ie: take the pain slowly than all at once. I welcome any changes that allows for more hours of light at night. I'd rather be able to get back home without having to watch over my shoulder some person in the darkness behind me.

I'd imagine on the flip side there'd be periods of time where the sun is always up like 24 hours, so that'd be crazy going out at 10pm and it's still bright out as if it was 12pm. Same goes for parts of Alaska.

=

As for the mornings, I love it dark out. I don't want to wake up with the sun already bright and sunny. I want at least an hour to get adjusted to waking up and then commuting. Ie: take the pain slowly than all at once. I welcome any changes that allows for more hours of light at night. I'd rather be able to get back home without having to watch over my shoulder some person in the darkness behind me.

What a coincidence you said that! A family member at last's night's family dinner I've attended (My apologies for posting previously while drunk at the gathering lol that was stupid....) was talking about her vacation in Alaska a couple of years ago. That's what she said. Exactly that. I don't even know how Alaskans adapted to these surreal patterns of sunrise and sunset. But as she said they did. Whew imagine a native NYer trying to sleep under such natural conditions! I would imagine major insomnia to say the least.

She also said that food costs are extremely high as all food is imported for obvious reasons: The geographic and meteorological conditions there does not make for contained sustaining of crops and livestock. To boot, they depend on oil for power generators for electricity which is actually imported from Russia! The moar you know....

Here's an interesting article she showed me last night on the recent Alaskan power crisis in the town of Nome: http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/nome-faces-energy-crisis-wake-bering-sea-storm

I don't see where Daylights Savings Time does anything. It's not like our adjusting of clocks keeps the sun shining longer than it would be. I see it as 25 hour day when clocks are set back and a 23 hour day when they're ahead. I would get rid of it because there is no harm in having the sun rise at about 4 am (which is 5 am under DST) and set just before 8 pm. 

I don't see where Daylights Savings Time does anything. It's not like our adjusting of clocks keeps the sun shining longer than it would be. I see it as 25 hour day when clocks are set back and a 23 hour day when they're ahead. I would get rid of it because there is no harm in having the sun rise at about 4 am (which is 5 am under DST) and set just before 8 pm. 

What I understand on this is that the practice of advancing the time so that evenings have more sunlight and mornings have less sunlight, in order to, accomidate for functionality of a world full of activities vital for societies to function. Such as with businesses, schools, transportation (Cars, transit, air travel etc...) This is because we are obligated by standard time and not solar time according to the position of the Earth in proximity of the sun. That is the justification of it. 

Another reason is so the standard time can be shifted so that people can experience darkness for sleep during the early AM hours. As most people are not on night scedules. So there's an interesting polysomnograpic aspect to this as well. That's the justification of those for DST. Which is flawed in ways because of differences in time of sunlight depending on the latitude of a given location at a certain time at a certain phase of the Earth tilt and location in it's orbit. 

Again, myself ? Lol, well:

Jesus Christ. I'm sleep deprived as it is.

What I understand on this is that the practice of advancing the time so that evenings have more sunlight and mornings have less sunlight, in order to, accomidate for functionality of a world full of activities vital for societies to function. Such as with businesses, schools, transportation (Cars, transit, air travel etc...) This is because we are obligated by standard time and not solar time according to the position of the Earth in proximity of the sun. That is the justification of it. 

Another reason is so the standard time can be shifted so that people can experience darkness for sleep during the early AM hours. As most people are not on night scedules. So there's an interesting polysomnograpic aspect to this as well. That's the justification of those for DST. Which is flawed in ways because of differences in time of sunlight depending on the latitude of a given location at a certain time at a certain phase of the Earth tilt and location in it's orbit. 

Again, myself ? Lol, well:

While that's all understood, there's more than enough ambient light in these postmodern times to make up for the lack of evening sunlight which really isn't lacking. In winter the sun usually sets sometime before 5 pm which is much earlier than summer even if we ingore DST in the summer. People survive in the winter despite the lack of evening daylight. 

Not all streets are well lit. In the suburban areas you are lucky to have a light pole every 6 or such houses. There's not enough light. People need to get over the loss of the one hour as the only reason to hate dst. More light at night is a good thing. Also it means people don't need to turn on the lights for maybe an hour they don't have to, so there's some energy savings by making more use of the sunlight.

But what's the point in having sunlight at 4AM? More people will get to enjoy sunlight at 8PM, compared to 4AM. Plus, what realizm and GC said.

But what's the point in having sunlight at 4AM? More people will get to enjoy sunlight at 8PM, compared to 4AM. Plus, what realizm and GC said.

I'm just going by the masterminds behind the creation of daylight savings time. I didn't invent this, I'm simply stating a bit of background info here. Don't kill the messenger.

I'm just going by the masterminds behind the creation of daylight savings time. I didn't invent this, I'm simply stating a bit of background info here. Don't kill the messenger.

Checkmate, disregard that comment. I thought that was in response to my post. Error on my part.

Forget improvising, the whole idea of DST should be scrapped.  Although the concept of "time" is entirely relative, changing it's base tends to cause more problems than it solves.

My understanding is that the opposing arguement lies:

1) In which the energy savings (as supporters state as electricity savings of 1%) is unconclusive. 

2) That DST can disrupts morning activities. (Admittedly I actually feel thrown off when all of a sudden with the changes in DST all of a sudden I'm seeing daylight at 6AM approx in the summer as opposed to still seeing the moon shine during that same time. Not good if trying to get to work on time (like this morning) aside from the loss of 1 hr during this time. Schoolkids have to leave for school in the dark, another disadvantage during the winter months. DST throws of scedules and tiometables in the Air Travel Industry.

3) Changing clocks twice a year disrupts social and economic activities and the disadvantages outweighs the benefits. Interesting it seems that one of those against this are transit agencies or public benefit corporations such as the MTA. (!!!) Other organizations affiliated with the outdoor entertainment sub-industry and the argicultural/livestock industries also oppose DST.

4) Lastly as I mentioned in my previous post is that because of the practice of advancing the time where evenings have more sunlight and mornings have less sunlight, in order to, accomidate for functionality of a world full of activities vital for societies to function, everything can get thrown off. Even in the IT world we can get thrown off.

5) ....and that so there's a negative polysomnograpic aspect to this.... (People's sleep cycles are thrown off)

6) ..... and finally because of differences in time of sunlight depending on the latitude of a given location at a certain time at a certain phase of the Earth tilt and location in it's orbit as I previously mentioned. We go by standard time overall, and are not in harmony with solar time, the whole point of setting daylight savings time standards in the first place. Which I don't agree with but will live with because we cannot change the world, unless you have any better ideas to share with NATO. (Silly political toungue in cheek statement)

Archived