Trip to Portland, Maine: a Dormant Railroad and Good Public Transportation

I took a trip to Portland, Maine last week. Apparently, it wasn't tourist season yet and a lot of things were shut down—like their narrow gauge railroad which doesn't run until late April or early May if I heard correctly. What was running was their bus system, which I believe to be far better than what we have here in New York City: fare is only $1.50 per ride and a monthly pass is only $45 (which you simply flash to the driver before you board); average speeds are much faster with well-spaced pickup stops; the drivers will let you off wherever you request to stop; and they are also very polite!

This is a video taken from inside a bus:

I took an excursion out to the narrow gauge railroad which runs along the shore on the last day of my trip. The trains are apparently still wooden, and the gauge is very narrow.

Here are some photos:

flic.kr/s/aHsjEhvx3a

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66825635@N04/sets/72157632960448929/

Never been there but I heard Maine is a beautiful place to live, for those wanting to get away from the rat race of New York City. I have to do that from time to time but usually I may head down to Maryland or Penn State. Ohio too. I'm thinking California next to check it out and see whats going on in San Francisco and the Bay Area, got friends down there, one of them recently got maried and moved out of NYC to San Fran, California.

Thank you sir for the pics and video. The pics were well executed and gives a very serene and calm aura of the beauty of the United States outside of the concrete jungle called NYC. We all need a break once in a while, indeed.

Owe you on the +1, reached the quota limit, but yes! +1!

The price is lower because the bus system is far smaller, you can't compare Portland ME with a big city like New York City.

Average speeds are better because the traffic is lower and so is the number of passengers.

In Portland, the bus is the only means of public transportation.

In New York, there is the subway, buses are mostly for more local trips.

The price is lower because the bus system is far smaller, you can't compare Portland ME with a big city like New York City.

Average speeds are better because the traffic is lower and so is the number of passengers.

Indeed. Transit systems are way different out of state and that's what makes the transit system in NYC so unique as a vast system that runs 24/7 365 days a year.

Many states outside NYC, even upstate NY is like a totally different world from my continental US travels and my experiences giving it a go with living outside NY in the distant past. Which is a good thing for a change of pace for the mind. Even the air, clean fresh air with the pleasant odor of pine trees and fragrant shrubs and wild flowers, without the smog and stench we have here in the Big Apple. The people are friendly too with notable exceptions but yes, more hospitable. Of course there are really great people with good hearts in NYC as well but not as much to be fair.

*Understandable. It is psychologically proven that because of the higher density of people concentrated in a big city, there is more cases of people under stress affecting their health physiologically and psycologically speaking. Unlike many areas in other states where people have the enjoyment of more personal space and more nature-tuned settings.

http://www.nature.com/news/stress-and-the-city-urban-decay-1.11556

Owe you on the +1, reached the quota limit, but yes! +1!

Why thank you. :)

You also have to take into consideration that there are far less passengers. Given the same proportion of funding, I'm willing to bet that New York City's trains and buses would be a lot cheaper too. We are subsidized, but over time the state and city has been worse with contributions.

Guys Portland Maine is a great place to visit. Especially during the summer with their great fishing and beach area. Think of it as a smaller Boston that has the feel of Montauk, Long Island. I was most recent there in summer of 2004. Might go visit there later this year as a lady friend I dated briefly has plans to move up there for a job.

I never been on their local bus but Ku makes a great point. You cant compare NYC to any other city in US mass transit wise. NYC is more similar to say Tokyo or an European city. Cen thanks for the video.

I took a trip to Portland, Maine last week. Apparently, it wasn't tourist season yet and a lot of things were shut down—like their narrow gauge railroad which doesn't run until late April or early May if I heard correctly. What was running was their bus system, which I believe to be far better than what we have here in New York City: fare is only $1.50 per ride and a monthly pass is only $45 (which you simply flash to the driver before you board); average speeds are much faster with well-spaced pickup stops; the drivers will let you off wherever you request to stop; and they are also very polite!

This is a video taken from inside a bus:

I took an excursion out to the narrow gauge railroad which runs along the shore on the last day of my trip. The trains are apparently still wooden, and the gauge is very narrow.

Here are some photos:

flic.kr/s/aHsjEhvx3a

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66825635@N04/sets/72157632960448929/

DUDE you are in maine OF COURSE BUSES ARE GOING TO BE FASTER!!!!!!!!!!! In fact many suburban buses are quite fast unless they meander alot or excessively governed like the bee-line.

Archived