2013 NYC Mayoral Election Discussion

Amtrak7

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

The one thing I will say is that while none of these candidates that support more express buses gave details, I think the X1 overnight service shows what bus service can do for communities.  This new overnight express bus service has given Staten Islanders all over the island a much quicker commute to and from the city and this also makes travel for those who want to get to Staten Island during late hours a quick commute as well.  I went from the Mid-Island to Midtown in about 40 minutes... I personally think that it makes Staten Island MUCH more accessible and attractive on a number of levels.

I also think that it's wise that we explore more ferry service and particularly fast ferry service. Yes it needs to be heavily subsidized, but it opens up tons of opportunities for new communities around the city (i.e. Williamsburg) and when successful the subsides can be worth it. We have to tap into new markets and not just look at the subway and local bus as the only way to move people.  Transit doesn't have to be dirt cheap for people to use it.  If it is reliable and can move a decent amount of people it should be tested.  

Well since the SI ferries were designed to carry cars over, I don't see the need to continue the trend and they should start from scratch. They need to go with faster ferries to speed up the trip and then hopefully it's enough to end the expensive 'idea' to extend a subway line from Manhattan to SI.

Well the issue with fast ferries will simply be where will they be located on Staten Island.  They've had one set up after Hurricane Sandy to try to gauge interest and that hasn't been so great because the pier is sort out of the way and folks don't like where the parking is.  Many say they would prefer it if a bus could just take them there.  I agree quite frankly. I mean I think some folks are starting to get out of the idea of jumping in the car unless they have to otherwise it can be much more relaxing using public transit.

The fast ferry in Williamsburg has been much more successful than expected and I'm not surprised due to the type of folks moving in there.  Young professionals like myself who don't want to be tied down to a car.  A lot of those folks can simply walk to the ferry or hop on a shuttle provided by some of the apt. complexes near by and get there that way.  The ride is something like $4.00 but the views and fresh air are great and you're crammed in a subway car on the overcrowded (L).

That makes them all pro mass transit. This is looking pretty good for the (MTA) so far.

Yeah but the key is what they would do when it comes to funding the (MTA)...

That makes them all pro mass transit. This is looking pretty good for the (MTA) so far.

The problem is as mayor they has little to say in the matter if the State retains control.

The one thing I will say is that while none of these candidates that support more express buses gave details, I think the X1 overnight service shows what bus service can do for communities.  This new overnight express bus service has given Staten Islanders all over the island a much quicker commute to and from the city and this also makes travel for those who want to get to Staten Island during late hours a quick commute as well.  I went from the Mid-Island to Midtown in about 40 minutes... I personally think that it makes Staten Island MUCH more accessible and attractive on a number of levels.

I also think that it's wise that we explore more ferry service and particularly fast ferry service. Yes it needs to be heavily subsidized, but it opens up tons of opportunities for new communities around the city (i.e. Williamsburg) and when successful the subsides can be worth it. We have to tap into new markets and not just look at the subway and local bus as the only way to move people.  Transit doesn't have to be dirt cheap for people to use it.  If it is reliable and can move a decent amount of people it should be tested.  

Hopefully they will give more specifics on their websites. You can't say that much in two minutes.

Regarding ferries, I talk more about them in Part 3.

No. I will bet that at least one of them (if not most) is pulling shit out of their ass or just Googling the most popular ideas to win brownie points at public appearances. Mayor Bloomberg said he'd get the (F) express on track when he was campaigning for the third term. The (F) express idea wasn't even his to begin with, and he has no bearing on what the MTA does with the Culver line.

No. I will bet that at least one of them (if not most) is pulling shit out of their ass or just Googling the most popular ideas to win brownie points at public appearances. Mayor Bloomberg said he'd get the (F) express on track when he was campaigning for the third term. The (F) express idea wasn't even his to begin with, and he has no bearing on what the MTA does with the Culver line.

What about the free crosstown buses he promised in Manhattan? Then he took it back the day after Election Day when a reporter asked him about it?

Even Lhota got fed up with Bloomberg making random announcements about MTA improvements that he had no authority to make

I will admit that the X1 is so much faster than the SBS-S79 to the (R) you literally can't even compare the 2 in speed. X1 from somewhere in new dorp took me 20 mins to fulton transit center for (A) the S79 to (R) took 40+ mins just to reach downtown brooklyn or more like 50 mins but I was shocked how fast the X1 really was. If X1 uses hylan blvd how does it leave the S79 in the dust?

Well since the SI ferries were designed to carry cars over, I don't see the need to continue the trend and they should start from scratch. They need to go with faster ferries to speed up the trip and then hopefully it's enough to end the expensive 'idea' to extend a subway line from Manhattan to SI.

Well I kinda agree with you as a subway line from SI to manhattan will not be a good investment and carries too much cost to be worth it. However a tunnel to brooklyn should be considered in the future along with that so called X line but I don't see it happening unless a developer with $$$ backs it up.

Well the issue with fast ferries will simply be where will they be located on Staten Island.  They've had one set up after Hurricane Sandy to try to gauge interest and that hasn't been so great because the pier is sort out of the way and folks don't like where the parking is.  Many say they would prefer it if a bus could just take them there.  I agree quite frankly. I mean I think some folks are starting to get out of the idea of jumping in the car unless they have to otherwise it can be much more relaxing using public transit.

The fast ferry in Williamsburg has been much more successful than expected and I'm not surprised due to the type of folks moving in there.  Young professionals like myself who don't want to be tied down to a car.  A lot of those folks can simply walk to the ferry or hop on a shuttle provided by some of the apt. complexes near by and get there that way.  The ride is something like $4.00 but the views and fresh air are great and you're crammed in a subway car on the overcrowded (L).

Yeah but the key is what they would do when it comes to funding the (MTA)...

To be honest the fast ferry in williamsburg doesn't surprise me at all look at the alternative that is the BQE? LOL :lol:  not even a comparison that ferry is a godsend. If I-278 express bus service is improved and say linked to this ferry prepare to see a whole lot less cars on the BQE at times you can walk faster than driving that is just plain sad no wonder people flock to that fast ferry look at the other options no contest it's like comparing the express bus to the local bus in SI for the ferry if you come from anywhere not in NE north shore SI.

I will admit that the X1 is so much faster than the SBS-S79 to the (R) you literally can't even compare the 2 in speed. X1 from somewhere in new dorp took me 20 mins to fulton transit center for (A) the S79 to (R) took 40+ mins just to reach downtown brooklyn or more like 50 mins but I was shocked how fast the X1 really was. If X1 uses hylan blvd how does it leave the S79 in the dust?

Not that shocking... At night most X1s to the city aren't packed though they still can get a good 20 or so people on them and it tends to make fewer stops. When it does however people get on and keep it moving.  A lot of the smaller stops that are usually pick-ups are empty so you combine that with light traffic on Hylan and the Gowanus and it isn't shocking.  S79 meanwhile is serving folks who want Brooklyn and Manhattan and while it is fast, the additional connections required to the subway eats away any potential time savings.

Interesting that Thompson feels the way he does about congestion pricing, but let's face it. Some people like their cars because they don't want to deal with public transit because it's usually uncomfortable and crowded and the only way to get them out of their cars is to make transit more appealing.  That means don't focus all of the monies on subways and local buses.  Focus on the more higher end modes of transit if you will... Enhance express bus service, MetroNorth, LIRR and fast ferry service and perhaps do something on a business scale if you will to attract more of the big hitters.  

When I lived in Europe, everyone took public transit because there was transportation that attracted folks from various economic classes.  EuroStar Italia for example has this business class section and the more affluent folks use it that would otherwise drive to their destinations.  Transit is supposed to be about getting from point A to point B, but I think we need to start thinking outside of the box. Some folks slam me for my preference of using the express bus over the crowded subway, but without it, I am sure I would've purchased a car by now.  You also have those that take taxis everywhere rather than drive, but they're still using public transit and that's a perfect example of what I'm talking about.  

In my case I have a fairly short and easy walk to the express bus, it runs fairly frequent most of the day with 15 minute headways, is very reliable and gets me to the city (which is generally where I go) in 30 minutes and I can take a nap and relax.  If I compared that to having a car in Riverdale, surely I would have to park the car in a garage (there are many garages but not necessarily that close to my apt.) so for me it is simply more convenient to use the express bus, BUT if I had to use the subway, I would certainly be using a car instead because the subway would require one local bus and two to three subways depending on my destination.

In short, I'm from the generation that prefers using public transit over driving and also having lived in Europe and seen how efficient public transit is is another reason why I prefer it over having a car.  The key thing is comfort, speed and reliability, all of which I currently have, so if Thompson or other politicians truly want to improve transit, I think they need to look at those sorts of things and see how they can attract more people out of their cars.

Interesting that Thompson feels the way he does about congestion pricing, but let's face it. Some people like their cars because they don't want to deal with public transit because it's usually uncomfortable and crowded and the only way to get them out of their cars is to make transit more appealing.  That means don't focus all of the monies on subways and local buses.  Focus on the more higher end modes of transit if you will... Enhance express bus service, MetroNorth, LIRR and fast ferry service and perhaps do something on a business scale if you will to attract more of the big hitters.  

When I lived in Europe, everyone took public transit because there was transportation that attracted folks from various economic classes.  EuroStar Italia for example has this business class section and the more affluent folks use it that would otherwise drive to their destinations.  Transit is supposed to be about getting from point A to point B, but I think we need to start thinking outside of the box. Some folks slam me for my preference of using the express bus over the crowded subway, but without it, I am sure I would've purchased a car by now.  You also have those that take taxis everywhere rather than drive, but they're still using public transit and that's a perfect example of what I'm talking about.  

In my case I have a fairly short and easy walk to the express bus, it runs fairly frequent most of the day with 15 minute headways, is very reliable and gets me to the city (which is generally where I go) in 30 minutes and I can take a nap and relax.  If I compared that to having a car in Riverdale, surely I would have to park the car in a garage (there are many garages but not necessarily that close to my apt.) so for me it is simply more convenient to use the express bus, BUT if I had to use the subway, I would certainly be using a car instead because the subway would require one local bus and two to three subways depending on my destination.

In short, I'm from the generation that prefers using public transit over driving and also having lived in Europe and seen how efficient public transit is is another reason why I prefer it over having a car.  The key thing is comfort, speed and reliability, all of which I currently have, so if Thompson or other politicians truly want to improve transit, I think they need to look at those sorts of things and see how they can attract more people out of their cars.

I agree with you. The MTA really has to change the way they think and so does the State and Federal Government to think more like you do. The MTA is really very myopic and does not realize its mission. It's not like a private corporation to maximize its profit (reduce its loss, in their case), but to provide a public service.

But there is a problem with more express buses entering Manhattan because they also cause congestion because of the sheer number of them.  That's why I thought that double decker express buses may make some sense as Allon suggested, provided the clearance issues could be handled.They would take up less street space than articulated, and average passenger trips are long

I'm not sure that more express buses to Manhattan would get people out of their cars. I think they may get more people out of the subways instead and that would not be good.  I am all for express buses between other boroughs to reduce car ownership.  The service does not have to be that frequent, once an hour or only  several trips a day may be sufficient in some cases, if the schedule was reliable.

I agree with you. The MTA really has to change the way they think and so does the State and Federal Government to think more like you do. The MTA is really very myopic and does not realize its mission. It's not like a private corporation to maximize its profit (reduce its loss, in their case), but to provide a public service.

But there is a problem with more express buses entering Manhattan because they also cause congestion because of the sheer number of them.  That's why I thought that double decker express buses may make some sense as Allon suggested, provided the clearance issues could be handled.They would take up less street space than articulated, and average passenger trips are long

I'm not sure that more express buses to Manhattan would get people out of their cars. I think they may get more people out of the subways instead and that would not be good.  I am all for express buses between other boroughs to reduce car ownership.  The service does not have to be that frequent, once an hour or only  several trips a day may be sufficient in some cases, if the schedule was reliable.

Express bus service isn't the only thing that should be looked.  As I said before, I would look at fast ferry service, introducing special business class cars or other more high end services on the LIRR and MetroNorth to make the commute more attractive because these are the kind of folks that will still drive and don't want to give up their cars.  MetroNorth is well advertised here in Riverdale and it should be because there is a market for it.  That's why it was a good idea that they increased the headways during middays and opened the service up to make stops in both Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale and when I spoke at the meeting I made it known that reducing the headways and running the service later (perhaps adding one more train out of Grand Central) would be a great idea to getting occasional riders to become regular riders.  

I don't think that having more express buses would be that big of a deal since in most cases it would be hourly service on some lines, but they would first have to make that service more attractive to begin with.  I can assure you that the X1 overnight service that was recently introduced will be a HUGE success.  I've already used it and saw decent loads and it we're in the winter months... Imagine when it gets warmer... It can be an economic boost for Staten Island and also for Manhattan with more people willing to go to the city and hangout or take in late shows and such knowing that they don't have to run back or have to worry about driving.

I can see myself going to Staten Island more and shopping esp. since I can do so later on at night now that the X1 runs late and the ride is so quick and easy to get to my bus back to Riverdale.  

Express bus service isn't the only thing that should be looked.  As I said before, I would look at fast ferry service, introducing special business class cars or other more high end services on the LIRR and MetroNorth to make the commute more attractive because these are the kind of folks that will still drive and don't want to give up their cars.  MetroNorth is well advertised here in Riverdale and it should be because there is a market for it.  That's why it was a good idea that they increased the headways during middays and opened the service up to make stops in both Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale and when I spoke at the meeting I made it known that reducing the headways and running the service later (perhaps adding one more train out of Grand Central) would be a great idea to getting occasional riders to become regular riders.  

I don't think that having more express buses would be that big of a deal since in most cases it would be hourly service on some lines, but they would first have to make that service more attractive to begin with.  I can assure you that the X1 overnight service that was recently introduced will be a HUGE success.  I've already used it and saw decent loads and it we're in the winter months... Imagine when it gets warmer... It can be an economic boost for Staten Island and also for Manhattan with more people willing to go to the city and hangout or take in late shows and such knowing that they don't have to run back or have to worry about driving.

I can see myself going to Staten Island more and shopping esp. since I can do so later on at night now that the X1 runs late and the ride is so quick and easy to get to my bus back to Riverdale.  

For more city residents to use LIRR, the following needs to happen:

• Improved station facilities, so at the very least all train cars can open and people can find the entrances
  • Less erratic scheduling for the "local" stops within Queens
  • A handful of infill stations - LIRR bypasses busy neighborhoods whose only options are overcrowded buses and subways, and they could significantly boost ridership
  • Lower in-city fares, from $8.75 to something closer to the current express bus fare or CityTicket
  • Marketing of this new service - almost no one in Queens knows of or has even heard of CityTicket, which would probably be more popular if more people knew it existed

LIRR would probably be inundated with riders paying to get off the overcrowded buses and subways, so they'd probably need to improve capacity by doing the following:

• Modified seating layout, from the current layout to something more like London Overground's rolling stock, a commuter rail system also designed to make commuting for outer London residents easier. At the very least, the 2x3 seating would need to be converted to 2x2 to hold more standing passengers.
  • Improve signalling - trains run every four to six minutes out of Jamaica Station right now, and they're often delayed. These trains are also already standing-room-only, so existing service levels would not be able to handle more in-city ridership. Adding more trains might be difficult, if not impossible.
  • Change the fare inspection system, at least within city limits. Currently, LIRR conductors on trains go through each car, inspecting every last passenger for tickets. If ridership rose, this might not be possible. Either turnstiles would need to be installed, or fares within the city would have to be proof-of-payment, the same system SBS uses. Once trains leave the city limits, conductors could then resume checking tickets as they used to, if the MTA was reluctant to switch the fare system of the entire LIRR.

I wish the city would make its commuter rail services more attractive and easier to use, but given the sheer amount of investment and political capital that it would require, I highly doubt that any politician could, or would take on a project of this size.

Well I kinda agree with you as a subway line from SI to manhattan will not be a good investment and carries too much cost to be worth it. However a tunnel to brooklyn should be considered in the future along with that so called X line but I don't see it happening unless a developer with $$$ backs it up.

To be honest the fast ferry in williamsburg doesn't surprise me at all look at the alternative that is the BQE? LOL :lol:  not even a comparison that ferry is a godsend. If I-278 express bus service is improved and say linked to this ferry prepare to see a whole lot less cars on the BQE at times you can walk faster than driving that is just plain sad no wonder people flock to that fast ferry look at the other options no contest it's like comparing the express bus to the local bus in SI for the ferry if you come from anywhere not in NE north shore SI.

I can't say for sure, but the X1 is probably less heavily utilized than the S79, and I don't think express buses have to do drop-offs within their borough of origin.

How fast does the SI Ferry run? If it's possible to speed it up, they should do it.

For more city residents to use LIRR, the following needs to happen:

• Improved station facilities, so at the very least all train cars can open and people can find the entrances
  • Less erratic scheduling for the "local" stops within Queens
  • A handful of infill stations - LIRR bypasses busy neighborhoods whose only options are overcrowded buses and subways, and they could significantly boost ridership
  • Lower in-city fares, from $8.75 to something closer to the current express bus fare or CityTicket
  • Marketing of this new service - almost no one in Queens knows of or has even heard of CityTicket, which would probably be more popular if more people knew it existed

LIRR would probably be inundated with riders paying to get off the overcrowded buses and subways, so they'd probably need to improve capacity by doing the following:

• Modified seating layout, from the current layout to something more like London Overground's rolling stock, a commuter rail system also designed to make commuting for outer London residents easier. At the very least, the 2x3 seating would need to be converted to 2x2 to hold more standing passengers.
  • Improve signalling - trains run every four to six minutes out of Jamaica Station right now, and they're often delayed. These trains are also already standing-room-only, so existing service levels would not be able to handle more in-city ridership. Adding more trains might be difficult, if not impossible.
  • Change the fare inspection system, at least within city limits. Currently, LIRR conductors on trains go through each car, inspecting every last passenger for tickets. If ridership rose, this might not be possible. Either turnstiles would need to be installed, or fares within the city would have to be proof-of-payment, the same system SBS uses. Once trains leave the city limits, conductors could then resume checking tickets as they used to, if the MTA was reluctant to switch the fare system of the entire LIRR.

I wish the city would make its commuter rail services more attractive and easier to use, but given the sheer amount of investment and political capital that it would require, I highly doubt that any politician could, or would take on a project of this size.

I can't say for sure, but the X1 is probably less heavily utilized than the S79, and I don't think express buses have to do drop-offs within their borough of origin.

How fast does the SI Ferry run? If it's possible to speed it up, they should do it.

I wouldn't support making the fares lower... The LIRR and MetroNorth are examples of high end services that those who drive should be lured into with certain cars of trains having special ridership benefits... Perhaps individual seats that recline with even a sort of serving service where they can order food or drinks and have it brought to them similar to what is done on Euro Star Italia for their business class.  The folks in Queens taking the subway or local bus are already taking transit... We're talking about those folks in Queens that drive....

Well, my counterargument still stands....

Well, part of it is the slow (R) train, whereas the X1 gets on the expressway (which is hopefully moving). Part of it might also have to do with pick-ups and drop-offs, but remember that the S79 makes fewer stops than the X1. I remember another poster (161passenger) talking about how he would switch from the X1 to the S79 to save some time, because the X1 hit every stop.

With the current boats, I don't think you can speed them up. You'd have to get a different type of boat (which should happen, but don't hold your breath)

Exactly that is the thing more express buses to manhattan will not get people out of their cars especially if they are not going to manhattan in the first place. Just look at the gowanus when I was on the X1 the tunnel was basically empty yet as we got into the gowanus then the traffic got heavy all of which came from the BQE I literally see tons of people just go directly to the BQE. If there were express buses to say dumbo and williamsburg via BQE to areas not well served by transit with HOV then yes you will get people out of their cars. Many in dyker heights and bay ridge go to red hook and williamsburg mostly williamsburg and dumbo and those areas near but not quite at downtown brooklyn. If B103 took a more direct path and was marketed better I am sure it's ridership beyond the jct would get much higher than it is now. SI can use a few non manhattan bound express buses plus with the volume of traffic on the BQE and belt once an hour will definitely not do heck people will actually laugh at the schedule and continue to drive. Even if they used the service there is no way hourly service would be sufficient for the demand that exists.

ok better marketing is key. If people realized how convenient it is to use the bus to the LIRR and it was marketed well NICE would have alot more riders. Peoplem is most people do not even know where the buses go at all or even how to effectively use them. Just ask a random LIer and they would give you the look and ask "there are buses where I live? no way"

Well, my counterargument still stands....

Well, part of it is the slow (R) train, whereas the X1 gets on the expressway (which is hopefully moving). Part of it might also have to do with pick-ups and drop-offs, but remember that the S79 makes fewer stops than the X1. I remember another poster (161passenger) talking about how he would switch from the X1 to the S79 to save some time, because the X1 hit every stop.

With the current boats, I don't think you can speed them up. You'd have to get a different type of boat (which should happen, but don't hold your breath)

When I took the (R) there was an (N) waiting there timed then another (R) at atlantic. So connections were shockingly on point. I guess it was the speed on the highway really left the train in the dust. I guess it is that blazing on the highway then.

Even Lhota got fed up with Bloomberg making random announcements about MTA improvements that he had no authority to make

It sure as heck did happen with the proposal (under the MTA's noses) that Bloomberg made to extend the (7) from it's current terminus to be, all the way to Secaucus NJ taking advantage of an excess of 3 billion dollars in unused funds from the killed ARC tunnel project thanks to Gov Christie and the Port Authority of NY and NJ. I'm very sure Bloomberg obviously meant that as a political move in his heyday as the MTA spokespersons clearly indicated they did not envision such a project nor will even think about even starting enviormental studies on such a pipe dream of a project.

Matter of fact as CenSin put it (and I've could'nt possibly had sum this all up any better myself):

It sure as heck did happen with the proposal (under the MTA's noses) that Bloomberg made to extend the (7) from it's current terminus to be, all the way to Secaucus NJ taking advantage of an excess of 3 billion dollars in unused funds from the killed ARC tunnel project thanks to Gov Christie and the Port Authority of NY and NJ. I'm very sure Bloomberg obviously meant that as a political move in his heyday as the MTA spokespersons clearly indicated they did not envision such a project nor will even think about even starting enviormental studies on such a pipe dream of a project.

Matter of fact as CenSin put it (and I've could'nt possibly had sum this all up any better myself):

Thankfully that (7) extension idea to NJ was discarded and canceled. Cause one that same money can be used for a new line crosstown or even better extend SIR to astoria via tunnel and former LIRR ROW in the meantime electrification of that line and new tracks can be done with that $3 billion. Use of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_ferry until a tunnel can be built should be considered. But I don't think now is the right time for this at all.

Archived