2013 NYC Mayoral Election Discussion

Amtrak7

Don't be fooled, Catsimatidis has no chance whatsoever, politically speaking. He's more of a laughing stock than anything, this sort of ridiculous comedic figure. Lhota, on the other hand, has a very realistic chance of becoming the next mayor. 

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be fooled, Catsimatidis has no chance whatsoever, politically speaking. He's more of a laughing stock than anything, this sort of ridiculous comedic figure. Lhota, on the other hand, has a very realistic chance of becoming the next mayor.

If he runs the city like he runs Gristedes, we all would be in even deeper shit than we are now

post-5097-0-45386000-1376484914_thumb.jpg
This was the night when the camera was on all the Democratic candidates for mayor and not just the one so famous now for modern cameras, which means Anthony Weiner. And on the first big stage of the campaign, playing to a live television audience, you were surprised by the end of the hour how small they all looked, with the exception of a big guy like Bill de Blasio, who almost won the night by default. For months, all of them — Weiner, de Blasio, Chris Quinn, Bill Thompson, John Liu — had been running campaigns all over town that felt like out-of-town tryouts. Finally on Tuesday night we get the chance to see all of them together and the only thing harder than listening to some of their rehearsed, wooden answers was trying to see the next mayor of the city on Channel 7.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-45386000-1376484914_thumb.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/deblasio-nyc-debate-clear-winner-weiner-article-1.1426186#ixzz2bxVUTqCW

“I keep going to City Hall every day,” Quinn said more than once, but the way she is going and the way she looked on Tuesday night as she played defense for an entire hour, you start to think that by next year the only way she gets into the place is on a tour.

I think Mike Lupica's assessment is spot on. She's starting to protray herself more of a political joke of a candadite then anything else, a NYC Sarah Palin if you will, as a mayoral candidate. I would imagine at this point even amongst hard-line conservatives shaking their heads at her performance in the debate, she's nothing but a laughing stock now.

lol... What's with Bill de Blasio showing his son constantly? You would think with all of the money that he has, he could get his son a

frigid' haircut instead of walking around looking like that. <_<

Wellthe way the media is,they want to see the candidate's family so there he is.

Quinn_Magician.jpg?1371176223

+1,000,000

• 2 weeks later...

lol... What's with Bill de Blasio showing his son constantly? You would think with all of the money that he has, he could get his son a friggin' haircut instead of walking around looking like that.  <_<

*Shakes head.*

Cool, Joe Lhota is endorsed by the New York Post:

http://m.nypost.com/p/news/local/ny_can_go_back_to_bad_old_days_AFBbYTi7m5Px2gMmckG7wM (sorry for mobile link)

Is anybody surprised? Those fear-mongering liars are right at home with an ex-Giuliani guy, one of the original verb-noun-9/11 fear-mongering liars.

While it would be nice to see a new face, I do wish Bloomberg could be re-elected again...  

Why? The third term was a colossal disaster both for his reputation and for the city; four would only be worse.

*Shakes head.*

Is anybody surprised? Those fear-mongering liars are right at home with an ex-Giuliani guy, one of the original verb-noun-9/11 fear-mongering liars.

Why? The third term was a colossal disaster both for his reputation and for the city; four would only be worse.

But you said Lhota would make more sense than Cats. So I don't see why it comes as a big surprise.

I stand what I said before about Bloomberg being pretty good in the 1st 2 terms. I would've voted for him for his 3rd. But as long as crime is down and we aren't too heavily taxed, I think that's a win.

DeBlassio's tax and spend policy will fail like with all the other politicians across the country. There's only so much you can keep taxing till they get fed up and leave. I can understand raising the tax on the wealthy, but not that much. I believe in an across the board tax hike. Less tax hikes and cut backs on some services, that's how the budget can be balanced.

Speaking of election 2013, Straphangers Campaign released Mayoral Poll which candiates has more for subway/buses?

http://www.straphangers.org/poll/results.php

New York City will elect a new mayor in 2013. Which of the candidates do you think has done the most for city subways and buses?

http://www.straphangers.org/poll/results.php

But you said Lhota would make more sense than Cats. So I don't see why it comes as a big surprise.

I was being sarcastic, it's not a surprise at all.

I wasn't surprised, I was just posting it here. Personally, I don't like endorsements at all. I think everyone should decide for themselves who is a good candidate instead of being convinced by the media or other people. Then again, in the United States, this doesn't happen too often.

But still, I happen to like Joe Lhota, and I happen to like Bloomberg as well. This city loves him and he has ran it well, despite all the crap some other people say. He was just trying to get some more things done before his term ended, and he may not get it, but he got this city through some rough times and I support him for that. If the majority of this city didn't like him, he wouldn't have gotten his third term. If I had voted in the last mayoral election, I probably would have voted for him. Now, its time to put that in the past and pick a new candidate.

I mean, the city hates him. I don't know where you got that they liked him. His approval ratings are at record lows, the majority of people don't approve of him in office, and he's so disliked that he's actually sinking Christine Quinn's ships just because of his connection to her. I didn't even dislike him that much for the first two terms, but the third term has been a disaster for policing, education, equality, homelessness, and so much more. He should have left when he was out, instead of bending the rules and buying himself into office for another round. 

I stand what I said before about Bloomberg being pretty good in the 1st 2 terms. I would've voted for him for his 3rd. But as long as crime is down and we aren't too heavily taxed, I think that's a win.

DeBlassio's tax and spend policy will fail like with all the other politicians across the country. There's only so much you can keep taxing till they get fed up and leave. I can understand raising the tax on the wealthy, but not that much. I believe in an across the board tax hike. Less tax hikes and cut backs on some services, that's how the budget can be balanced.

His only tax increases are on the super rich, and they're extremely small. The idea that rich people leave under taxes has been proven time and time again to be a complete myth perpetuated by rich people who don't like taxes--they don't go anyway. Besides, we don't have services to cut back on in this city (it's pretty tight already, unless you wanna say goodbye to cops, firemen, teachers, or transit service), and an across the board tax hike would just hurt the middle class who have been struggling the most.

CATS has a new ad out... about my favorite group of people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFtQvf7kjU8

To an extent, I have to agree (but also disagree) with Lhota on the PAPD. When nothing is happening at the airports/PATH/wherever, they literally sit around and do nothing. And because of that, they take anything and everything as serious as a terrorist trying to get past security just so they can get some "action" and fill their quotas, I have personally been harassed and detained by them for hours on end then interrogated, searched and nearly arrested just for taking a picture with my f**king iPhone. However, when something serious happens, be it big or small, they respond and they get the job done well. I do have to say this: mall cops don't carry guns, have a SWAT team, detectives, or a jail. But, I still like Lhota here, he would get my vote and I didn't lose a bit of support for him over this. This is the Giuliani in him, remember Giuliani wanted to end the Port Authority's lease on the airports simply because they didn't want the NYPD patrolling them, he did not feel the PAPD was doing a good job keeping Port's facilities safe.

I can see Vii 4 Life voting based on personal benefits alone in the future.

Let's be real for a minute. PAPD has a long history of pulling that crap on railfans, planespotters and photographers in general at the airports, PATH, PABT, etc. And I'm sure if you dealt with that situation, you wouldn't vote for someone who supports them doing that. I know people out there don't want the next mayor to continue Stop & Frisk, and that includes many who have been stopped and frisked.

However, like I said, I like Lhota and this has nothing to do with it.

Let's be real for a minute. PAPD has a long history of pulling that crap on railfans, planespotters and photographers in general at the airports, PATH, PABT, etc. And I'm sure if you dealt with that situation, you wouldn't vote for someone who supports them doing that. I know people out there don't want the next mayor to continue Stop & Frisk, and that includes many who have been stopped and frisked.

However, like I said, I like Lhota and this has nothing to do with it.

Fair enough. I oppose the policies as well, though in my opinion that stance conflicts with other views of yours.

Oh well, to each their own.

Fair enough. I oppose the policies as well, though in my opinion that stance conflicts with other views of yours.

Oh well, to each their own.

Well it's "pick your poison", and one's worse than the other.

I wanted Romney to win the last election, I disagreed with him on plenty of things and he definitely wasn't my first choice for the Republican nomination (running a big businessman like that doesn't get votes with this generation), but it was him or Obama.

Well it's "pick your poison", and one's worse than the other.

I wanted Romney to win the last election, I disagreed with him on plenty of things and he definitely wasn't my first choice for the Republican nomination (running a big businessman like that doesn't get votes with this generation), but it was him or Obama.

All good. I'll cease the discussion as it's detracting from the main topic.

Archived