Lawmakers Push For MTA To Bring Cell Phone Service To Subways

Trainspotter

Lawmakers Push For MTA To Bring Cell Phone Service To Subways

NY1 NEWS

A group of lawmakers is pushing the MTA to speed up its plan to bring cell phone service to the subway.

[float=right]245072.jpg[/float]Congressman Anthony Weiner and City Council Member John Liu say problems like last week's subway floods illustrate the need for commuters to be able to get information underground.

"In today's world just about everyone has one of these, or one of these, but with this high technology as soon as you walk down in the subways you are completely cut off,” said Weiner. “I imagine if we had access to these devices during a flood, during a terrorism alert or if someone heaven forbid was having a stroke or a heart attack.”

"What happened this week with the meltdown of the subway system is clearly an example of how the MTA needs to do more to keep it's so-called customers connected,” said Liu.

The MTA did solicit offers from cell companies to wire the city's subway stations back in 2005, but Wiener says the MTA never followed up on the four competing offers it received.

At the time, the MTA said it was because the providers wanted to extend the service to the tunnels in addition to station platforms.

Anyone think this would be useful the next time a silly flooding issue or something worse happens to all the underground riders?

Absolutely. The ringing and the conversations might get annoying, but I'd say it's worth it.

I ride the elevated lines in the Bronx, where everyone's on their cell phone as they ride the train. I listen to my portable CD player so I don't have to be bothered by their conversations.

Anyone think this would be useful the next time a silly flooding issue or something worse happens to all the underground riders?

Yeah I agree also. There could have been much better communication between the agency and its underground riders. Heck, at least better communication with its riders and the outside world in general. It all could have made a hell of a difference during that critical time and any other crisis for that matter.

Archived