Council Speaker appeals to MTA for restoration of (7) weekend service for St. Patrick's Day 2013

realizm

The  (7) weekend GO dilemma for CBTC work during weekend holidays in the wake of Lunar New Year 2013 on the Flushing IRT. has resurfaced.

Council Speaker Quinn (D-Manhattan) along with other city officials: Councilman James Vacca (D-Bronx), Jimmy Van Bramer (D-Sunnyside) and Peter Koo (D-Flushing) are requesting that the MTA cancel the weekend GO on the (7) line for Saturday March 16th for the St Patrick's Day festivities. They have made an appeal to Tom Prendergrast, MTA head requesting the cancellation of work on the (7) for that weekend where (7) service will be cut between Queensboro Plaza and Main Street, Flushing on the El.

It was quoted in the article that Ms. Quinn produced the appeal with 1,000 New Yorker's on an online petition.

Quoted Ms. Quinn:

“Shutting down the 7 train on yet another holiday weekend will not only harm business owners in Queens and Manhattan. It will also create and unnecessary hurdle for Queens residents planning to attend the St. Patrick’s Day parade and celebrate their Irish heritage."

A similar argument for restoration of weekend service was made for Lunar New Year 2013 by officials including Mr. Peter Koo. 

http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2013/11/stpatstransit_web_2013_03_11_q.html

Quinn asks MTA to restore No. 7 service for St. Patrick’s Day Parade
7trainmeet_ft_2012_12_20_q_filesantucci_
Photo by Christina Santucci
Several city officials are calling for service on the No. 7 to be reinstated for the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Manhattan.
By Philip Newman

City Council Speaker Christine Quinn (D-Manhattan) and other city officials have appealed to transit officials to reinstate service on the No. 7 subway line for the Manhattan St. Patrick’s Day Parade on Saturday, March 16.

“While we appreciate the effort being made to improve the 7 trains, the MTA’s decision to close this vital lifeline for 13 consecutive weekends for repairs has been a terrible burden on residents and businesses particularly in Queens,” the officials said.

The lack of service caused tremendous hardship and frustration on the Lunar New Year and we don’t want to see that happen again when the city hosts the 251st St. Patrick’s Day Parade – one of New York’s oldest and most celebrated cultural events – on March 16th,” Quinn said in a letter to the MTA.

Others who signed on to the appeal were Councilman James Vacca (D-Bronx), chairman of the Council’s Transportation Committee, and fellow Council members Jimmy Van Bramer (D-Sunnyside) and Peter Koo (D-Flushing).

Koo and other elected officials from Flushing asked the MTA to restore service for Flushing Lunar New Year’s Parade earlier this year to no avail but have received a pledge that the agency will suspend repairs on the No. 7 line for next year’s Lunar New Year events.

The Quinn letter said more than 1,000 New Yorkers had signed onto an online petition demanding that the MTA reinstate weekend service on the No. 7 line.

“Shutting down the 7 train on yet another holiday weekend will not only harm business owners in Queens and Manhattan. It will also create and unnecessary hurdle for Queens residents planning to attend the St. Patrick’s Day parade and celebrate their Irish heritage.

The MTA has been cutting off service between Queensboro Plaza and Times Square for the weekend repair project.

The appeal was addressed to Thomas Prendergast, interim executive director of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

©2013 COMMUNITY NEWSPAPER GROUP

it seemed the (MTA) denied their pleased. according to weekend subway changes the (7) is still close down for CBTC work. i think these politician need to understand how hard the work is that need to be done. if they dont understand how hard the work is then why are you in the office? kick them out. 

Again, folks, the (N)(Q) transfer at Queensboro Plaza exists, take advantage of it...

Exactly or 74 street

dont forget the LIRR too

Unfortunately, the Hunters Point and the Vernon-Jackson Avenue stations. are served solely by the (7) in terms of subway service. The nearby LIRR stations Hunterspoint Avenue and Long Island City are only open on weekdays.

The Q103 is the only bus route serving that area, and along side shuttle buses, it can get packed at times.

Her only hope would be another winter storm :)

Pretty much. ;)

But in general short and sweet and straight to the point, as with the fiasco with Lunar New Year, I have the same sentiments with this one concerning St. Patrick's Day -- Cut the GO and give the St Patrick's day celebrators a break already!! They already screwed  Lunar New Year observers as it is.

Yes OK, transfer at QBP from the (N) etc etc, besides the point, as I was saying in the Lunar New Year Thread, again public relations issues here, something the MTA Capital Construction Committee doesn't seem to get....

I understand that they are racing to get the preliminary CBTC work done before the baseball season. But still....

My two cents.

Her only hope would be another winter storm :)

Actually the weather for Saturday in Central Park is cloudy chance of rain/snow showers and temps around 40 degrees.

And I agree with realism as a compromise could been done. This week with St Patty's day and also for Lunar New Year although Overnight (7) riders would be ticked off, the CBTC work could been switched to the wee hours of Monday-Thursday Night as well. Basically make it a "fast track" for this line during these key minor holiday weekends.

Unfortunately, the Hunters Point and the Vernon-Jackson Avenue stations. are served solely by the (7) in terms of subway service. The nearby LIRR stations Hunterspoint Avenue and Long Island City are only open on weekdays.

The Q103 is the only bus route serving that area, and along side shuttle buses, it can get packed at times.

The (E) is not that far of a walk away.

Just to add, if they actually did suspend the GO on St. Patrick's Day but not on Lunar New Year, at least one politician would go on the record and say that it smacked of racism (i.e. suspend for the Irish, but not for the Asians).

That would probably end up being a worse PR issue than the GO itself.

Just to add, if they actually did suspend the GO on St. Patrick's Day but not on Lunar New Year, at least one politician would go on the record and say that it smacked of racism (i.e. suspend for the Irish, but not for the Asians).

That would probably end up being a worse PR issue than the GO itself.

i agree with you on that as well. if they screw up on that then they need to screw up on everything else. Even in press release saying that next year they will make sure it on the calendar. 

So in other words, you guys are suggesting that the way in which MTA is dealing with these cultural holidays during scheduled GO's in effect setting a double standard. (Which may be actually in a way reverse racism related as highlighted) Also the fact that they better follow through next year and take the concerns of the community leaders, merchant associations and council leaders. 

This situation did happen before and the MTA as usual ignored the concerns of the merchant associations along Jamaica ave but over a different reason. Remember reading in your history books the closure and later demolition of the Jamaica El, first with 168 St,160th St, and Suphin Blvd in 1977 with the then ( QJ ) and ( JJ ) (which was renamed later on the now current (J) as today), then the closure of Queens Blvd and Metropolitan Ave in 1985? 

The body of the MTA which handled construction project planning planning (Before the reorganization of the of the structure of the public benefits corporation leading to the creation Capital Construction Program Committee was established as today) ignored the outcries of the merchants who argued that the closure of all these stations for 20 years in change practically without an opening of the Archer Ave line until 1988 which will will kill business and shut them down (Some argued for the closure and demolition of that portion of the El actually can't understand the reason behind that really...). Well that was exactly what happened regardless. However ironically as a result the Jamaica Ave  business district between 165 St St and Suphin Blvd practically was redeveloped to the way it is now and actually booming without a el before the new subway via Archer was even opened for revenue service!

So it seems this disregarding of the voicing out of the merchant association and really the general public on certain public relation issues was a problem and as a pattern, a practice of the MTA ever since it's interception in 1965 according to the history books. Creating again, double standards, claiming to fill the needs in the public but on the flip side ignoring their outcries and appeals on service and construction.

So this is nothing new with the MTA heads and their double standards.

The body of the MTA which handled construction project planning planning (Before the reorganization of the of the structure of the public benefits corporation leading to the creation Capital Construction Program Committee was established as today) ignored the outcries of the merchants who argued that the closure of all these stations for 20 years in change practically without an opening of the Archer Ave line until 1988 which will will kill business and shut them down. Well that was exactly what happened. However ironically as a result the Jamaica Ave  business district between 165 St St and Suphin Blvd practically was redeveloped to the way it is now and actually booming without a el before the new subway via Archer was even opened for revenue service!

This is incorrect. The MTA was actually opposed to shutting down the El north of 121, but did so because of pressure from the residents and politicos.

"On September 10th, 1977, the Jamaica Elevated was permanently closed

between Queens Blvd and 168th Street. The last revenue train left 168th

Street at 12 midnight. Oddly, it was the politicians and the businesses

in the area that wanted the El closed before the Archer Avenue subway

would open. The TA really wasn't interested in tearing it down. In fact,

on September 20th, the TA ordered demolition of the structure to stop

and they wanted to determine the cost of restoring the service. The

moratorium didn't last long, for demolition was resumed in October.

Ironically, Macy's announced the impending closure of their Jamaica

store shortly after El service ended."

http://nycsubway.org/wiki/The_New_York_Transit_Authority_in_the_1970s

This is incorrect. The MTA was actually opposed to shutting down the El north of 121, but did so because of pressure from the residents and politicos.

"On September 10th, 1977, the Jamaica Elevated was permanently closed

between Queens Blvd and 168th Street. The last revenue train left 168th

Street at 12 midnight. Oddly, it was the politicians and the businesses

in the area that wanted the El closed before the Archer Avenue subway

would open. The TA really wasn't interested in tearing it down. In fact,

on September 20th, the TA ordered demolition of the structure to stop

and they wanted to determine the cost of restoring the service. The

moratorium didn't last long, for demolition was resumed in October.

Ironically, Macy's announced the impending closure of their Jamaica

store shortly after El service ended."

http://nycsubway.org/wiki/The_New_York_Transit_Authority_in_the_1970s

I corrected the previous post only in 2 minutes before you posted in parenthesis when I saw the mistake to reflect this fact. We simuntaneously posted as with mine it was a repost with the edit for the record.

The body of the MTA which handled construction project planning planning (Before the reorganization of the of the structure of the public benefits corporation leading to the creation Capital Construction Program Committee was established as today) ignored the outcries of the merchants who argued that the closure of all these stations for 20 years in change practically without an opening of the Archer Ave line until 1988 which will will kill business and shut them down (Some argued for the closure and demolition of that portion of the El actually can't understand the reason behind that really...)

Edited by realizm, Today, 09:01 AM.

But thank you for highlighting that regardless. 

Ugh, I guess these people aren't aware of the CityTicket option...they can travel within the NYC limits LIRR and Metro-North runs through for a mere $4 on weekends. In cases like this, go to Woodside and take LIRR, not to mention how quick their ride will be and not even having to worry about transferring between bus, subway and even another subway line.

I can just tell that Quinn only did this to try to score points with the parade organizers, where she is persona non grata.

Exactly.

Ms. Quinn boycotted the Staten Island St. Patrick's Day parade (3/7/2011) because organizers refused to allow persons living alternative lifestyles to express their gay pride at the event, remember how that made the news? So why the complete turnaround for this year all of a sudden with this appeal? Not speaking for the LGBT community but I'm sure many from the gay, lesbian and transgender community must be calling her a sellout and a hypocrite I imagine for the sake of gaining supporters for the mayoral race. 

On top of that ppl like us in general calling her out for scoring gravy points and saving face for the sake gaining support for the mayoral race. She's pulling the same exact same hypocritical shit with the illegal immigration deportation issue. She was initially speaking for deportation of illegal immigrants but now all of a sudden out of the blue she made a complete turnaround in denouncing it accordance with President Obama's policies on this issue. Making false promises I imagine for obvious reasons.

Exactly.

Ms. Quinn boycotted the Staten Island St. Patrick's Day parade (3/7/2011) because organizers refused to allow persons living alternative lifestyles to express their gay pride at the event, remember how that made the news? So why the complete turnaround for this year all of a sudden with this appeal? Not speaking for the LGBT community but I'm sure many from the gay, lesbian and transgender community must be calling her a sellout and a hypocrite I imagine for the sake of gaining supporters for the mayoral race. 

On top of that ppl like us in general calling her out for scoring gravy points and saving face for the sake gaining support for the mayoral race. She's pulling the same exact same hypocritical shit with the illegal immigration deportation issue. She was initially speaking against it but now all of a sudden out of the blue she made a complete turnaround in support for it. Making false promises I imagine for obvious reasons.

Not to get off topic here but IMO she maybe the front runner but actions like those above may cost her in general election to someone like Lhota. What underestimate about NYC is there are more moderate/consertative voters than the mainstream reports on. Thus those voters are the reason Bloomberg and Rudy have been Mayor for almost 20 years.

Back to topic. A compromise could been made where this weekend (st patty's) and Lunar could have full service in exchange for moving the work to Monday-Friday overnights. And since the Mets will be a lousy team this year even during a Met game lol. B-)

Not to get off topic here but IMO she maybe the front runner but actions like those above may cost her in general election to someone like Lhota. What underestimate about NYC is there are more moderate/consertative voters than the mainstream reports on. Thus those voters are the reason Bloomberg and Rudy have been Mayor for almost 20 years.

Back to topic. A compromise could been made where this weekend (st patty's) and Lunar could have full service in exchange for moving the work to Monday-Friday overnights. And since the Mets will be a lousy team this year even during a Met game lol. B-)

For the record sir it's on topic because of what I just mentioned.

She boycotted the 2011 St Patrick's Day and now all of a sudden for St. Patrick's Day 2013 she's making an appeal to the MTA for the cancelling of the soon to be past weekend GO on the (7)solely to save face for her supporters and that's it?  Reading the article I linked in my previous post proves she has a hidden agenda in making the appeal letter to the MTA Chairperson. Politics as usual.

In itself with the MTA working out a compromise to the Irish American community (and the Asian American community) on this issue concerning cancelling weekend GO work during Lunar New Year and now St Patrick's Day is a good thing. I support it 100%, but with Christine Quinn's record with her Jekyll and Hyde-like type tactics it makes one wonder if she can really be trusted ..... I think you are correct on this, it's going to make her lose out against Lhota in the long run. She's really already shot herself in the foot with her past record.

Ugh, I guess these people aren't aware of the CityTicket option...they can travel within the NYC limits LIRR and Metro-North runs through for a mere $4 on weekends. In cases like this, go to Woodside and take LIRR, not to mention how quick their ride will be and not even having to worry about transferring between bus, subway and even another subway line.

Most people in Queens don't know that CityTicket exists (and I might be cynical, but either LIRR isn't promoting it due to laziness, or because they'd prefer to keep the status quo of CityTicket knowledge.) Think about it - when was the last time you saw an ad or a news article on CityTicket?

If they think these closures are bad, wait until they start to implement CBTC on the trunk lines. The grief from those complainers will be unbearable.

It'll be interesting to see the substitutions involved for Queens Blvd CBTC - assuming they're putting CBTC on all four tracks (so that (R) and (M) trains aren't completely screwed over during service disruptions involving switching to the express tracks), they're going to have to create either the mother of all shuttle buses, or cross-honor on the LIRR, neither of which has happened on a regular, scheduled basis.

Exactly.

On top of that ppl like us in general calling her out for scoring gravy points and saving face for the sake gaining support for the mayoral race. She's pulling the same exact same hypocritical shit with the illegal immigration deportation issue. She was initially speaking for deportation of illegal immigrants but now all of a sudden out of the blue she made a complete turnaround in denouncing it accordance with President Obama's policies on this issue. Making false promises I imagine for obvious reasons.

why to gays feel the need to tell everybody about what they do behind closed doors?

Archived