Council Speaker appeals to MTA for restoration of (7) weekend service for St. Patrick's Day 2013

realizm

For the record sir it's on topic because of what I just mentioned.

She boycotted the 2011 St Patrick's Day and now all of a sudden for St. Patrick's Day 2013 she's making an appeal to the MTA for the cancelling of the soon to be past weekend GO on the (7)solely to save face for her supporters and that's it?  Reading the article I linked in my previous post proves she has a hidden agenda in making the appeal letter to the MTA Chairperson. Politics as usual.

In itself with the MTA working out a compromise to the Irish American community (and the Asian American community) on this issue concerning cancelling weekend GO work during Lunar New Year and now St Patrick's Day is a good thing. I support it 100%, but with Christine Quinn's record with her Jekyll and Hyde-like type tactics it makes one wonder if she can really be trusted ..... I think you are correct on this, it's going to make her lose out against Lhota in the long run. She's really already shot herself in the foot with her past record.

What I don't get is that while Quinn supports cancelling (7) work on the weekend in which the Manhattan St. Patrick's Day Parade (which bars LGBT's from marching), why doesn't she do the same on the weekend of Queens's St. Pat's For All Parade in Sunnyside?

why to gays feel the need to tell everybody about what they do behind closed doors?

I'm not part of that community - but I think it's a reaction to the secrecy that was more or less forced on the LBGT community in years gone by for fear of persecution. It's not that they want everyone to know what they do in their bedroom - it's that they don't want to have to live their lifestyle in secret. Think less about sexual preference and more about relationship preference. It's not as if everyone wearing a wedding ring is attempting to announce to everyone "look at me I have sex with my spouse!". 

The whole thing with St. Patricks day is a sticky issue because it's ultimately a religious holiday, and the traditional teachings of that religion say that this lifestyle is a sin. Now I don't agree with the outlook that those ways are sinful, but I also believe that people should be able to worship the way they choose (Yanno, it is a founding tenet of this country and all...) So how do you balance allowing the traditional views of this religion but not have it cross the line into oppression? To be honest - I have no idea.

It'll be interesting to see the substitutions involved for Queens Blvd CBTC - assuming they're putting CBTC on all four tracks (so that (R) and (M) trains aren't completely screwed over during service disruptions involving switching to the express tracks), they're going to have to create either the mother of all shuttle buses, or cross-honor on the LIRR, neither of which has happened on a regular, scheduled basis.

They'll probably install it on the express tracks first, on weekends, and they can just run E F and R over local.

There's plenty of capacity for that. F and R are both running at 6tph all weekend. E varies but I don't think runs higher than 8tph. So you're talking about 20tph, which is what currently runs on the local tracks during rush hours anyway. For the tubes, you can do them in segments. The R can run over 63rd when its time to do 60th, and N riders can connect with the 7 at QBP. The F can run over 53rd, and if you only do this one tube at a time you can continue serving 21st st and Roosevelt Island. The E can run over 63rd, of course that means its running via 6th av until w4 - so this would have to be one tube at a time as well. When it comes time to do the local tracks - they can just run all service in one direction express for a few weekends. It sucks, and they're doing it right now, but it works.

Long story short - it's possible to do this without ever fully shutting the line. If they basically do the install one track at a time, it won't cause a huge problem. Unlike the 7 and the L, the line connects to multiple tubes, and has bidirectional express tracks.

Most people in Queens don't know that CityTicket exists (and I might be cynical, but either LIRR isn't promoting it due to laziness, or because they'd prefer to keep the status quo of CityTicket knowledge.) Think about it - when was the last time you saw an ad or a news article on CityTicket?

It'll be interesting to see the substitutions involved for Queens Blvd CBTC - assuming they're putting CBTC on all four tracks (so that (R) and (M) trains aren't completely screwed over during service disruptions involving switching to the express tracks), they're going to have to create either the mother of all shuttle buses, or cross-honor on the LIRR, neither of which has happened on a regular, scheduled basis.

greed must be a factor for lack of marketing of cityticket.

Archived