Say goodbye to more R40s

Harry

Well, they were good cars and served their city well, but unfortunately, they must, as with all subway cars, be retired. From a different perspective, I guess it's for the better, seeing as when (well, if) I'm a conductor I won't have to deal with as many more half-cabs.

• 2 months later...

Yea the last remaining sets aren't going to go anywhere till next year, but the R32's are! Surprising development needless to say. I might just ride the B from 2008 to 2009 this december unless they have the slants parked at nite.

- A

Yea the last remaining sets aren't going to go anywhere till next year, but the R32's are! Surprising development needless to say. I might just ride the B from 2008 to 2009 this december unless they have the slants parked at nite.

- A

The R32s need to go NOW. As for the slants, I'm saddened by this. I agree they are in bad shape, but such a popular and unique design should be replaced, not just scrapped. Making the R179 a slant design would be a nice homage.

The R32s need to go NOW. As for the slants, I'm saddened by this. I agree they are in bad shape, but such a popular and unique design should be replaced, not just scrapped. Making the R179 a slant design would be a nice homage.

What??? You are CRAZY man. The R32s are in great shape compared to the current cars being scraped.

Yep, those 32's aint going anywhere yet. There are not like the R40 slants, they are in poor condition and need to go.

hate to be the one ta bring the bad news but them brightliners is goin in the ocean sooner than that if RTO sticks to what it said...

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5654

and the slants that are left are in decent (not great shape), theyll outlive the R32's thats for sure...

hate to be the one ta bring the bad news but them brightliners is goin in the ocean sooner than that if RTO sticks to what it said...

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5654

and the slants that are left are in decent (not great shape), theyll outlive the R32's thats for sure...

Yea, i've ridden 3 of the remaining slant sets, they are not EOL condition yet but not far off (8 months or so).

The R32's however are a totally different story. They are just not in good shape. Every one i ride has some kinda problem that is EOL related that they don't fix before they take them out of service for good. They don't have as many left as might think either. They have been putting remaining R38 and R42 in to fill the gap. After the R32 and R38 are gone the slants will go next followed by the R42.

R44 scrapping will begin in earnest once the next NTT orders start being delivered, including the ones on SIRT.

Basically everything got delayed and slants will stay on a lil longer while R32 are trimmed for more NTT fleet space.

- A

What??? You are CRAZY man. The R32s are in great shape compared to the current cars being scraped.

They are in extremely great shape structurally, but in a mechanical POV they are a POS. Most of it is Jamaica's fault.

The R32 are being scarapped also. R32 are in great shape but they will still retire in the summer of 2009.

Yep, those 32's aint going anywhere yet. There are not like the R40 slants, they are in poor condition and need to go.

The R32 will still retire in the summer of 2009 and the R40 slant is not in poor condition.

Yea, i've ridden 3 of the remaining slant sets, they are not EOL condition yet but not far off (8 months or so).

The R32's however are a totally different story. They are just not in good shape. Every one i ride has some kinda problem that is EOL related that they don't fix before they take them out of service for good. They don't have as many left as might think either. They have been putting remaining R38 and R42 in to fill the gap. After the R32 and R38 are gone the slants will go next followed by the R42.

R44 scrapping will begin in earnest once the next NTT orders start being delivered, including the ones on SIRT.

Basically everything got delayed and slants will stay on a lil longer while R32 are trimmed for more NTT fleet space.

- A

The 32s and 38s are in TERRIBLE shape. They might be great stripped down to flat cars for maintenance and trash collection, but not for passenger service. The 40s are in considerably better shape, but are in dire need of refurbishment, and that's just not going to happen. Some cars are even approaching the state of the 32s in regards to interior conditions. Again, I'd rather have a new slant design replace them, but without a considerable refit, they need to be taken out of revenue.

However, having 40s scrapped before 32s and 34s is incomprehensible. I'm really dreading when the 44s and 46s are reefed years from now. In some ways, I prefer those over the 142/143/160s.

so whats conformed here? are the slants going to go this year or next year? what about the r32? this year or next? My personal opinion the Slants are in better shape than the r32's, the slants offer a much smoother ride. Mchanically I do not know, but I hope both trains will be in service when I return to NYC later this month.

R40 slant & R32 out of service if not reefed/scrapped by probably july 2009. R40M will go when the R42's go. The other cars still have a few years left in them.

The remaining slants are the youngest pairs in the best shape out of all of that batch. About half the remaining slants are R40a, part of the order that got the last bunch made into the R40M. Only way to tell the R40 & R40a apart is the placing of the poles. R40a has them straight down the middle, R40 has them offset.

I talked to (MTA) employee (senior T/O) on the train a few weeks ago that told me the planned retirement phases. He also told me to expect the slants to be moved to a different yard in 2-3 months and off of the (B). He said it wasnt impossible for them to be put on the (E) for peak hour service only. I've seen this guy on the train for a while so i trust his comments but knowing (MTA) they could change those plans at any time.

- A

R40 slant & R32 out of service if not reefed/scrapped by probably july 2009. R40M will go when the R42's go. The other cars still have a few years left in them.

The remaining slants are the youngest pairs in the best shape out of all of that batch. About half the remaining slants are R40a, part of the order that got the last bunch made into the R40M. Only way to tell the R40 & R40a apart is the placing of the poles. R40a has them straight down the middle, R40 has them offset.

I talked to (MTA) employee (senior T/O) on the train a few weeks ago that told me the planned retirement phases. He also told me to expect the slants to be moved to a different yard in 2-3 months and off of the (B). He said it wasnt impossible for them to be put on the (E) for peak hour service only. I've seen this guy on the train for a while so i trust his comments but knowing (MTA) they could change those plans at any time.

- A

Slants on the (E)?

Something to look out for.

WHAT!!!,what are ya talking about,the R40 slants couldent be in more duct tape,theyre way too loud,when the train is curving,it is soo loud that the train sounds like its breaking down,the A/C is not working, what more can you ask about the slants?. Out of the R32's ive ridden, there wasnt one problem. The R32's can beat the slants all day.

Archived