Say goodbye to more R40s

Harry

WHAT!!!,what are ya talking about,the R40 slants couldent be in more duct tape,theyre way too loud,when the train is curving,it is soo loud that the train sounds like its breaking down,the A/C is not working, what more can you ask about the slants?. Out of the R32's ive ridden, there wasnt one problem. The R32's can beat the slants all day.

You mustn't have ridden that many 32s then. On the whole, they are in worse shape than the R40s. The R40s aren't in that great shape either, but on the whole...

For example, I was on an (G) R46 about a week ago, and there was a hole in one of the seats that looked OLD. That was worse than some 32s and 40s, but most 46s are in way better shape.

WHAT!!!,what are ya talking about,the R40 slants couldent be in more duct tape,theyre way too loud,when the train is curving,it is soo loud that the train sounds like its breaking down,the A/C is not working, what more can you ask about the slants?. Out of the R32's ive ridden, there wasnt one problem. The R32's can beat the slants all day.

Tell ya what. Here's how you can see the shape the R32's are in. Go stand at the RFW of both an R32 and a slant on the same day. Listen to the T/O as he operates his route and PAY ATTENTION as he pulls into the station...feel the braking effort on the slant grab quick and strong as he stops quickly and efficiently, fairly well. Now feel the braking effort and the slide on the wheels on the R32 as the train drags and fights the brake cylinders, and the T/O has to adjust the braking effort several times to stop the train jerking you back and forth. Then listen to how carefully he releases the brakes on the R32 when he's ready to leave the station, because the shoes are still trying to stick to the wheels. And then check out the doors. A good number of R32 doors are cut out, and face it they aren't going to fix what's wrong with the door motors in many cases. That's just to start.

The cars would be in better shape if they were being maintained, but they simply aren't. Their time has come. Change is part of life and though you remember these cars since forever, they will go and be replaced by something else, and that's all there is to it.

Yeah, they will get replaced,but replaced by crappy trains. The R160's are messed up already,and they just started coming.Yes,the R32's may be old, but at least they are not compromising the safety of the people who ride it. In other words, at least theyre not hurting people. As long as the train gets you to where you want to go,thats all that matters. Same goes to any train like an R40.

Yeah, they will get replaced,but replaced by crappy trains. The R160's are messed up already,and they just started coming.Yes,the R32's may be old, but at least they are not compromising the safety of the people who ride it. In other words, at least theyre not hurting people. As long as the train gets you to where you want to go,thats all that matters. Same goes to any train like an R40.

You must be kidding. That's exactly what the 32s ARE doing. They (and the 38s) are the most hazardous cars in the system. How are the R160s messed up in comparison to the 32s? :confused:

What? The FINDS get frozen, half a door opens, they are somewhat messed up, but not in ways that the train will stop functioning. The R32's may be messep up, but they have lasted more than the R160's. The R160's came and already they have problems, the R32's have lasted for a very long time. THE R32'S ARE MORE RELIABLE THAN AN R160.

What? The FINDS get frozen, half a door opens, they are somewhat messed up, but not in ways that the train will stop functioning. The R32's may be messep up, but they have lasted more than the R160's. The R160's came and already they have problems, the R32's have lasted for a very long time. THE R32'S ARE MORE RELIABLE THAN AN R160.

They were, they had their days... but the condition they are in, is sadly, horrendous. Their aluminium bodies are robust, but the mechanical factors are just getting old.

Not trying to foam, but I'd tell you this, every set of rolling stock has its own history of "things messed up". For example: the 44s and 46s had cracking trucks and were deemed as lemons. The slants needed the end gates for "protection", Bombardier made a mess with the 142s (I forgot what it was exactly, but Bombardier had problems with the Acela trains, the R142s and the Airtrain JFK) and we all know the FIND thing with the R160s.

NTT are good when under warrently, but when that warrently ends these things go down the drain. The R142As and R143s are in terriable shape. As for which is more reilable the RUBUST BUDD R32's or the kawasaki chitbox R160, it depends on the sitation(Like weather contidions) From what i read and heard, the older equipment operates better in the rain and wet leave condtions, while the NTT operates better every other time(Well the R160 at least don't know about the others). But im pretty sure the 160 has a higher MDBF than the 32's if it doesn't then thats pretty sad.

They were, they had their days... but the condition they are in, is sadly, horrendous. Their aluminium bodies are robust, but the mechanical factors are just getting old.

Not trying to foam, but I'd tell you this, every set of rolling stock has its own history of "things messed up". For example: the 44s and 46s had cracking trucks and were deemed as lemons. The slants needed the end gates for "protection", Bombardier made a mess with the 142s (I forgot what it was exactly, but Bombardier had problems with the Acela trains, the R142s and the Airtrain JFK) and we all know the FIND thing with the R160s.

The bombarider R142's had brake issues causing a car shortage from late 2006 to early this year. And the M7's had their fall of DOOM in 2006 with 188 cars OOS due to wet leaves causing flat wheels and damaging thier trucks. IIRC the R38's never had a history of "things messed up".

The bombarider R142's had brake issues causing a car shortage from late 2006 to early this year. And the M7's had their fall of DOOM in 2006 with 188 cars OOS due to wet leaves causing flat wheels and damaging thier trucks. IIRC the R38's never had a history of "things messed up".

That is true... the only things that went awry were minor accidents. Nothing horrible compared to the brake issues on teh 142.

M7 <-- That sucked.

Exactly...most cars have had a history of problems. R16's were lemons and the GE units could cause fires when debris got caught in their cooling grids. By the end of their lives the redbirds were a mess of rusting carbon steel (since they weren't stainless) and then plus you had trainline indication circuit issues on some of the cars that was causing people to get dragged. R46's had cracking rockwell trucks, slants had the dangerous end carbody design at the "A" ends, R44's had all sorts of electrical issues particularly with the P-wire, and heck even the R62A's had their share of problems coming in, but yet they're some of the most reliable cars in the system now. So these problems can be worked out, a FIND isn't a big issue, it's nothing like the old days of motor problems, fires, etc. The leaking gearbox problem on the Siemens R160B's has been fixed, and the R142 brake issues had to do with the truck design.

However, the oldest SMEEs are in bad shape, partly because of their age partly because of a history of poor maintenance - remember these ran in the 70's and 80's and weren't taken care of at all, so while it's nice to ride them their days as a staple of NYCT are drawing to a close, hey if you miss them that much, then just be sure to come along for the Nostalgia Trains when they happen since a pair of each will be saved.

However, the oldest SMEEs are in bad shape, partly because of their age partly because of a history of poor maintenance - remember these ran in the 70's and 80's and weren't taken care of at all, so while it's nice to ride them their days as a staple of NYCT are drawing to a close,

Yep. It's easy to ignore their shape from a passenger (especially railfan) perspective, but from what I've heard of what the crews have to put up with on those cars, I'm glad to hear they're getting new trains. The drafts, water leaking in the cabs (with electrical components all over the place), door trouble with some, and I'm sure there's even more issues which they won't have to face with the NTTs....other than resetting the FIND. :)

I'm sure they're all in much better shape than almost anything was in the 70s and 80s, but rusted roofs, "duck tape looking" adhesive, vandalized windows, and all that screeching doesn't make a good impression on customers today. I remember someone saying how R-38 <A> trains on the AM rush out of Rockaway Pk are sometimes passed up for the following R-44.

I should add, I guess that isn't saying much since I've heard from an A Division T/O that there are some 'number-line' riders that won't get on anything but an R-142 (142A). :D But we already know that. B)

Slippery rail will cause some to FAIL! ;):cool::D

You know each fail, i mean fall causes slippery rail conditions that make traveling on teh rails a potential fail..B):cool:

4876-crash.jpg

train_wreck_at_montparnasse_1895_small.jpg

071203_train_crash.jpg

Ok, i'll stop now!:)

- A

Sad, it sounds like they have hands, and holding them selfs to live long B)

Well what comes, must go..

What they should do is have em on the PATH, and retire the PA4s :D

nice shots BTW, i gotta check them out this weekz

Archived