MTA BusTime Discussion

User

Um, not all X17s run out Charleston buddy. I've seen plenty of X17s that were Prevosts out of Yukon... :( You can never go by what some route sheet tells you when it comes to Staten Island. I've even seen X17s out of Meredith. In fact an X10 was out of Meredith this morning and that is supposed to be out of Castleton. If they need someone to cover a run, they'll ask over the radio and whoever is available will do the run, regardless of the depot. At least it works this way on Staten Island. I ride various express buses on the island, so I've seen a bit of everything. :cool:

I know the X10 has trippers out of Meredith during the AM rush now as the X17 used to before it went to Charleston. I've seen it too and the roster reflects that. If I am wrong, my mistake about that.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know the X10 has trippers out of Meredith during the AM rush now as the X17 used to before it went to Charleston. If I am wrong, my mistake about that.

You're not wrong. The X17 should be out of Charleston, but sometimes the amount of the X17s that you may see out of Yukon would make you wonder.

----

[uPDATE]

I'm not sure if this means all of the remaining new fleet on Staten Island or not, but (MTA) Bus Time Team replied to my e-mail about 7081 saying the following:

"As you correctly identified, 7081 is one of our new buses that recently joined the fleet. The installation of the MTA Bus Time on-board hardware has been scheduled to be completed by the end of this week."

As for the scrollbar, I really hope they add it so that I can use it when using my Thunderbolt. I think they're going to encourage me to use the "mobile" version which is such an inconvenience. :(

Just thought I'd leave an update that the Xcelsiors are now on bustime! And they are currently running on every castleton line today. They're great replacements for the hybrids that left.

Well yeah... They did tell me that they were working on installing the equipment on the newer buses and mentioned Friday as the day, so they kept to their word. :cool:

• 1 month later...
Guest Lance

I don't know if this was posted already, but I'm covering my bases if it wasn't.

Brooklyn Bus Line To Get GPS Technology

Catching the bus will soon be a lot easier for riders traveling between Downtown Brooklyn and Windsor Terrace, as the MTA says it will install GPS technology on the B61 line by June.

The innovation allows commuters to check the Internet to find out where the next bus is and when it will arrive.

The BusTime System is already installed on the B63 line and on some Staten Island lines and this weekend it began running in Manhattan on the 34th Street crosstown bus.

Courtesy: NY1

Any word on if they're making earlier than expected progress for the Bronx and Riverdale? lol The express buses are prompt, but man if I ever needed to take the Bx10 or Bx7.... I'd be sh*t out of luck. Both lines run like crap... All bunched and packed up. Really pathetic. Doesn't matter what time of the day it is, they always come in twos, esp. the Bx10. The Bx7 I've noticed is also pretty erratic. Oh and I don't see how the Bx10 is such a "long route"? Seems like it just meanders in the Bronx if anything, and unnecessarily at that otherwise there wouldn't be so many Bx10 shuttles to 231st & Broadway.

Guest Lance

I'm pretty sure the timetable for the Bronx rollout is pretty much the same as before. The only reason the B61 is getting BusTime is because Smith-9 Sts will take longer to reopen than previously anticipated.

I'm pretty sure the timetable for the Bronx rollout is pretty much the same as before. The only reason the B61 is getting BusTime is because Smith-9 Sts will take longer to reopen than previously anticipated.

I see... My other question is how will detours work once Bus Time is rolled out to Riverdale and the rest of the Bronx? This week is probably the first time since I moved to Riverdale that we've actually taken the same route (and the correct route by the way) when traveling on the expressway. Seems like drivers are free to take the route that they want (which is esp. true if a veteran is driving), but with Bus Time on Staten Island, drivers were very adamant about not being allowed to detour unless they were given permission directly from dispatch.

Well, the Riverdale Xpress routes that have two highways running parralell to eachother, so that allows for a quick route change. The SI Xpresses don't so detouring is really not an option.

Yeah well even so, if the SI expresses can't go via Brooklyn, then they just go via NJ and vice versa. Actually there are more options than you realize. And don't think it's that easy just because the Harlem River Drive and Major Deegan are across from each other. Sometimes even those don't work.

Yeah well even so, if the SI expresses can't go via Brooklyn, then they just go via NJ and vice versa. Actually there are more options than you realize. And don't think it's that easy just because the Harlem River Drive and Major Deegan are across from each other. Sometimes even those don't work.

I never said it was easy. And what youre saying is, if a buses regular route heads towards the VNB, they'd make a U-Turn to go to NJ?

I never said it was easy. And what youre saying is, if a buses regular route heads towards the VNB, they'd make a U-Turn to go to NJ?

Yep... That's exactly what the X1 and X10 do every year when they have the 5 borough marathon that starts on the Verrazano... Takes forever going via NJ since they have to get to the Holland Tunnel. <_<

Um, last I checked the BusTime site EVERY bus on the B63 was an O7.

EDIT: Currently every bus on the B63 is a 75xx O7.

That's because only the O7's have the GPS's installed. Does not mean there is no other model on the line.

The SI BusTime is growing worse and worse with more and more buses not showing up (or service is terrible).

And that's exactly why I don't even bother with it (that, and I don't have a SmartPhone or anything, but even if I have access to a computer,I don't even bother)

That's because only the O7's have the GPS's installed. Does not mean there is no other model on the line.

Exactly, I saw a C40LF on the B63 a couple days ago, they just don't show up on the map (which is a pain, but better than no bus).

As for the B61 using those O7s, I doubt it, I think they'll just install GPS on more JG buses because it's not like they can just borrow 7560-7589. Those buses are needed for the B63. That said, the GPS will most likely be installed on one of the newer fleets (new C40LFs, O7s) since the 1998-2000 are leaving fast.

Any word on if they're making earlier than expected progress for the Bronx and Riverdale? lol The express buses are prompt, but man if I ever needed to take the Bx10 or Bx7.... I'd be sh*t out of luck. Both lines run like crap... All bunched and packed up. Really pathetic. Doesn't matter what time of the day it is, they always come in twos, esp. the Bx10. The Bx7 I've noticed is also pretty erratic. Oh and I don't see how the Bx10 is such a "long route"? Seems like it just meanders in the Bronx if anything, and unnecessarily at that otherwise there wouldn't be so many Bx10 shuttles to 231st & Broadway.

Makes me wonder if the Bx7 at least could use an Artic. That bus fills up like crazy at Broadway & 231st and at 181st Street.

For BusTime in the Bronx, it suppose to be done before the Summer.

Exactly, I saw a C40LF on the B63 a couple days ago, they just don't show up on the map (which is a pain, but better than no bus).

As for the B61 using those O7s, I doubt it, I think they'll just install GPS on more JG buses because it's not like they can just borrow 7560-7589. Those buses are needed for the B63. That said, the GPS will most likely be installed on one of the newer fleets (new C40LFs, O7s) since the 1998-2000 are leaving fast.

I was about to say the same thing about the B63, the last few times I rode the line from end to end, I seen both old and new C40s along with a V CNG here and there show up on the line.

At the rate this is going, they might as well install the bustime equipment on all the JG buses and activate bustime on all the JG routes!

Archived