MTA BusTime Discussion

User

I wish they do "Next Bus Arrives in ... min instead of ....miles.

Using the data the MTA provides, it's possible to compute it in an app, by using scheduled time from recorded location until lookup location. Having it done "smartly" (taking into account other trips' delay) is also possible, but a lot more complex.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MTA bus time started early for rest of area.

Soon I was on MNRR and Q32 bus pop out when I did 5th Av/41st St.

I wish they do "Next Bus Arrives in ... min instead of ....miles.

Very hard to predict mins.How do you know a bus will stop at every stop?

So far, I haven't seen any Bees or the old D60HF on BusTime. Surprised to see nothing but Orions on the Q10.

I know for a fact the D60HF are wired for bustime, i haven't seen them on the beens or the Orion V CNG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BusTime is up in Brooklyn and Queens and damn some of the gaps between buses is crazy. A Q60 is at 109AV and Suthphin and then the one ahead of it is all the way at Grand Ave/Broadway (M)(R) station. Earlier there was no Q38 running at all except for one that was just leaving 62Dr and 108th Street.

Well, Now we'll be able to see every route in the system that have school trippers.... It's been something I was curious about for a rather long time.....

.....I wish they do "Next Bus Arrives in ... min instead of ....miles.

I'd rather it do it in miles, to be honest.... The problem I have with doing it in minutes is that it gives you false hope (this is why I don't rely on the subway countdown clocks... I go by (what I call) "headlight distance"; if I see headlights in the distance getting closer, then it's set to come soon enough (barring problems).... Otherwise, if I see a scheduled train to come in like 3-5 mins (for example), and I see no headlights in the distance, then that train AFAIC can be arriving in the next 10 mins. or w/e).....

Sure, the same thing can happen with using miles, but the mind easily processes duration over mileage, and you expect said mode to arrive in that numerical duration posted.... If not, you start to get that much more frustrated/irate......

Looked up the B44 local out of morbid curiosity, was not disappointed

b44localbustime_zps272cdb79.png

That's crazy bunching southbound. And northbound 2 buses on the whole nostrand/NY ave? That's crazy!

Usually, I don't like quoting images, but it is necessary for the reply here....

Anyway, Agreed... This only illustrates what's been going on for YEARS with the 44..... Never understood it....

SB B44 constantly bunches, whereas NB bunching is much more minimal.... In other words, I could stand at nostrand/church in a given hour period during the rush (or midday, for the matter), and I would see more buses arriving in 2's & 3's, than I would if I were to stand over at new york/nostrand....

Even with the advent of the SBS & the cutting of local service, this problem is still happening with the locals....

BusTime is up in Brooklyn and Queens and damn some of the gaps between buses is crazy. A Q60 is at 109AV and Suthphin and then the one ahead of it is all the way at Grand Ave/Broadway (M)(R) station. Earlier there was no Q38 running at all except for one that was just leaving 62Dr and 108th Street.

It deepends how early we're talking about. If we're talking like 8 AM early, that explains it.

Are you trying to illustrate that the Q72 is comparable to sunday express bus service?

Not at all...

The system has been up for a few weeks already for the dispatchers, so it should be working fine tomorrow

What's wrong with these pictures:

One bus on the entire route?

Can someone explain to me why the BXM2 uses the RFK bridge as opposed to the Willis Ave Br?

The system has been up for a few weeks already for the dispatchers, so it should be working fine tomorrow

One bus on the entire route?

Can someone explain to me why the BXM2 uses the RFK bridge as opposed to the Willis Ave Br?

Yea, in both pictures, there are suppose to be three buses on route, and in both photos, only one is shown.

In other words, thank god I don't have to guess when the Q38 is gonna come.

Are they going to have an app that has the map? The "number of stops away" page sucks

If you have an Android phone, use this app called "MTA Tracker." You can type in a route and it'll show you the bus location and every single stop it makes. It refreshes every 10 seconds (at least that's how I have it set up lol). You can type in as many lines as you want and they'll show all of them on one screen.

For an added bonus, you can also track an individual bus. You type in any random bus number and it'll show you where it is in the road. If it doesnt show up, then its either not on the road, nit in service, or in a shuttle bus

Curious: has LaGuardia had all of its RTSs parked for the weekend? I did not track a single RTS over the weekend during the several times i checked.

Saturday they ran 8944, 8956, 9009, 9051, 9139, 9201, and 9247.

Sunday they ran 8781, 9027, 9259, 9279, and 9291.

Not totally parked, but very much so given the number of the buses available for service.

On the transit side of things, there have been quite a bunch of missing buses on the site. There were a few Xcelsiors on the Q24 that wasn't picked up on BusTime. Same for a few RTSs and Hybrids on both the Q24 and the Q56 that wasn't on BusTime. When I saw the HUGE gap in service (from Lefferts to Elderts Lane), it didn't make sense until I saw 4815 (which wasn't on BusTime) pull up at Lefferts for the Q24.

I suppose they are still working out the kinks. I will say this, tracking the Q8 and Q41 has been BEAUTIFUL!

Don't give them ideas to shut it down to fix that.Lol! All the buses I saw today on the street were picked up by BUsTime.by the way between runs a bus will turn off the motor sometimes.Does this mean the bus will go offline during that time?

Archived