MTA BusTime Discussion

User

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes me wonder if the Bx7 at least could use an Artic. That bus fills up like crazy at Broadway & 231st and at 181st Street.

For BusTime in the Bronx, it suppose to be done before the Summer.

Quite frankly I don't think artics would hurt to be honest. If the buses are going to bunch the way that they do then they should. They bunch at all sorts of hours too (including relatively late at night). Last night I saw back to back Bx7s coming down 231st going to Broadway at around 22:00 as I was coming home on the BxM2. I spend a decent amount of time on Riverdale Ave running errands and they do get pretty good ridership even early in the morning. I was out early this morning around 08:15 or so and saw a few rather crowded Bx7s going to 263rd st.

The SI BusTime is growing worse and worse with more and more buses not showing up (or service is terrible).

And this is why i love the S40/46/48/53/59. Always on time and on point. At least for me anyway...

I wonder which borough will get bus time last. I hope it's not queens, the 38 stinks like hell. It bunches and is late, only C40LF will get if activated. There are more 05s on the 38 then C4OLF. I hope my neighbor doesn't scream when he only sees one bus on the entire path instead of showing 10 buses in the 38 when it comes to Queens

And this is why i love the S40/46/48/53/59. Always on time and on point. At least for me anyway...

Yeah, from my understanding, the South Shore express buses in particular have been erractic in the evening. Folks say for some reason in the evening Bus Time "suddenly" becomes funky and buses are MIA. I used to write in a lot when I lived on SI and the Bus Time team was very responsive. The problem is as usual SI folks complain and do nothing to fix the problem. The North Shore buses have been okay overall, but if no one writes in about issues that arise, Bus Time will become worse on SI, as will service.

And that's exactly why I don't even bother with it (that, and I don't have a SmartPhone or anything, but even if I have access to a computer,I don't even bother)

Folks like you are exactly why you guys get the service that you do. One minute you say Bus Time would be helpful and the next you say you wouldn't bother to use it.

The SI BusTime is growing worse and worse with more and more buses not showing up (or service is terrible).

It's a combination of the two. Which lines are you looking at to come to that conclusion though?

Folks like you are exactly why you guys get the service that you do. One minute you say Bus Time would be helpful and the next you say you wouldn't bother to use it.

Yeah, it would be helpful, but only if you have some sort of alternative, which I don't have, so why would I bother to use it? (And aside from that I can't use it for reasons I already said)

If the thing says that the next bus isn't going to come for 15 more minutes, what else can I do except wait? Maybe I could walk, but right now I'm not in any condition to walk and then run for the bus when it catches up to me. Besides, it's not like the buses deviate that much from the schedule. I more or less use the same routes LTA1992 does, and like he said, they're reasonably reliable.

Yeah, it would be helpful, but only if you have some sort of alternative, which I don't have, so why would I bother to use it? (And aside from that I can't use it for reasons I already said)

If the thing says that the next bus isn't going to come for 15 more minutes, what else can I do except wait? Maybe I could walk, but right now I'm not in any condition to walk and then run for the bus when it catches up to me. Besides, it's not like the buses deviate that much from the schedule. I more or less use the same routes LTA1992 does, and like he said, they're reasonably reliable.

Well you could've fooled me the way you've complained in the past about buses showing up early and such.

Well you could've fooled me the way you've complained in the past about buses showing up early and such.

Geez. I said reasonably reliable, not "You could set your watch to them" reliable. And for your information, 90% of the complaints were with the S46/96 in the morning, which I've learned to avoid. You could look back through all my posts or you could take my word on it.

Yeah "the way I've complained". You mean like those 5 posts about buses showing up early compared to the 20 posts about buses showing up late and crowded, out of what like 1,000 trips I've taken over the years? And most of my complaints had to do with being flagged while there was space in the back. Tell me what BusTime is going to do for that? Oh look, there's a bus coming. Yippie, I'm going to get to school on time. Oh wait, everybody's too lazy to move to the back so I'm going to have to sit there and wait for the next bus and hope it doesn't have the same problem.

Geez. I said reasonably reliable, not "You could set your watch to them" reliable. And for your information, 90% of the complaints were with the S46/96 in the morning, which I've learned to avoid. You could look back through all my posts or you could take my word on it.

Yeah "the way I've complained". You mean like those 5 posts about buses showing up early compared to the 20 posts about buses showing up late and crowded, out of what like 1,000 trips I've taken over the years? And most of my complaints had to do with being flagged while there was space in the back. Tell me what BusTime is going to do for that? Oh look, there's a bus coming. Yippie, I'm going to get to school on time. Oh wait, everybody's too lazy to move to the back so I'm going to have to sit there and wait for the next bus and hope it doesn't have the same problem.

Well make up your mind already. One minute you're talking about how useful Bus Time could've been during such and such time and now you're complaining about it not being useful. Ugh... <_<

Well make up your mind already. One minute you're talking about how useful Bus Time could've been during such and such time and now you're complaining about it not being useful. Ugh... <_<

First of all, I'm not complaining. I'm stating that it's not useful.

Second of all, I'm saying it's not useful for me. I'm not saying it's not useful for anybody else. If you have a route that runs every 30 minutes and comes 10 minutes early regularly, it's useful (but then again, if you can't make it to the bus stop before the bus comes, and you don't plan on using car service as a backup, all that you know is that you missed the bus). It's useful for you, so good for you, but it's not useful for me.

First of all, I'm not complaining. I'm stating that it's not useful.

Second of all, I'm saying it's not useful for me. I'm not saying it's not useful for anybody else. If you have a route that runs every 30 minutes and comes 10 minutes early regularly, it's useful (but then again, if you can't make it to the bus stop before the bus comes, and you don't plan on using car service as a backup, all that you know is that you missed the bus). It's useful for you, so good for you, but it's not useful for me.

Okay, good, now stick with that and stop going back and forth. <_<

Okay, good, now stick with that and stop going back and forth. <_<

I never went back and forth. From the beginning, I said I wouldn't benefit. Because I'm not going to pay for a text every single time I walk up to the bus stop (not to mention, half the time I don't even carry a cell phone on me).

I never went back and forth. From the beginning, I said I wouldn't benefit. Because I'm not going to pay for a text every single time I walk up to the bus stop (not to mention, half the time I don't even carry a cell phone on me).

You did so... I specifically recall you talking about how Bus Time would've come in handy when you were out and about one day, so you indeed are going back and forth.

You did so... I specifically recall you talking about how Bus Time would've come in handy when you were out and about one day, so you indeed are going back and forth.

It would've come in handy, but I wouldn't have used it. The only time when it truly would've come in handy is if the S44 comes and the S89 is scheduled to come 2 minutes later. For the S46/96, I eventually gave up and started walking and then seeing if the bus caught up to me (or else, yeah, it would've come in handy to know that it was coming 20 minutes late and I would've started walking). That's not worth paying for the service, though. ;)

E-N-O-U-G-H. You two sound like an old married couple. This "whateveritis" is going nowhere.

Checkmatechamp, do you ever try looking at BusTime from a computer at home before you go out? It's way easier that way.

E-N-O-U-G-H. You two sound like an old married couple. This "whateveritis" is going nowhere.

Checkmatechamp, do you ever try looking at BusTime from a computer at home before you go out? It's way easier that way.

What's the point?

When I go out in the morning, the computer isn't on. The only good it would do me is to figure out if two buses are coming together, I could figure out whether to wait for the one I prefer, but all it's going to show me is the position of the buses. So I'll know where the S44 is and where the S89 is, but I won't know whether the S89 is going fast enough to bypass the S44. And besides, there were times where I made the bus by the skin of my teeth. I wouldn't even have time to bend down and tie my shoe, let alone look at a computer screen. I'd rather take that time spent looking at the screen to actually walk/run to the bus stop.

And besides that, I live kind of far from the bus stop. I have to walk almost 2/5 of a mile (the equivalent of about 8 city blocks) to reach the bus stop, and even more if I want the S89. It's hard to judge whether I'll be able to make it to the stop before the bus does, so like I said, I'd rather spend that extra minute or whatever going to the bus stop.

Outside of home, there's really no other place where I'd have access to a computer in time to see where the bus is.

What's the point?

When I go out in the morning, the computer isn't on. The only good it would do me is to figure out if two buses are coming together, I could figure out whether to wait for the one I prefer, but all it's going to show me is the position of the buses. So I'll know where the S44 is and where the S89 is, but I won't know whether the S89 is going fast enough to bypass the S44. And besides, there were times where I made the bus by the skin of my teeth. I wouldn't even have time to bend down and tie my shoe, let alone look at a computer screen. I'd rather take that time spent looking at the screen to actually walk/run to the bus stop.

And besides that, I live kind of far from the bus stop. I have to walk almost 2/5 of a mile (the equivalent of about 8 city blocks) to reach the bus stop, and even more if I want the S89. It's hard to judge whether I'll be able to make it to the stop before the bus does, so like I said, I'd rather spend that extra minute or whatever going to the bus stop.

Outside of home, there's really no other place where I'd have access to a computer in time to see where the bus is.

Oh stop complaining. If you think your walk is bad mine would be a killer. I am about 6 blocks (all up hill) from my respective express bus stops in the morning (236th & Henry Hudson Parkway W or 239th & Henry Hudson Parkway W). If I go to the 236th street stop I have the lovely stairs waiting for me after schlepping 6 blocks up hill. <_< I'm looking forward to Bus Time coming to Riverdale just because I can time the express buses a bit better. If I don't need to go blazing up the hills it would nice to slow my pace a bit when I can.

Oh stop complaining. If you think your walk is bad mine would be a killer. I am about 6 blocks (all up hill) from my respective express bus stops in the morning (236th & Henry Hudson Parkway W or 239th & Henry Hudson Parkway W). If I go to the 236th street stop I have the lovely stairs waiting for me after schlepping 6 blocks up hill. <_< I'm looking forward to Bus Time coming to Riverdale just because I can time the express buses a bit better. If I don't need to go blazing up the hills it would nice to slow my pace a bit when I can.

Who said I was complaining? I'm stating a fact about how far I am from the bus stop and how it makes BusTime even less useful. And besides, I distinctly remember you saying how great it was that you were 4 short blocks from the bus stop and a bunch of other conveniences.

And in any case, 8 blocks is more than 6 the last I checked. Make it 10 if I want the S89 since I go to that stop unless I happen to see a local bus pulling in. If you really want to have a contest about who has a longer walk, my walk to the S46 is over 3/4 of a mile, and I do use that bus often.

Who said I was complaining? I'm stating a fact about how far I am from the bus stop and how it makes BusTime even less useful. And besides, I distinctly remember you saying how great it was that you were 4 short blocks from the bus stop and a bunch of other conveniences.

And in any case, 8 blocks is more than 6 the last I checked. Make it 10 if I want the S89 since I go to that stop unless I happen to see a local bus pulling in. If you really want to have a contest about who has a longer walk, my walk to the S46 is over 3/4 of a mile, and I do use that bus often.

Yeah it's 6 blocks MINUS the overhead pass with the stairs and such and all uphill, so I have a more difficult walk than you do.

I said you were...

Yes I know you did, but where's your proof that it was a complaint and not a simple statement?

I said

"And besides that, I live kind of far from the bus stop. I have to walk almost 2/5 of a mile (the equivalent of about 8 city blocks) to reach the bus stop, and even more if I want the S89. It's hard to judge whether I'll be able to make it to the stop before the bus does, so like I said, I'd rather spend that extra minute or whatever going to the bus stop."

I said kind of far from the bus stop. And I also explained how it affects my ability to use BusTime. That's a simple statement, not a complaint.

Yes I know you did, but where's your proof that it was a complaint and not a simple statement?

I said

"And besides that, I live kind of far from the bus stop. I have to walk almost 2/5 of a mile (the equivalent of about 8 city blocks) to reach the bus stop, and even more if I want the S89. It's hard to judge whether I'll be able to make it to the stop before the bus does, so like I said, I'd rather spend that extra minute or whatever going to the bus stop."

I said kind of far from the bus stop. And I also explained how it affects my ability to use BusTime. That's a simple statement, not a complaint.

Based on how you constantly talk about how bus stops aren't located that far for most folks, it most certainly is a complaint.

Archived