Questions about the WMATA Metro

Quill Depot

Your best bet would be at any outdoor station on the red line as all if the underground stations are extremely dim, imagine a darker version of 168th street on the (1).

lol... As if 168th could be any darker, dirtier and depressing... Well come to think of it 181st is a close second.  :lol:

I have pictures of it when I went there many years ago.

One more question. Is photography legal?

http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/docs/UseRegulations.pdf

Page 9 and Page 10

Yes. It looks a lot like ours, in that tripods aren't allowed and there's no special lightning.

However, according to this:

http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/media_relations/filming_details.cfm

Filming Regulations for Non-News Media Requests Filming/Photography on Metro Property

Filming is permitted at most Metro stations. For safety and privacy reasons, under no circumstances is filming/photography allowed on board in-service buses or railcars. It is important to remember that the primary role of WMATA is to move people, and that our customers come first. We will work with you to determine a time when the impact on the public is minimal.

To discuss your particular needs, please contact Cynthia Jachles in Metro's Office of Station Area Planning and Asset Management at 202-962-1586, Fax 202-962-2396, or cjachles@wmata.com.

1. What are the best places to fan?

2. Does anyone know a link to a fansite for it, like nycsubway.org for our subway?

3. What day will the Silver Line start operation?

Thanks for viewing.

Best railfan spot: King St Station.  Not only you get Metrorail action, but VRE, Amtrak and freight.

Other spots are along the Red Line, especially between Silver Spring and NY Ave, and Twinbrook and Shady Grove.

DC Area Transit Zone: http://forums.dctransit.info/index.php

The tenative date is December 2013 not June.  WMATA has just begun the extensive testing, plus station work is not fully complete.

1. What are the best places to fan?

2. Does anyone know a link to a fansite for it, like nycsubway.org for our subway?

3. What day will the Silver Line start operation?

Thanks for viewing.

I personally like NoMa on the Red Line. It's an "in-fill" station between Union Station and Rhode Island Avenue-Brentwood. You'll see MARC, Virginia Railway Express, and Amtrak commuter trains just outside the Glenmont bound track. The Orange Line isn't bad either. On the west side (Virginia), you'll travel in the median of I-66. It's a nice view. But whatever you do, stay away from the southern end of the Green line. I wouldn't go there unless I have my Glock. Unfortunately, that part is high in violent crime.

The Silver Line is tentatively scheduled to open in late 2013. The project will be turned over to WMATA this August. Third rail energization has just begun and the feeler car and trains are now being tested between Wiehle Ave and East Falls Church.

I personally like NoMa on the Red Line. It's an "in-fill" station between Union Station and Rhode Island Avenue-Brentwood. You'll see MARC, Virginia Railway Express, and Amtrak commuter trains just outside the Glenmont bound track. The Orange Line isn't bad either. On the west side (Virginia), you'll travel in the median of I-66. It's a nice view. But whatever you do, stay away from the southern end of the Green line. I wouldn't go there unless I have my Glock. Unfortunately, that part is high in violent crime.

The Silver Line is tentatively scheduled to open in late 2013. The project will be turned over to WMATA this August. Third rail energization has just begun and the feeler car and trains are now being tested between Wiehle Ave and East Falls Church.

I CAN'T WAIT HELL YESSSS

Forget the subway, which is bland. Go shoot Amtrak. At Union Station, go up to level 3 or 4 in the parking garage which hangs out over the tracks. Take the subway (Green or Yellow) to King Street. The Amtrak Alexandria station is across the street. The station is a good vantage point to take shots. Then continue to Van Dorn Street, which is right next to the RF&P. In the other direction, take the Orange Line to New Carrollton where the Amtrak station is located.

I'm not aware of any fan site.

Quill Depot

What day will the Silver Line start operation?

Project Implementation Schedule states 12 04 2013,

WMATA typically opens new segments on Saturdays, so figure on 12 07 or 14 2013.

I wouldn't mark your calender though, upgrades being made to the Falls Church yard needed accommodate the extension are behind schedule so the opening date might be pushed into the first quarter of 2014.

Archived