Was there ever a crackdown on subway car break dancers?

frak

Two kids were break dancing in a subway car that I was riding in. It was entertaining but it was very dangerous because they were doing these acrobatics in the middle of a moving train. There were actually some near misses with the riders.

I was wondering, was there ever a crackdown on dancers? Performing in subway cars is illegal. I have also heard rumors that these crews are organized by the same people who have children sell candy for charity in the subway cars. Is this true?

Two kids were break dancing in a subway car that I was riding in. It was entertaining but it was very dangerous because they were doing these acrobatics in the middle of a moving train. There were actually some near misses with the riders.

I was wondering, was there ever a crackdown on dancers? Performing in subway cars is illegal. I have also heard rumors that these crews are organized by the same people who have children sell candy for charity in the subway cars. Is this true?

They do whatever they can to make a few bucks.

They should crack down. I know the kids are just trying to make money, but they do this crap on moving, packed trains and always damn near kick someone in the face.

They need to take that act on the street. Unsafe for reasons previously mentioned, and what if the train has to make an emergency stop and they go flying up against a pole. NYPD needs to stop chasing cameras and go after these clowns (only in NY)

What time is it? 

It's SHOWTIME!! :D

I ride the  'E' daily, and on my homeward commute, there is a parade of the 'regular's each day.   The as mentioned acrobatic dancers, the accordian player with his son collecting, the lady with the baby, the 'food for the homeless' campaigner, the guy in the wheelchair, the guy with the old dog, the guy that leaves his card on your knee, and on and on..... 

Actually, it is rather sad.  I feel badly for people that have to stoop to this activity to make a living, but at the same time, I would like to have a peaceful ride home at the end of a hard day's work.

They do whatever they can to make a few bucks.

I agree. That's all I have to say. Breakdancing is an art, an instrumental part of Hip Hop culture. They should use discretion however in which car they perform. Not on a crowded train.

I never saw an incident yet where someone got even close to getting hurt by these performers,  they are well choreographed in their moves. I used to breakdance in raves myself, my HS friends taught me.

What time is it? 

I ride the  'E' daily, and on my homeward commute, there is a parade of the 'regular's each day.   The as mentioned acrobatic dancers, the accordian player with his son collecting, the lady with the baby, the 'food for the homeless' campaigner, the guy in the wheelchair, the guy with the old dog, the guy that leaves his card on your knee, and on and on..... 

Actually, it is rather sad.  I feel badly for people that have to stoop to this activity to make a living, but at the same time, I would like to have a peaceful ride home at the end of a hard day's work.

The food for homeless guy i actually support. He's actually giving out food and help for anyone who's hungry or needs help (IE: Homeless). Those are the only people i would give money to. 

The food for homeless guy i actually support. He's actually giving out food and help for anyone who's hungry or needs help (IE: Homeless). Those are the only people i would give money to. 

Again I agree. Many ppl peddling are obviously genuinely hitting hard times out of situations out of their control. It's real.

What time is it? 

Dang, man! Nail on the head. You pretty much nailed them all in that one post.

That stuff is so annoying to me, now. I just want a nice ride home when I get on subway. Some of them ('food for the homeless guy' was doing it in 96-00, my high school days) have been doing that for years. Which means they're just living off the money that people give, instead of using that cash as a stepping stone to move up to something else. Think about how much these people potentially make...

lol If three people on each car of an (E) train give a panhandler a $1, that's 30 bucks for one train! lol Multiply that by 5-7 days a week, and we're talking $150-210. And that's if you begged on just one train-a-day! Tax free, too! Yo! They are gettin' people. That's why there's the, "...we ask you not to give", announcement. Give, and they will keep coming back for more. Creating an out-of-hand situation.

They need to crackdown on the panhandlers and performers of all sorts... It's like really played out already.  I used to give money here and there but I see the same people so much that it's like okay ENOUGH with the friggin scam.  That's the one thing I do like about MetroNorth... None of that crap going on... The subways these days are just too crowded and these people walk around like zombies with their freaking stories which no one wants to hear in the morning or at night when they're going to or from work esp. after a long day in the office.  Everybody is trying to make ends meet but it's like damn... Go out and hussle and actually WORK and get a real job!! I don't call those people breakdancing "performers" because I didn't pay for the subway to see people flying around in front of me.  If I wanted to watch them, I'd pay an admission to see them.  <_<

It's understandable what many are saying. This is what I am getting:

1) With the homeless peddling for change, it is obviously illegal and an annoyance. 

2) With breakdancers and other performers it can be even dangerous with their choreographed flying moves.

3) Transit workers must do their jobs. C/Os are given the responsibility of enforcing order in the cars, as the T/O well just operates the train, and handle mechanical issues.

My opinion is subjective, because for many of the homeless or the poor inner city kids coming out of homes they have it hard in life for a variety of reasons. And again I have a high appreciation for all aspects of classic Hip Hop expression and it is not limited to music. Also breakdancing and graffiti art.

As a disclaimer of course vandalism is a felony offense so obviously do not go bombing in a train yard. You will guaranteed end up in Rikers Island pending trial for felony destruction of property, trespassing and vandalism charges. I agree with those who throw burners and pieces on canvas at art shows or on property with permission of the building owner or landlord. These things can be legally arranged with no repercussions  Ditto on breakdancing, they do hold shows in theaters, and halls, even schools.

As far as panhandling, again it's a hit or miss to determine if they are genuinely in need or really scammers. But alot of them are I will acknowledge that. they can pull 300 dollars in change in their scams. 

Now what about those performers who play Mexican ballads on the train? Personally I feel the same way. It is an expression of art to be respected. 

On the sorts of performers mentioned, the practice of performing on the train is debatable and valid, and I can understand that the train is not the place for such performances, but let's not hate these cultural and urban expressions of art, in itself, in the process. 

I'm making a general statement, FYI. Not directed at anyone here.

The NYPD should do a crackdown. I've seen very dangerous breakdancers, and while the cops are out there anyway, might as well get the beggers and preachers too.

The cops doing this must be undercover, a uniform is just a deterrent.

Yeah but it was in the station messanines and not in the train. Mom just let her kid out of her sight and poor baby paid the price with a Guile-like jackknife kick. I know I said breakdancing should not be allowed in trains, but maybe in station messanines via Arts for Transit. What say you all?

I don't mess with either group, since they are known to be part of gangs, but the minute I get a complaint from one of my customers, I reach for my radio.

That's not 100% true.

Edit: To add, many of these breakdancers are just simply friends cousins or siblings that get together and practice to perform. Not always the case of gangbangers doin' the Crip Walk.

Many pan-handler's are 'legit'--that is they are really 'at the end of their rope', but other's are 'genuine fakes' or scammers.

And MTA commuter trains, while not as bad, are not immune, either....

Years ago, I used to take an LIRR train home from Penn Station.  This guy used to get on a boarding train, hold a few dollars up to show that he was 'legit', and then announce that he lost his wallet, and was just a few dollars short of the fare to get home.  Some would give him some money, and then he would quickly exit, and head for another train to 'work'.  

I know he was a scammer, because a few weeks later, he would appear again with the same 'pitch', apparently not realizing, (or caring), that some would remember him.

Many pan-handler's are 'legit'--that is they are really 'at the end of their rope', but other's are 'genuine fakes' or scammers.

And MTA commuter trains, while not as bad, are not immune, either....

Years ago, I used to take an LIRR train home from Penn Station.  This guy used to get on a boarding train, hold a few dollars up to show that he was 'legit', and then announce that he lost his wallet, and was just a few dollars short of the fare to get home.  Some would give him some money, and then he would quickly exit, and head for another train to 'work'.  

I know he was a scammer, because a few weeks later, he would appear again with the same 'pitch', apparently not realizing, (or caring), that some would remember him.

Legit or not they're really annoying.  I prefer those that sit on the street with their sign.. At least they're not pushy and in the way... Now I had something similar to what you had where the same guy came begging me for money... Saw him the first time while I was waiting for the BxM1 at 3rd and 33rd... Talking about he's short and needs money for MetroNorth. So I said, "Oh yeah and what am I supposed to do?" Eventually he moved on... Fast forward a few weeks later and I see the same friggin' guy and of course he comes begging, so I cut him off before he can start with his BS line and had the nerve to get all smart and then puts his hands on me. That's when I turned around and a look must've came across my face and I said to him "You put your hands on me again and you're going to regret it", and when he saw my face, his little smurk came right off because I was ready to punch his @ss out and knock him right down the escalator. These European tourists were looking and they were scared as sh*t. I have to laugh thinking about it because I must've had some look on my face, because all I knew was I was so pissed and and enraged #1 for him invading my personal space and putting his damn hands on me like we know each other and #2 for approaching me yet again after I had already saw him a few weeks ago with the same damn line, as if I wouldn't remember his little sham.  I mean talk about balls...  <_<

When I say "No" or "Not Interested", that's what it means and if that message isn't understood then I can show you to ensure that it's clear.  Usually I don't even have to say anything but occasionally I have to get nasty since some folks have a hard time understanding.  

It's very annoying when people do stuff like this on the (E) - is it too much to be able to ask to go to sleep on the train?

Performances on the trains are an integral part of New York life, because let's be honest, it wouldn't be very New York if every single car in the system never had a performer on it at all. However, some need to go, especially if they're being rude and disruptive to customers (I got cursed out once for not giving money, because a high school student is always going to magically carry change <_< .) Some performances are genuinely appreciated though - I've been on trains with comedy sketches, magic shows, and at one point some dude got the entire train singing "Stand By Me." :D

Anything that occurs on a regular basis needs to stop, though.

Performances on the trains are an integral part of New York life, 

Some performances are genuinely appreciated though - I've been on trains with comedy sketches, magic shows, and at one point some dude got the entire train singing "Stand By Me."  :D

Werd. That's what gives the Big Apple it's flavor, these sort of performances in the subways , politically correct or not, the breakdancing sessions particularly @ 14th Street and @ Herald Square, the outdoor performances at the public parks, the house parties open to the public at the boardwalk in Coney Island, the outdoor BBQs in the Boogie Down Bronx on Puerto Rican Day,the festivities at Lunar New Year, The Mexican Ballad performers doing their thing, the brazen drinking in public today on St. Patty's in Bay Ridge, BK, at night, (lol wish I was there...) and such, Public Pit BBQ's up in ENY and Bushwick, during the hot summer days by the projects, the art exhibitions and that includes Graffiti art that's what makes NYC unique and fun as the greatest city in the world IMHO!! 

I am not condoning illegal activity. However, this is the Big Apple. It's these things that makes New York NY for what it is. In many ways a good thing.

Completely agree with the above two posts. Yeah, there's a line that shouldn't be crossed when it comes to putting commuters in danger of injury or harassing them, but there are both some very talented and very legitimately in need people in the subway. I have no problem with giving money to people like that, nor do I have a problem with anybody else giving money. Hell, sometimes I get more annoyed at the people in the car than the performers: I'm sitting on my 6 and I figure imma be a sport and give this really talented guy performing a full dollar bill as opposed to change etc., so I do, sure enough the guy next to me whips out ten and makes a big show about it! Suddenly I'm looking like a cheapskate when I just gave out more money than I ever do... Almost broke out a $20 and got into a donation war till I remembered, wait, I can't afford that lol!

Archived