MTA Long Island Bus signs still hanging around

46Dover

While on my way to Willis Hobbies in Mineola from the Northern State Pkwy, I couldn't help to notice that MTA Long Island Bus stop sign were still up (I was on Willis Ave). Anyone else see any signs up and around out there?

Guest MTA Bus

Most of the bus stops still say Long Island Bus on them. NICE just put stickers over it if the route(s) had a service change. They also still have the N6 Limited sign at Hempstead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, and as NICE plans to replace them soon, I've suggested they auction off the old Long Island Bus signs to the public.

I emailed them the same idea, and asked for a free one for suggesting the idea.

Meanwhile I won one on ebay.

When I searched Long Island Bus on Ebay, I found out there used to be Jones Beach bus from Queens.

C'mon Yuki, you're slipping. You ride NICE almost everyday, you should know their history and everything! COME ON!!!

Anyway, here are the past Jones Beach routes from MSBA times:

JB21 Flushing Prince St & Roosevelt Ave to Jones Beach

JB24 Jamaica 165th & Jamaica Ave to Jones Beack

JB39 Hicksville RR to Jones Beach

JB62 Freeport RR to Jones Beach

JB73 Wantagh RR to Jones Beach

Yes there was a Bus from Jamaica, the JB24 (now basically parts of the n6/n51)

I was actually talking about the sign he found, I wanted to see a picture of that piece of history, but thanks for learning me a bit of history :)

I moved to NYC in Feb 1996, so I don't know so much about history of transit (including NICE, LIB, Bee-Line Bus.

That's not an excuse to not do research on the main transportation system you use (NICE and previously LIB and what preceded that). Hell, even I know the history of those two to some extent and I live across the ocean!

Archived