Controversial NYPD 'stop and frisk' policy goes on trial in NY

realizm

The mayor should have said "the NYPD disproportionately stops Photographers, busfanners and railfanners too much."

He would have been the laughing stock of the year even with FOX News if he even tried that one.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope I don't bashed too badly for this, but...

Whenever I see a shooting on the news, usually in what is labeled as a "bad" area the community is outraged and on the news calling for Ray Kelly and Bloomblerg to do something and clean up the streets.  What's the answer to cleaning up dangerous areas, keeping communities safe, and keeping children from being shot by stray bullets?  Making sure just as many whites are searched as minorities?

The mayor may be an idiot for what he says and how he says it but what about the fact that most violent crimes in the city are committed by minority males age 15-25?  The mayor didn't make that up to be a racist, that is reality.  How many guns have been taken off the streets and lives saved (which the community asked for) with stop and frisk?

People seem to be getting offended (and understandably so) about how the mayor said what he did, but the real issue is the group that is being targeted (and many times based on a suspect description) are part of the pie that are COMMITTING these crimes.  Why aren't people outraged that a majority of the violent crime in the city is committed by minorities aged 15-25?  This is statistics people not racism, but maybe we should make people feel good and allocate resources to make sure more whites are stopped and frisked.  Politically correct but by shuffling resources to make people feel better more people will die (statistically).

Here's the Devil's advocate in me speaking (and it's also a fact): I've never been harassed by white folks. By my own Asian brothers and sisters? Yeah. By black people? Not enough digits on my finger to count. By Hispanics? A lot more than by Asians is what I can say. Of course, this was when I was a kid and kids will always get into some kind of spat with other kids. But have these same kids grown up and made themselves a statistic for today's crime-reducing strategy?

Here's the Devil's advocate in me speaking (and it's also a fact): I've never been harassed by white folks. By my own Asian brothers and sisters? Yeah. By black people? Not enough digits on my finger to count. By Hispanics? A lot more than by Asians is what I can say. Of course, this was when I was a kid and kids will always get into some kind of spat with other kids. But have these same kids grown up and made themselves a statistic for today's crime-reducing strategy?

The model minority myth that many of my Asian brothers get wrapped up into many times deliberately and many times without realizing it because the pressure is intense. . Need I get into this? That is exactly why you wasn't harassed by whites as you've stated.

Myself I would say I was harassed truthfully by black and white cops alike. Look at my face to a name in the avatar. I also had similar experiences where I was shunned by many racist Asians because I am non-white mixed Asian and not pure Asian. Because I refuse to sell out into the myth.

Don't blame me, blame those reverse racists. The truth is the truth. As B35 via Church stated to me once, if you have a ounce of black then you are black, thanks to the haters, despite being 75% Chinese and Indian, with a Iranian and Black heritage (My aunt is currently doing research on our familial geneology and discovered I have a great great Iranian grandfather)

It is what it is and I am speaking objectively about it, because racial variety to me is a beautiful thing, this was how we were created by the higher force. Hence my truthfulness on racial dynamics from what I've learned from asian American civil rights activists, yet my love for brothers and sisters of regardless of color is strong. 

On cops to get back on track now, the truth of the matter is that I had problems with cops regardless of race. But as explained my situation is different from yours. In my case the model minority myth in this case harms me rather then benefit me unlike some pure Asian brothers who can take advantage of so called honorary white status. 

You brought up a good point and I am glad you voiced out on that, people need understand this about the Asian American community and our challenges that we face.

• 1 month later...

Update on the ongoing civil class action lawsuit, which has been on going for approximately ten weeks as of today:

A Manhattan federal court judge today has just ruled against the NYPD’s controversial stop-and-frisk practices, according to the NY Post.  The US District Court Judge, Shira Scheindlin concluded that the Fourth Amendment right in the Constitution which protects civilians against unreasonable searches and seizures and the 14th Amendment which ensures 'of due process and equality' in legalistic protection, are violated by the stop and frisk policies endorsed by the NYPD and City Hall under the Bloomberg Administration.

Link: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/nypd_stop_frisk_policy_in_violated_e6nphdcvJFunqy0fvWHOfM

Last Updated: 11:30 AM, August 12, 2013

Posted: 9:39 AM, August 12, 2013

A Manhattan federal court judge today ruled against the NYPD’s controversial stop-and-frisk practices, saying the city acted with “deliberate indifference” to these “unconstitutional” stops.

The NYPD has been systematically targeting minorities and violating their Fourth Amendment rights against unreasonable searches and seizures and 14th Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection, according to US District Court Judge Shira Scheindlin.

“I find that the City is liable for violating plaintiffs’ Fourth and Fourteenth Amendment rights,” Scheindlin wrote.

States Judge Scheindlin: “I find that the City is liable for violating plaintiffs’ Fourth and Fourteenth Amendment rights”  further stating,  that the city agencies acted with “deliberate indifference” to regards to such  “unconstitutional” stop and frisk searches. She continues by stating that: "Far too many people in New York City have been deprived of this basic freedom far too often....."

She plans to install an independent monitor, consisting of a private lawyer with well known credentials and also, former Manhattan prosecutor Peter Zimroth, in order to, monitor over the NYPD to ensure compliance with her latest ruling.

Bloomberg has commented on this last June by stating that: “I think we disproportionately stop whites too much and minorities too little. It’s exactly the reverse of what they say” No response has been apparently made by him, as of yet, on this latest ruling today.

However, this major ruling on this controversial policy has caught the attention of all the mayoral candidates in the run for Mayor of City Hall:

Front runner, City Council Speaker Quinn has offered a response: "The NYPD Inspector General will help review and provide guidance to ensure that stop and frisk is done in a constitutionally sound manner that focuses on the quality of the stops, not the quantity," she said. "And as mayor, I intend to work with the federal monitor to help ensure these stops come down dramatically so that we can build stronger relationships between our communities of color and our police force. ”

Bill Thompson congratulates the ruling. He states: "As I have said, the present stop and frisk policy violates the constitutional rights of all New Yorkers, but especially innocent blacks and Latinos,”

Comptroller John Liu, the most formidable opponent of this policy praises the decision made by the federal judge: “The judge's call for reforms must be heeded, and – longer term – the tactic should be abolished. It's time to put an end to stop and frisk once and for all.”

Weiner said: "This decision sadly confirms what was profoundly obvious, When the police stop tens of thousands of citizens who have done nothing wrong - the overwhelming number being young men of color - basic civil rights are being violated.”

Comments from Bill de Blasio: "The courts have just affirmed facts that too many New Yorkers know to be true: Under the Bloomberg Administration, with the acquiescence of Speaker Quinn, millions of innocent New Yorkers - overwhelmingly young men of color - have been illegally stopped....”

I'm sure this will be the talking opposing point of Christine Quinn in her leadership qualities as potential mayor from the other candidates on the ongoing very competitive mayoral race. Christine Quinn certainty will be the target from her opponents, the literal chicken in the political pecking order, sort of speak, with her insistence on supporting this policy in her campaign along with her well known connections with Police Commissioner Ray Kelly. Note this is about one month before the democratic mayoral primary. She will have a lot to contend with if she is to maintain her lead according to the latest polls comes the primary.

Most likely so at this point, aside from his comments in June, as Mr. Bloomberg has not yet given a response as he may be seeking advisement from his public advocates, also the NYPD Commissioner and civilian administrators of the Chiefs of Department as to how to counteract the ruling as you've said, before making an official statement regarding this.

Archived