average trip time of X28?

qjtransitmaster

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here.... You fail to mention what you mean by "last brooklyn stop"....

Whichever you're asking about is the answer you can take from this post....

- From bay pkwy to canal av doesn't even take 5 minutes on most occasions b/c there's hardly anyone on the bus past bay pkwy on the PM buses.... From bay pkwy to sea gate, add another 5 mins (so, about 10 mins from bay pkwy to sea gate).....

- If by "to the gowanus" you mean the last pickup stop in brooklyn/on the AM buses.... From bay pkwy to 7th/86th, in the morning, that can take a good 15 mins. w/ all the ppl. boarding b/w the two points & what not....

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here.... You fail to mention what you mean by "last brooklyn stop"....

Whichever you're asking about is the answer you can take from this post....

- From bay pkwy to canal av doesn't even take 5 minutes on most occasions b/c there's hardly anyone on the bus past bay pkwy on the PM buses.... From bay pkwy to sea gate, add another 5 mins (so, about 10 mins from bay pkwy to sea gate).....

- If by "to the gowanus" you mean the last pickup stop in brooklyn/on the AM buses.... From bay pkwy to 7th/86th, in the morning, that can take a good 15 mins. w/ all the ppl. boarding b/w the two points & what not....

interesting what about around midday hours?

from dyker to coney island?

Let's say 10 - 20 minutes with no traffic on from the last stop in Manhattan to the first stop in Dyker Heights... Depends on how quick the driver is of course... From Dyker Heights to Coney Island another 20 minutes if you're going near say Stillwell Avenue. If not then it's probably about 30 minutes or so again depending on how fast the B/O is and if there is anyone else getting on.  I usually took it on weekends so I was the only one getting on by the Stillwell Av station.

so what bus is faster on weekends before x28 or bm3?

Also from manhattan it's 10 mins? DAMN!!!!

so when it was a weekend line it took 20 mins from dyker heights to reach coney island or bay parkway or bay parkway was 15 mins rather than 10or 20?

Well, think about it this way: The X17 is scheduled to take about 12-15 minutes to get from 86th Street to Rector Street on the weekends. If the driver has a lead foot, and there's no traffic, it's possible to cut it down to 10 minutes. My brother told me about a time he caught a bus that took him 8 minutes to get to the VZ Bridge from Battery Place.

so what bus is faster on weekends before x28 or bm3?

Also from manhattan it's 10 mins? DAMN!!!!

so when it was a weekend line it took 20 mins from dyker heights to reach coney island or bay parkway or bay parkway was 15 mins rather than 10or 20?

What do you mean faster?? In what sense? Faster from end to end or what?

As for your second question, yeah about 20 minutes from the Dyker Heights to Coney Island section and mainly because of the damn lights on Cropsey.  Seems as if they aren't synced or something which was why I used to get annoyed.  The Lower Manhattan to Dyker Heights segment is so fast and quite frankly the Dyker Heights to Coney Island segment should be faster since there aren't that many people riding, but it felt like it always took longer than I felt it should have and I think that was one reason why.  The Ulmer Park B/Os are pretty cool though.  They'll try to drop you as close to your destination as possible if they can.

The BM3 ride tends to take longer going to Sheepshead Bay because it can't bypass the Downtown segment like it can coming back, plus the bus makes more turns than it does going to the city and then you have the PITA lights on Coney Island and Ocean Av and along Cortelyou Rd as well that seem to change every time you blink your eye.  I don't care either way. I just get a nice nap.  It sure as hell beats the schlepp on the train because for me the the transfer time from the BxM1 or BxM2 to the BM3 is not that bad.  Just enough time to grab an espresso and a pastry and then hop on the BM3 to get to my destination.  

If they had the (B) on the weekends, it would be much more tempting to take the subway because it's express, but with the (Q) IMO it can be a painful long ride, esp. if they're doing track work. Also since the (Q) is near 7th Avenue, it would eliminate my option of using the BxM1 without having to make an additional transfer, while with the BM3, I can use either since it is more centrally located there on 5th.

There's a reason I didn't answer that last question....

Outside of the vagueness of the question....

The x28 & the Bm3 doesn't even serve the same areas in Brooklyn, so how can you gauge which is faster....

I meant what bus gets to manhattan faster from it's 1st brooklyn pickup to first manhattan drop-off?

I meant what bus gets to manhattan faster from it's 1st brooklyn pickup to first manhattan drop-off?

It's about the same... Maybe the X28 might be a bit quicker because it comes right off of the Gowanus and turns right on to 86th and 7th but there isn't a huge difference.  The BM3 comes off the expressway quick but has to spend a little time on side streets before coming to the first stop.

Never bothered to measure the two.... The result isn't indicative of anything anyway...

In Brooklyn, the x28 spends more time on the highway & the BM3 spends more time on local streets.... What are you trying to compare the two for.....

Let's cut to the chase because this line of questioning within this thread has gotten rather silly at this point....

What is it that you're REALLY seeking to consider doing and/or determine with this whole thing?

Can you give a straight answer to that......

Never bothered to measure the two.... The result isn't indicative of anything anyway...

In Brooklyn, the x28 spends more time on the highway & the BM3 spends more time on local streets.... What are you trying to compare the two for.....

Let's cut to the chase because this line of questioning within this thread has gotten rather silly at this point....

What is it that you're REALLY seeking to consider doing and/or determine with this whole thing?

Can you give a straight answer to that......

LOL... His usual rhetoric about which express bus is "useless" compared to the subway... What else...  <_< He has a hard time believing that an express bus can be quicker than the subway in many cases.  

LOL... His usual rhetoric about which express bus is "useless" compared to the subway... What else...  <_< 

He has a hard time believing that an express bus can be quicker than the subway in many cases.  

Yeah, that's just it - He has too many "usual rhetorics".... I wanna see which one he's on this time around...

Lmao.

LOL... His usual rhetoric about which express bus is "useless" compared to the subway... What else... <_< He has a hard time believing that an express bus can be quicker than the subway in many cases.

Actually I am fully aware of how much faster many express buses are over the subway I know I took a few BM1 & QM24 were stupid fast. Anyway with MTA cutting back on Bm3 outside rush I was looking for a way to preserve off-peak and sat service in a way to benefit as many people as possible. Rush hr no changes needed but MTA can get a bit more creative. I just have a small hunch that is all.

Actually I am fully aware of how much faster many express buses are over the subway I know I took a few BM1 & QM24 were stupid fast. Anyway with MTA cutting back on Bm3 outside rush I was looking for a way to preserve off-peak and sat service in a way to benefit as many people as possible. Rush hr no changes needed but MTA can get a bit more creative. I just have a small hunch that is all.

lol.... It's pretty simple as to why folks don't use the BM3 on the weekends in Brooklyn.  They either flock to the subway OR drive.  Most of the folks that ride the BM3 are either elderly, or just don't want to deal with the subway and the folks that use it during the week probably drive during the weekends.  The BM3 is faster than the subway at times, but can be slower than the subway at times too and I think that's one problem.  There's also the monetary problem and demographics issue. I look at a place like Riverdale which has a mix of dense apt. style living but also non dense living but still in the suburbs and with no subway there, the express bus is THE show in town because it is truly not only faster but also much more convenient, often times stopping right in front of big co-ops along Henry Hudson Parkway or condos down along Kappock St.  The frequencies of the routes help too and also you have more people that can afford the express bus AND that have no problem using it.  It reminds me of Bay Ridge with Shore Rd which has a similar set up which is why the X27 was able to restored because the (R) train is a schlepp to get to from Shore Rd.

In Brooklyn with the BM3, you've either got people that can afford it but would rather drive or the subway folks that see the subway as faster regardless of the situation, so in short, outside of rush hour, you just don't have the same type of demand or market.  

Another thing is you have colleges in Riverdale (like the Columbia University apartment complex for staff and graduate students) and other attractions like Wave Hill which actually markets the express bus.  The BM3 is pretty much serving residential areas and there just isn't that same mix of people there to market to unfortunately.  If any marketing goes on, it's probably the subway.  If the subway was more of a schlepp to get to like it is in Riverdale or ran as sh*tty as the (R) does in Bay Ridge, then the BM3 would be used more.

lol.... It's pretty simple as to why folks don't use the BM3 on the weekends in Brooklyn.  They either flock to the subway OR drive.  Most of the folks that ride the BM3 are either elderly, or just don't want to deal with the subway and the folks that use it during the week probably drive during the weekends.  The BM3 is faster than the subway at times, but can be slower than the subway at times too and I think that's one problem.  There's also the monetary problem and demographics issue. I look at a place like Riverdale which has a mix of dense apt. style living but also non dense living but still in the suburbs and with no subway there, the express bus is THE show in town because it is truly not only faster but also much more convenient, often times stopping right in front of big co-ops along Henry Hudson Parkway or condos down along Kappock St.  The frequencies of the routes help too and also you have more people that can afford the express bus AND that have no problem using it.  It reminds me of Bay Ridge with Shore Rd which has a similar set up which is why the X27 was able to restored because the (R) train is a schlepp to get to from Shore Rd.

In Brooklyn with the BM3, you've either got people that can afford it but would rather drive or the subway folks that see the subway as faster regardless of the situation, so in short, outside of rush hour, you just don't have the same type of demand or market.  

Another thing is you have colleges in Riverdale (like the Columbia University apartment complex for staff and graduate students) and other attractions like Wave Hill which actually markets the express bus.  The BM3 is pretty much serving residential areas and there just isn't that same mix of people there to market to unfortunately.  If any marketing goes on, it's probably the subway.  If the subway was more of a schlepp to get to like it is in Riverdale or ran as sh*tty as the (R) does in Bay Ridge, then the BM3 would be used more.

Yes thats so,but because of the lack of local bus service.If there was a local bus on Shore Road that connected to the subway(ie.an extended :bus_bullet_b9: )than the (MTA) can really kill off the :bus_bullet_x27::bus_bullet_x37: ...

Yes thats so,but because of the lack of local bus service.If there was a local bus on Shore Road that connected to the subway(ie.an extended :bus_bullet_b9: )than the (MTA) can really kill off the :bus_bullet_x27::bus_bullet_x37: ...

There is... The  :bus_bullet_b16: to the (R)... Even with an extended  :bus_bullet_b9:, you still have to transfer to the SLOW (R) then transfer to the (N).  That can't compete with the  :bus_bullet_x27:  :bus_bullet_x37: which can shave off a good 20 minutes or more getting to the city.  Also for someone working on the East Side of Midtown, they would have to transfer again after taking the (N).  Finally many seniors use the express bus because of the lack of ADA stations along the (R), so the one seat ride is another thing that makes the  :bus_bullet_x27:   :bus_bullet_x37: more attractive.  

Here in Riverdale my commute would be hell without the express bus... I would have to take the Bx7 or Bx10 to the (1) train and then take that LOCAL to 96th street then change if I wanted express service.  I know a few folks that work in the 50's on the East Side and live near me.  They must take either walk over to the East Side from the subway, or take a local bus.  All in all that's two buses and perhaps two trains...

There is... The  :bus_bullet_b16: to the (R)... Even with an extended  :bus_bullet_b9:, you still have to transfer to the SLOW (R) then transfer to the (N).  That can't compete with the  :bus_bullet_x27:  :bus_bullet_x37: which can shave off a good 20 minutes or more getting to the city.  Also for someone working on the East Side of Midtown, they would have transfer again after taking the (N).  Also many seniors use the express bus because of the lack of ADA stations along the (R).

No the :bus_bullet_b9: connect directly to the (N) at 59th/4th plus there are times that it is more frequent than the :bus_bullet_x27:. :bus_bullet_b9: to the (N) is 10 minutes faster EVEN on weekends

ALSO the :bus_bullet_b16: doesnt serve Shore Rd stops at 88th(NB),83rd,79th,Bay  Ridge Pkwy,72nd and so on

No the :bus_bullet_b9: connect directly to the (N) at 59th/4th plus there are times that it is more frequent than the :bus_bullet_x27:. :bus_bullet_b9: to the (N) is 10 minutes faster EVEN on weekends

ALSO the :bus_bullet_b16: doesnt serve Shore Rd stops at 88th(NB),83rd,79th,Bay  Ridge Pkwy,72nd and so on

Of course... No need to put that in bold... I considered living on Shore Rd and 92nd and grew up in Southern Brooklyn, so I know the area pretty well... Frequency isn't the only thing that is to be considered. If the express bus is timed well frequency isn't that important since you're either going to have service every 30 minutes or every 60 minutes.  How can (N) be 10 minutes faster if you don't know where someone is going?  If you're going Downtown, the (N) does NOT stop in the immediate Downtown area. It's first stop is Canal St and then local.  With the amount of waiting and changes necessary, the express bus is much quicker.

Archived