High salary jobs in the mass transit field?

DaTransitMan4608

I received a Masters Degree in Library Science 40 years ago and thought that I would be working in a public library or a similar type of library. Interestingly, the type of library that I spent most of my career  was never discussed  when I was studying for the degree. It was a Civil Service Position and there was no training offered until years after I started working there. Yet I preserved and thanks to all the persons that I interacted, I was able to learn to survive in that environment.  It was the best move that I made in terms of my career.

Many people turn to Civil Service as it affords "some form of protection" thanks to  seniority and the ability to transfer and move to another position It is not as good as it used to be as jobs are being abolished, reallocated and relocated especially in the lower grade positions but it still offers the best opportunity in today's job market.

Thing is degrees don't mean anything because school work is all theoretical. If you can't do it in the real world, you can't do it. Employers want to see proof you can do it in the real world = experience.

A lot of college kids don't get this and that's why they end up moonlighting as bartenders while living in Williamsburg with 5 roommates while they try to figure out "what to do next"...

Indeed. Very well put because many here knows that's exactly the way it works in the IT field. Let me add sometimes it's not even the professional IT certifications sometimes either. I've seen tier III techs who don't even have a simple CompTIA A+ certification, just hardcore experience and savvy skill which is what employers are working for.

At least in my field the way it works is that the only reason they may ask for the requirment of a bachelors in CS is as an elimination process of the pool of applicants for a given position posted for IT work. 

Speaking of which while I'm touching this particular, what would be the perks of an IT professional employed in the MTA? And what does the agency look for in an employee skilled in information technology? I do know that a degree is required, and some other things that applies from what I saw from threads related to how a new T/O or C/R would advance in the agency (following the rules, never be late, making sure one understands the culture within the department, making sure one is on good terms with his/her TSS etc etc)  but does this also relate to employees not in the front lines sort of speak in the MTA?

I do know that a degree is required, and some other things that applies from what I saw from threads related to how a new T/O or C/R would advance in the agency (following the rules, never be late, making sure one understands the culture within the department, making sure one is on good terms with his/her TSS etc etc)  but does this also relate to employees not in the front lines sort of speak in the MTA?

Sadly No they got it worse much worse.... :(  :(  :(

Archived