Merger?

DOB2RTO

Officially in October, MaBSTOA and TA Brooklyn depots will be one. This is for the general pick. Usually MaBSTOA operators could only pick in Manhattan (except 126st) or the Bronx during the general pick, and Brooklyn operators could only pick Brooklyn depots. Now officially MaBSTOA operators will be able to pick into Brooklyn, and Brooklyn TA Surface operators will be able to pick into Manhattan or The Bronx.

Let the bumping begin!

Does this mean you can pick a better route for yourself.

It means one can pick a depot closer to them if they work for OA, and live in B'klyn, or work for TA (Brooklyn), and live in Manhattan or the Bronx.

Alot of OA operators live in Brooklyn so better work might open up. But then again, OA guys with 5+ years would loose alot of seniorty going to Brooklyn.

Losing seniority is a bad thing and I would never want to lose it. So what do you plan to now with the merger takes place?

If I am still in the DOB at that time (hopefully not), I will go back to the depot I first started at. Kingsbridge.

Have you ever considered New Jersey Transit?

Yes, until I found out about the part-time start. MTA pays more and gives better benefits anyway. I did put in an application to NJT for Locomotive Engineer. I got one in LIRR for that also.

Does anyone know what are the salary & benefit differences between the two agencies?

Same pay, same health/dental/vision. Only our pensions are "different". We have a MaBSTOA Tier 4 pension plan, and TA employees have a NYCERS Tier 4 pension plan (just found and read the forms). Pension is based on the same calculations, though. Only the name on the paper is different.

Yes, until I found out about the part-time start. MTA pays more and gives better benefits anyway. I did put in an application to NJT for Locomotive Engineer. I got one in LIRR for that also.

I would have guessed that a locomotive engineer positition would pay more than a train operator.

I would have guessed that a locomotive engineer positition would pay more than a train operator.

Funny thing is in NJ it does not. A Metro-North L/E makes $34.91hr. A LIRR L/E gets about the same. A NYCTA T/O gets 28+ at top pay. A NJT L/E gets $20-25hr. That sucks. But then the cost of living out there, is not as high as here But, I hear the property taxes in NJ are some of the (if not the) highest in the nation.

Archived