Where are all of the New Yorkers at?

Via Garibaldi 8

Last night I was waiting for an express bus to go home and there were nothing but tourists walking about. Over the last few years, when I come to the city on the weekends, it seems as if there are no New Yorkers ANYWHERE.  It's like damn where are the fellow New Yorkers at?? I'm not joking when I say that either.  Are they just staying in the outerboroughs or what???

What I'm getting at is the city has less and less of a New York vibe IMO.  It's like people come here to work and then there's a MASS EXODUS and nothing but tourists left.  Does anyone else notice this or feel this way?

Its same thing in other east coast cities like Washington and Boston. What the point of this VG8? DC in which majority of workers are federal government employees, just like that nyc, tourists from around the world take over that town on weekends. Can't explain why but hey you could visit Fargo, North Dakota and it's 98% "locals" lol.

VG8 I thought you enjoyed the big apple being so a famous city around the globe.

Its same thing in other east coast cities like Washington and Boston. What the point of this VG8? DC in which majority of workers are federal government employees, just like that nyc, tourists from around the world take over that town on weekends. Can't explain why but hey you could visit Fargo, North Dakota and it's 98% "locals" lol.

VG8 I thought you enjoyed the big apple being so a famous city around the globe.

The point is that there seems to be fewer New Yorkers out and about and I'm just wondering where they're at... There used to be areas that were known tourist spots in the city and spots where New Yorkers would mainly go but now that isn't the case anymore.

More people living in New York are out of towners moving in! That's just how I see it. 

Well yeah that's another thing!! They're actually New Yorkers (not native born of course) but they look like tourists from the way they act and such.  I'm just wondering if the fact that so many New Yorkers are leaving the city means that the remaining actual BORN and BRED New Yorkers leave New York City during the weekends or what do they do?  Do we have fewer New Yorkers working in the city now and more folks from Conneticut and New Jersey?

I feel as if the city is losing some of its native vibe and it sucks.

Sadly enough last night was the one time I was around St. Marks area in like a few years. LOL.

So do you find yourself going to the city less or just spending more time in Brooklyn or what??

Many native NYers are leaving NY for different reasons... Most of the folks I know have aspirations to move out of the city... Folks have been complaining about the rising prices of NY... I for one do not plan on leaving NYC anytime soon...

I don't either. A good buddy of mine tried to convince me to move to NJ and the idea alone replused me.  :lol:  NJ is nice and all but I'm a Brooklyn boy and I could never see myself leaving here, though I could never live in an urban area so that's why I need to be somewhere that's sort of isolated and suburban.  Hell as it is right now my plan is to eventually buy an apartment probably in Riverdale as long as the neighborhood stays remains nice and sleepy.

So what about you? Do you find yourself staying away from the city more or what?

I don't either. A good buddy of mine tried to convince me to move to NJ and the idea alone replused me.  :lol:  NJ is nice and all but I'm a Brooklyn boy and I could never see myself leaving here, though I could never live in an urban area so that's why I need to be somewhere that's sort of isolated and suburban.  Hell as it is right now my plan is to eventually buy an apartment probably in Riverdale as long as the neighborhood stays remains nice and sleepy.

So what about you? Do you find yourself staying away from the city more or what?

I remember spending a few nights upstate a few years ago... It was so damn quiet... Pitch black for miles... Definitely not for me as I'm more of an urban/city guy... Used to hearing sirens, folks cursing each other out, gunshots in the city lol... I guess we are opposites there lol...

To be honest, I don't go down to Manhattan much unless I have too... That last time I went down to the city, I went to Times Square/42nd street just for the hell of it... Took some photos while I was down there...Many tourist in the area I tell you... A friend of mine works near there and he says the same thing... Although for obvious reasons...

I remember spending a few nights upstate a few years ago... It was so damn quiet... Pitch black for miles... Definitely not for me as I'm more of an urban/city guy... Used to hearing sirens, folks cursing each other out, gunshots in the city lol... I guess we are opposites there lol...

To be honest, I don't go down to Manhattan much unless I have too... That last time I went down to the city, I went to Times Square/42nd street just for the hell of it... Took some photos while I was down there...Many tourist in the area I tell you... A friend of mine works near there and he says the same thing... Although for obvious reasons...

lol... Well I don't like it that quiet, but my idea of "busy" is walking home from the express bus and seeing folks around Riverdale walking their dogs.  After around 20:30 or so the main Avenues (Riverdale Avenue & Johnson Avenues) become rather dead as we don't have much night life here and that's just the way I prefer it.  For that there's the city, though you'll always see young folks walking about in the area at night with the university apartments and such here (i.e. Columbia University) and a lot of folks take the yellow taxis up from the city since it's a quick ride up the Henry Hudson Parkway.

That's interesting though... I can recall even as a teenager, me and my friends we'd go to the Village (this was back in the 90's when the Village wasn't so "hip" and in yet)  <_< and you had the metal heads walking around and all of the cool CD and heavy metal t-shirt stores about. \m/

Anywho, it was also sort of cool to go there and be around other New Yorkers and just enjoy the city... I'm starting to wonder if it's just certain spots of the city that are overrun with tourists (i.e. Midtown which has generally always been touristy but esp. since about 2007 or so), or if it's just that the damn hipsters are taking over or what, but it seems like I see tourists now in spots that they never appeared before and far more tourists than actual New Yorkers.

lol... Well I don't like it that quiet, but my idea of "busy" is walking home from the express bus and seeing folks around Riverdale walking their dogs.  After around 20:30 or so the main Avenues (Riverdale Avenue & Johnson Avenues) become rather dead as we don't have much night life here and that's just the way I prefer it.  For that there's the city, though you'll always see young folks walking about in the area at night with the university apartments and such here (i.e. Columbia University) and a lot of folks take the yellow taxis up from the city since it's a quick ride up the Henry Hudson Parkway.

That's interesting though... I can recall even as a teenager, me and my friends we'd go to the Village (this was back in the 90's when the Village wasn't so "hip" and in yet)  <_< and you had the metal heads walking around and all of the cool CD and heavy metal t-shirt stores about. \m/

Anywho, it was also sort of cool to go there and be around other New Yorkers and just enjoy the city... I'm starting to wonder if it's just certain spots of the city that are overrun with tourists (i.e. Midtown which has generally always been touristy but esp. since about 2007 or so), or if it's just that the damn hipsters are taking over or what, but it seems like I see tourists now in spots that they never appeared before and far more tourists than actual New Yorkers.

Around my area, there's pretty much little night life except on weekends or holidays... Can't stand it when my neighbors party all night... <_<  I'm laughing right now remembering last July 4th... Around those days, it was non stop fireworks... It's bad enough I can't sleep too good...

Like tourists, there are also many hipsters popping up everywhere...

Not much of a metal head but I do admit there is some pretty catchy metal tunes out there!

Around my area, there's pretty much little night life except on weekends or holidays... Can't stand it when my neighbors party all night... <_<  I'm laughing right now remembering last July 4th... Around those days, it was non stop fireworks... It's bad enough I can't sleep too good...

Like tourists, there are also many hipsters popping up everywhere...

Not much of a metal head but I do admit there is some pretty catchy metal tunes out there!

lol... Even in the Bronx??  Brooklyn has some hip areas and easy access to the subway and parts of Queens too, but the Bronx isn't really that hip.  The parts not by the subway like parts of Throggs Neck are nice but out of the way with limited transportation aside from the express bus and hipsters like places with subways near by.  That's why Riverdale will never become too hip because we like things quiet and there are no subways up here.  :D

So I guess I was under the impression that folks in the outerboroughs came to the city more often but I guess I was wrong.  Thinking about it now there were folks that would be on the express bus on Staten Island like acted as if they had never been to the city before...  <_<

lol... Even in the Bronx??  Brooklyn has some hip areas and easy access to the subway and parts of Queens too, but the Bronx isn't really that hip.  The parts not by the subway like parts of Throggs Neck are nice but out of the way with limited transportation aside from the express bus and hipsters like places with subways near by.  That's why Riverdale will never become too hip because we like things quiet and there are no subways up here.  :D

So I guess I was under the impression that folks in the outerboroughs came to the city more often but I guess I was wrong.  Thinking about it now there were folks that would be on the express bus on Staten Island like acted as if they had never been to the city before...  <_<

From what I've seen, Parts of Fordham RD does have hipsters... Mainly east of GC... I don't go to Fordham RD much... It's one of the few places I avoid if I don't have to go over there... Hate crowded places...

I don't go much to other boroughs but I like to go to Queens... I love Flushing Meadows-Corona Park... Such a beautiful place... Manhattan would be up there in terms of places I like to go to... Specifically midtown...

From what I've seen, Parts of Fordham RD does have hipsters... Mainly east of GC... I don't go to Fordham RD much... It's one of the few places I avoid if I don't have to go over there... Hate crowded places...

I don't go much to other boroughs but I like to go to Queens... I love Flushing Meadows-Corona Park... Such a beautiful place... Manhattan would be up there in terms of places I like to go to... Specifically midtown...

lol... Hipsters in the Boogie Down Bronx...  :lol:

I've seen many people from New York down here. Not too long ago I ran into a guy who is Italian at the 7eleven that I usually go to down the street from where I live. He's from Brooklyn. Even one of the store clerks at the 7eleven is from New York. There are even bus drivers here from New York and New Jersey. I've been running into people from New York a lot lately. A good number of my cousins have now moved down here. It's like some people are saying, New York City is getting expensive to live in. 

I've seen many people from New York down here. Not too long ago I ran into a guy who is Italian at the 7eleven that I usually go to down the street from where I live. He's from Brooklyn. Even one of the store clerks at the 7eleven is from New York. There are even bus drivers here from New York and New Jersey. I've been running into people from New York a lot lately. A good number of my cousins have now moved down here. It's like some people are saying, New York City is getting expensive to live in. 

Hey got a bunch of former residents from the (5) boros here in Hudson Valley as well. Don't forget the Poconos as well. Thus I am Not surprised former new Yorkers are in the Tampa area as well. Other "hot" spot for transplanted new Yorkers around the country include 1)Miami 2)LA/Southern Calif. 3)Va. Beach/Norfolk area 4)North Carolina.

Huh, I was just thinking today how MANY NYers I've been seeing around, running into people I know all over the place, etc. If you're in Midtown, etc., then obviously that's touristy, but I've been seeing almost all NYers in Harlem and the Village recently (the two areas I'm around the most). Even some relatively touristy spots like Washington Square and 125th I've been seeing almost all locals. Odd. Obviously, outside of the city, it's not even a question.

This is the problem, that people come to the city and go to Times Square, and ONLY Times Square. I avoid that place like the plague, have zero attraction to it.

I took the ferry today (just missed it by a minute thanks to construction on Richmond Terrace :angry: ), and there were a ton of tourists on-board. I saw a bunch of them lined up outside one of those doors where you can make your way to the ferry, and I asked somebody "Did we just miss it, or are they waiting to open the doors?", and she responded that they were waiting to open the doors. So I wait around for a couple of minutes, and I'm like "When the hell are they going to open them up?". So eventually, I ask somebody else, and they say the ferry left at 2PM (which was odd because I didn't hear the horn), and I felt like smacking the woman upside the head.

But in any case, I'd say a good 2/3 of the people or more on the boat were just tourists. (Which makes me wonder if that woman was a tourist or what was up with her).

This is the problem, that people come to the city and go to Times Square, and ONLY Times Square. I avoid that place like the plague, have zero attraction to it.

I don't only go to Times Square although I see what you mean though... Times Square is a big tourist trap... That reminds me, I've never been to a Broadway show and I don't plan too...

I've been to 34th street, I've gone to that LIRR yard on the westside, Gone to Central Park many times... Hell I've been in the financial district on occasion to accompany a friend of mine down there... Most of those locations I haven't been too in a while I will admit...

I don't only go to Times Square although I see what you mean though... Times Square is a big tourist trap... That reminds me, I've never been to a Broadway show and I don't plan too...

I've been to 34th street, I've gone to that LIRR yard on the westside, Gone to Central Park many times... Hell I've been in the financial district on occasion to accompany a friend of mine down there... Most of those locations I haven't been too in a while I will admit...

Actually depending on what It is, a broadway show can be fun. Granted it mortage type expensive now but still worth going my young friend at least 1x.

FYI. There TXTS that sells Bway shows on same day as performernce at least 25% off.

Actually depending on what It is, a broadway show can be fun. Granted it mortage type expensive now but still worth going my young friend at least 1x.

FYI. There TXTS that sells Bway shows on same day as performernce at least 25% off.

Thanks for the recommendation! Although I'm not really that type of person who would watch shows/plays... I don't even go to see movies at the theater... I'm not really a movie person...

Huh, I was just thinking today how MANY NYers I've been seeing around, running into people I know all over the place, etc. If you're in Midtown, etc., then obviously that's touristy, but I've been seeing almost all NYers in Harlem and the Village recently (the two areas I'm around the most). Even some relatively touristy spots like Washington Square and 125th I've been seeing almost all locals. Odd. Obviously, outside of the city, it's not even a question.

I dunno about that because even the Village is more trendy and touristy IMO...

I dunno about that because even the Village is more trendy and touristy IMO...

Oh it's definitely getting way more touristy; summers in Washington Square used to be all (stoned) New Yorkers, now you probably have more Europeans than anything. But right now, when the tourists still aren't on their summer trips and the college kids are still here, I'd say it's pretty much locals.

Oh it's definitely getting way more touristy; summers in Washington Square used to be all (stoned) New Yorkers, now you probably have more Europeans than anything. But right now, when the tourists still aren't on their summer trips and the college kids are still here, I'd say it's pretty much locals.

lol... Well it's hard to say because even when the tourists aren't down there the preppy NYU kids don't feel like New Yorkers (at least some of them anyway).  I remember my NYU tour a few years ago when I was heavily considering quitting my job and going back to grad school (still may do that too to become a Speech Pathologist) there were so many damn out of towners on campus that it was nauseating... There's a ton of 'em in the Union Square Whole Foods and then I see them on the NYU campus and it all makes sense... 

Man I miss those days in HS. Telling you that was it's heyday when things were good in that part of Manhattan during that time, also SoHo. All the weekends of fun with friends I had there. Could'nt hit the bars though, too young lol, but did get into some of the clubs. (Fake ID lol dont leave home without it.....)

I think it's actually more the hipsters, coming from out of state moving in and taking over. Is'nt that what ruined the original vibe of the village in the first place? It was'nt like this in the 90's at all!

Man I miss those days in HS. Telling you that was it's heyday when things were good in that part of Manhattan during that time, also SoHo. All the weekends of fun with friends I had there. Could'nt hit the bars though, too young lol, but did get into some of the clubs. (Fake ID lol dont leave home without it.....)

I think it's actually more the hipsters, coming from out of state moving in and taking over. Is'nt that what ruined the original vibe of the village in the first place? It was'nt like this in the 90's at all!

lol... Yeah the Village was for anyone BUT regular folks... Basically all of your outcasts and rebels... Metal heads like me and my buddies for example... When we were teenagers, we'd all hop on the express from Sheepshead Bay and head to the Village... Our snack spot was Gray's Papaya before heading back on the (B)... I think I started noticing "normal" folks as I would come there during college breaks and shop for metal CD's and t-shirts... I'm like wait a minute?? These folks aren't outcasts... They're actually normal folks and rather preppy to boot... What are they doing down here???  <_<

Once Coney Island High went and they started building fancy condos, that was pretty much the end of the Village as I knew it growing up.

Archived