Where are all of the New Yorkers at?

Via Garibaldi 8

Oh it's definitely getting way more touristy; summers in Washington Square used to be all (stoned) New Yorkers, now you probably have more Europeans than anything. But right now, when the tourists still aren't on their summer trips and the college kids are still here, I'd say it's pretty much locals.

Washington Square park, oh yeah...... was there alot during High School. My girl back then was really into the gothic thing while I was dressed hip hop down with the cross coulors, guess geans and then the polo and nautica wear. Raves and all.

@ VG8: Yep I was a true rebel in my teen years.  

But there is a time to grow up and clean up your act for the working world and adulthood along with the responsibilities, so I did, but I can't help but remenisce for a sec......

From what I've seen, Parts of Fordham RD does have hipsters... Mainly east of GC... I don't go to Fordham RD much... It's one of the few places I avoid if I don't have to go over there... Hate crowded places...

Probably has a lot to do with Fordham University over there.

On city-data, some people mention hipsters in Mott Haven. It's probably the same few people over and over again. :P

On city-data, some people mention hipsters in Mott Haven. It's probably the same few people over and over again. :P

That sounds about right... Some hipsters hang near the university... Also by that library on Kingsbridge RD...

Yeah there's hipsters in that area @ Fordham but not as much as in other areas of NYC. Remember that Little Italy is right there, it starts only blocks from Fordham University. Most of the people there are much more conservative, it's rare to see hipsters in tjhose areas. Going southwest past Westchester has a higher Latino population, again a rarity to see hipsters in those areas too. But overall, it's a very diverse area in the Bronx.

Where are all of the New Yorkers at?

Somewhere between earning a living & looking to get the hell up outta here....

-----------

Drollness aside, yeah, this city is crawling with tourists, hipsters, and transients.... It's gotten to the point to where whenever I'm walking around in manhattan (at least), the majority of the people in sight fall into one of those 3 categories.....

• 2 weeks later...

+3 @VG8

Last time I went to the city (December Break) all of my friends came along too, so i had to tourist-y stuff, and I wanted to DIE. (Actually, the Empire State Building was actually pretty cool) Jesus, pretty much everywhere between 8th and 5th, from 60th to 40th is nothing but tourists. Granted, I know that's the city's busiest time of the year, but this was inexcusable. I didn't see a single person who appeared to be a native NY'er. (And with good reason) They really need to do something about all of those tourists. I had to navigate my way through 6th Ave and that was..... Needless to say, there was definitely a reason why everyone in my family (including me) never went below 60th at all costs when we lived in the city. (Even outside of winter break, there's still far too many tourists. Maybe we all wouldn't be so "bitchy" if we didn't have to deal with all of them)

And I also agree about the city changing as a whole.... Back in (October?) my class went on a trip to Columbia University, and our bus went through Washington Heights. Well over half of the stores and whatnot were there when I left a few years ago. TBH, it was kind of upsetting, and is one of the few reasons I want to stay up here for High School....

Somewhere between earning a living & looking to get the hell up outta here....

-----------

Drollness aside, yeah, this city is crawling with tourists, hipsters, and transients.... It's gotten to the point to where whenever I'm walking around in manhattan (at least), the majority of the people in sight fall into one of those 3 categories.....

lol... Yep... I was in a similar situation yesterday traveling in the city... (L) was full of hipsters... The (A) and (C) trains that I was on had many tourists, some hipsters and few actual New Yorkers who looked like they lived in the city (maybe Harlem) but that was about it, which you have to really think about because back in the old days, the 8th Avenue line was not a line that folks just hopped on gleefully, esp. since 8th Avenue itself had a reputation for being seedy, which is still true to a degree but with all of the tourists and hipsters about has sort of become a watered down situation if you will.

+3 @VG8

Last time I went to the city (December Break) all of my friends came along too, so i had to tourist-y stuff, and I wanted to DIE. (Actually, the Empire State Building was actually pretty cool) Jesus, pretty much everywhere between 8th and 5th, from 60th to 40th is nothing but tourists. Granted, I know that's the city's busiest time of the year, but this was inexcusable. I didn't see a single person who appeared to be a native NY'er. (And with good reason) They really need to do something about all of those tourists. I had to navigate my way through 6th Ave and that was..... Needless to say, there was definitely a reason why everyone in my family (including me) never went below 60th at all costs when we lived in the city. (Even outside of winter break, there's still far too many tourists. Maybe we all wouldn't be so "bitchy" if we didn't have to deal with all of them)

And I also agree about the city changing as a whole.... Back in (October?) my class went on a trip to Columbia University, and our bus went through Washington Heights. Well over half of the stores and whatnot were'nt* there when I left a few years ago. TBH, it was kind of upsetting, and is one of the few reasons I want to stay up here for High School....

I can say the same about Paris, sometimes especially the weekend, I really wonder where are Parisians in Central Paris.

The streets with office workers and students in the week are dominated by people wearing beret and cameras the weekend (note, wearing a beret in Paris = tourist).

More English, Spanish, German, Italian than French speaking people in the street and even the people speaking French are tourists.

If there wasn't the teenagers from the suburbs there wouldn't be any local in the Champs Elysées.

While there is still some locals in Boulevard Saint Michel (chaine stores), the little pedestrain streets of Latin district around have become an area dominated by tourists with almost no locals. It is true that these streets that were dominated by greek restaurants 10-15 years ago are now full of trap touristy restaurants.

I can say the same about Paris, sometimes especially the weekend, I really wonder where are Parisians in Central Paris.

The streets with office workers and students in the week are dominated by people wearing beret and cameras the weekend (note, wearing a beret in Paris = tourist).

More English, Spanish, German, Italian than French speaking people in the street and even the people speaking French are tourists.

If there wasn't the teenagers from the suburbs there wouldn't be any local in the Champs Elysées.

While there is still some locals in Boulevard Saint Michel (chaine stores), the little pedestrain streets of Latin district around have become an area dominated by tourists with almost no locals. It is true that these streets that were dominated by greek restaurants 10-15 years ago are now full of trap touristy restaurants.

Yeah I'm not sure if it's an issue of the tourists and foreigners buying up the expensive parts of the city or what but it is strange.

• 5 years later...

Archived