That Split Q G.O. / Weekday Late Nights

Brighton Local

I would be using the southbound (Prospect Park-bound) side of Botanic Garden anyway for this.  That's the side where they should extend the platform ideally to AT LEAST 300' (and if possible, 600') so in an emegency, if they need to splt the (Q) and can't use the tunnel between Prospect Park and DeKalb, they can have the (Q) run a short route between Botanic Garden (where it can connect with the (2)(3)(4)(5) ) and Coney Island.  It's also the only way to get to the Coney Island-bound track at Prospect Park anyway, so it would make sense to do that while in such a situation, the regular Franklin shuttle is shortened to between Botanic Garden and Franklin Avenue.

OK fine, cool.

But that will detract from the (Q) being a very necessary 24 hour express service needed because the (B) does not run on late nights or weekends. That service is essential for rides into the outskirts of Flatbush and other areas such as Sheepshead Bay and CI, the MTA has that set up along with the (D) as well as the (F) as well, as 24 hr around the clock express services because of a common strategy relating to yard assignments and needed service along these BMT and IND lines. I would imagine the planners along with feedback from the dispatchers and the TSS's vouched to have the schedules set up that way for a reason.

Besides, the (S) service. Right?

Yes I'm stating this as a no name straphanger. I'm going to debate this regardless....

After much thought and reading all these posts about the (Q) to Botanic Gardens, here's my condensed soup of thoughts:

• The (Q) will go to Atlantic Avenue for as long as the tunnel and one track works because:
    • People will not be forced to choose either 7 Avenue or Lexington Avenue service when they have these options at Atlantic Avenue anyway and also the 6 Avenue, Broadway, and Long Island Railroad services.
    • There will be no extra transfers needed at Atlantic Avenue and Franklin Avenue. We all know what transfers are like in the middle of the night and every transfer is just more trouble.
    • No extra money will be spent on overnight (2), (3), (4) and (5) service.
    • No extra money will be spent on extending the Botanic Gardens' platform(s) which will only see maximum use during a time of minimal activity.
  • If the (Q) cannot use the tunnel between DeKalb Avenue and Prospect Park, extend the (Q) to Botanic Gardens.
    • As a prerequisite, the Botanic Gardens' southbound platform must be extended to accommodate longer trains. It's a one-time expense to build and incurs minimal ongoing expenses.
    • (4) service should be increased since it follows the (Q)'s route closely from Union Square to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
    • (4) trains will serve (Q) passengers at Union Square, Canal Street, Nevins Street, Atlantic Avenue, Bergen Street, and Grand Army Plaza.
    • (2), (3), and (5) service will remain the same since the (2) and (3) have little in common with the (Q) and would not provide a meaningful alternative to (Q) passengers and the (5) would be duplicating the (4) from Grand Concourse to Franklin Avenue anyway.
    • Franklin Avenue (S) service should be shortened since the (Q) effectively replaces the shuttle between Botanic Gardens and Prospect Park.
    • And in my opinion, (Q) service should be suspended in Manhattan with all the money budgeted for increased (4) service instead.

The (7) stopping at 74 Street–Broadway seems to be important enough to warrant moving an entire set of switches… I wonder what's holding this up.

74th Street interlocking is above ground, and Fisk interlocking needed to be replaced anyway. Atlantic is underground, and there are structural columns between the tracks.

74th Street interlocking is above ground, and Fisk interlocking needed to be replaced anyway. Atlantic is underground, and there are structural columns between the tracks.

So you're saying that between 7 Avenue and Atlantic Avenue, there is a continuous (unbroken) line of columns partitioning the two tracks…

^^^^^ He pretty much blew the top of the roof with this post. That pretty much ends the discussion.

I hope.....

Nope. Doesn't look like it anymore.

So you're saying that between 7 Avplenty nd Atlantic Avenue, theRt he re is a continuous (unbroken) line of columns partitioning the two tracks…

There is break in the central support beams north of 7th ave, its about 100ft long which is plenty for diamond crossover.

So you're saying that between 7 Avenue and Atlantic Avenue, there is a continuous (unbroken) line of columns partitioning the two tracks…

I'm not an expert on this particular line segment, but aside from locations of existing and former crossovers, and a small number of provisions for future crossovers, there is generally a column between tracks every 15 feet.

There is break in the central support beams north of 7th ave, its about 100ft long which is plenty for diamond crossover.

If that's true, then, yes, a crossover could probably be added here. There'd also need to be a lot of signal work, including the installation of a brand new interlocking to be tied into DeKalb Master Tower. The signals in this area are pretty new - dating from the 80's or 90's, I think - so you'd have to make a very strong case for it.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, time definitely is money. Spending extra money may not be the number one choice in mind at times but if it get the job done quicker then sometimes you'll have to.

Since I started taking evening classes that end at almost 10:00 I don't even bother dealing with the S62 > S53 > (R) if I know I'm not going to get out of class after 9:30. I hate dealing with the (R) after 10:30 because the shuttles to 36th Street begin around then and waiting for the (D) or (N) is another hassle. I just take the X10 right out front of CSI and catch the (A) in Lower Manhattan...worst case scenario is if the (A) is rerouted  via the (F) after West Fourth Street, then I'll catch the (A) there instead of at Fulton Street.

To Zach...I was going to suggest taking the X27 or X28 to Brooklyn but the last buses leave 57th/Third at 11:30, an hour before you get off. So that's out of the question.

I think the last X27 is currently 1230am.. as of NOW.

Archived