Teen Struck, Killed by Subway Train on UWS: Police

trainspot12

I was just looking at the Gothamist online and some of the comments made about kids that age being young and bulletproof made me sick to my stomach. As a youngster raised in Appomattox Virginia of all places, I lived under a set of rules, curfew time and the like until I was 18. Before i was moved to Virginia i remember my first grade teacher from Catholic School who smashed the back of my hand with a ruler for doing something bad to which i never did again. Parents who care set these rules for benefit and safety of their children to which if these rules are broken, TV is gone, Car is gone, stereo is gone, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Parents nowadays want to be children's best friends and I would not be surprised if this incident was the end result

I was just looking at the Gothamist online and some of the comments made about kids that age being young and bulletproof made me sick to my stomach. As a youngster raised in Appomattox Virginia of all places, I lived under a set of rules, curfew time and the like until I was 18. Before i was moved to Virginia i remember my first grade teacher from Catholic School who smashed the back of my hand with a ruler for doing something bad to which i never did again. Parents who care set these rules for benefit and safety of their children to which if these rules are broken, TV is gone, Car is gone, stereo is gone, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Parents nowadays want to be children's best friends and I would not be surprised if this incident was the end result

And how exactly is the young man's upbringing relevant to the incident that led to his death? He was outside his home, with his friends, and nearing the age of 18. His parents had nothing to do with the situation. Anyone can argue against this but the truth is he was perfectly capable of making decisions for himself. He made the wrong one and he died because of it, that's life.

The last thing anyone should do is chastise the parents as they only have so much control over a consenting individual.

Parents teach kids the basics too: Look both ways before crossing the street, never get in a car with a stranger, stay away from drugs and alcohol, practical application of basic stuff. If they did everything to teach this young man how to stand on his own two feet, fine. They did what they were supposed to do and I feel bad for them, I just hope they don't plan on bringing up a lawsuit cause that will really get my blood boiling given what just happened

Oh my god imagine trying to cross 135 St (A)(B)(C)... I am sure some dumbass has done it before.

But I agree, he did deserve what he got. Why would he even try to cross, assuming he saw and or heard the train coming?

Honestly, he might've lived trying to cross that station. Although it's six tracks wide, there are two lay-up tracks and two relatively slow express tracks. The greatest threat to get hit there would be the locals.

All good points but the parents NEED to be close with their children and form those parent to child or teen bonds, or else the results will be disasterous. Granted I'm not a dad (yet) but I know if you neglect your children, THEN stuff like you seen here will happen due to lack of parental guidance. That's something that many kids who are from wealthy or poor families alike end up falling victim to -- lack of parental love and guidance. If it actually happens and i become a father, I will make sure I am there for my kids, and not have them subject to the fiery trials I went through as a teen.

I think this young man's actions are not due to parents wanting to be their 'best friend' but more because of lack of love, attantion, and the instilling of discipline where needed. If this man would have had this sort of parental support he could have been alive today albeit with one less fare in is pocket, a small price to pay in comparision to losing his life over an idiotic mistake just to impress his peers that could'nt give two shits about him anyway.

I'm pretty sure his 'pals' egged him on to do such a crazy stunt and looked what happened. He would'nt had done this on his own if he was in sound mental health otherwise which I am assuming. If he was really THAT intoxicated his 'buddies' should had taken care of him. My boys did many times when I was as young as him and totally wrecked from a hard night of partying. The story does'nt fit so I'm reading between the lines here and I believe with the clues RTOMan gave that might have been what really happened.

Oh If only he'd just pay the second fare...

I know. Hindsight is 20/20, in this case 6 feet under.

I like what you said right there about discipline. My main concern is that it's young people that because of their actions end up in a terrible situation such as this can not just affect themselves, but everyone else around them, you or me included.

Quite frankly this whole thing with people getting hit by trains (????) simply must stop. And the way things are going, it can't be awareness. More like an awakening. Something along the lines of Operation Lifesaver with cars/trucks and train crossings

Happy 18th birthday.

Yet another person to come to the city from the suburbs to do something stupid... Isn't the first, won't be the last...

He paid for his choice of stupidity with his life... Good for him.... And some friends of his they turned out to be....

What do they do with the people on the Express Train?  How do they get them out of there?  This really was a stupid thing to do.  

I read in a news article that the lights went off for an hour and waited instructions from the MTA. I think they sent a rescue train and sent them downtown.

My thoughts go out to those thousands of people stranded and affected in the subway because of this dumbass.  Some of them might've been late to work, appointments, dates, or any other obligations they had because of this one stupid kid.  There's absolutely no excuse of any kind for crossing the tracks ever.

Back in junior year of HS, we had a field trip where we went to the CI rail yard, where we did a drill of sorts where we walked from one train to another (also learned how to use a fire extinguisher that day - which reminds me, I gotta shake my extinguisher when I get home tonight, don't want that stuff inside to get stuck; rendering it useless)....

Anyway, the train we were originally on filled up with smoke all of a sudden.... and the instructor then directed us what to do if a real situation were to arise - He kept reinforcing - do not panic & stay calm (one girl fainted & thought the train really caught fire).... The rest of us walked from the one train to the adjacent train by way of a couple strips of wood (I remember hitting my head, lol.... but the whole thing was still a cool [and more importantly, a learning] experience).....

Back in junior year of HS, we had a field trip where we went to the CI rail yard, where we did a drill of sorts where we walked from one train to another (also learned how to use a fire extinguisher that day - which reminds me, I gotta shake my extinguisher when I get home tonight, don't want that stuff inside to get stuck; rendering it useless)....

Anyway, the train we were originally on filled up with smoke all of a sudden.... and the instructor then directed us what to do if a real situation were to arise - He kept reinforcing - do not panic & stay calm (one girl fainted & thought the train really caught fire).... The rest of us walked from the one train to the adjacent train by way of a couple strips of wood (I remember hitting my head, lol.... but the whole thing was still a cool [and more importantly, a learning] experience).....

That sounds like an awesome field trip! Although I suspect a bunch of lawsuits could come out of it if something went wrong. I never heard of this kind of trip before. 

Wow that must have been a unique experience. You must have been going to a well renowned HS with an excellent staff with plenty of funding from the DOE. (Did you attend a private school or a public high school? Even private schools recieving partial funding from the DOE I just found out from a teacher from my last contract with the DOE before moving on to a new firm working now with the NYSE).

Man wish I had that opportunity, I envy you, lol.

Archived