LARGE PHOTOS - A look at transit in Bratislava

So I've been looking through some of my older files and found a ton of photos taken in Bratislava, of trams and trolley/buses. Since European systems are held to a high esteem here, I figured I'd post some photos. Two are from 2005 when I was living there, the rest are from 2008.

I will be heading down here this summer so more photos will be posted then.

000024.jpg

000029.jpg

0639.jpg

2339.jpg

2368.jpg

2379.jpg

2380.jpg

(The sign says 'break')

2386.jpg

0555.jpg

0570.jpg

0589.jpg

0594.jpg

2308.jpg

2315.jpg

2411.jpg

0622.jpg

0853.jpg

0665.jpg

0635.jpg

0646.jpg

1347.jpg

And this is for those suffering from the delusion that European systems are kept pristine 100% of the time...

0576.jpg

2337.jpg

(Every time I see graffiti I feel a strong urge to club somebody, preferably the lowlife who did it. x100 if on transit vehicles. <_<:angry::angry: )

Those were my select photos. To see all of them go here: http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=274830

As a bonus, here is a GO Transit cab car prior to being rebuilt. Very glad I found this photo.

dsc01455.jpg

Nice pictures and very large as you said.

The modern looking green tram are a new stock or refurbished cars ?

Thanks!

I'm assuming you are referring to 7107, the one with 'break' on its destination sign. It is a refurbished unit - what it looked like in its original form can be found in photos of 7076 and 7084. No such units of that variety exist - all the articulated ones are either retired or heavily modernized (thankfully, I got photos of them). Luckily, two historical units remain. 7085 is also a modernized unit, but retains much of its original heritage, thank God. Sadly, it does not run on many full time routes (no clue why), and the photo I took of it above was because of celebrations occurring that day, and they brought it out of the carhouse, along with some older stock.

I had the choice of riding either the very old streetcar or 7085 that day, and I went with 7085 :lol: I did get photos of the older one though.

Thank you ! 

This is what I figured because while the front is very modern, sides seem more ancient in design. 
I know that in some Eastern European countries they do big refurbishment of old train stocks. I saw pictures the incredible transformation of old Polish suburban trains into  modern looking trains.
In Western Europe, the refurbishment is mostly inside with very few change at the exterior.

lol... This is Eastern Europe, not Western Europe and in the East, their transit systems aren't as elegant, nor efficient as in the West.... You want to see elegant and efficient, go to Switzerland, Belgium or Germany. 

Might not be the most elegant system but it does its job and does it well, there's no question about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived