A Few R15 Photographs "Back in the Day"

Earle Baldwin

Here are a few views of some of the R15 cars which were still in service while I was photographing IRT operations in the Bronx during the mid 80's. All three are Broadway/Seventh Avenue locals.

(231st St. Station 9/22/84)

nyct5970arc.jpg

(238th St. Station 10/4/84)

nyct6201arc.jpg

(231st St. Station 9/22/84)

nyct6208arc.jpg

Enjoy!

Regards,

Earle

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm glad you're enjoying the pictures. I'm happy to share them with others as opposed to letting them sit in their metal cases in the train room without being seen.

The pictures were taken with a standard lens. The gentleman who scanned the slides will sometimes crop them.

Thanks again. I appreciate the opportunity to participate here.

Earle

Hi, R32.

I'm sorry I don't have any R62 photos. I was concentrating on getting the older generation of equipment at the time.

New Jersey T:

The contrast between then and now is certainly interesting. I believe a combination of improved security and materials more resistant to vandalism are responsible for today's cleaner appearance. Having been discouraged, I think the same clowns who used to do this crap in the subway are now the ones defacing freight cars.

Regards,

Earle

• 1 year later...
it must have been cool to ride it back in the 80's...like during hip hops early years..

Hmmmm that have nothing to do with hip-hop. Hip-hop may have started in the 80's, but still have nothing to do with tagging trains.....it was about who had the best tags and/or graffiti. Buy or rent the movie called "Beat Street", it will give you a better understanding!

Betcha back then they'd never imagine a system dominated by generally clean high tech trains in a little over 20 years. And to think today there are people who pass up R-62s and wait for the next NTT. Glad they put an end to those horrendous days, certainly not art as far as I'm concerned.

I think I have seen that movie yeah i was thinking if it was breakin' but yeah thats the movie where the dude and the " spit " die on the third rail...dam, i always thought the graffiti movement was associated with early hiphop...or atleast the culture

Great pics... I just can't stand that graffiti... *disgusted* Those people really need to get a life... instead of tagging cars or buildings they could find something else to do...

Yes, people may die on the 3rd rail if they attempted Graffiti these days...

Actually, I saw a Hippo on the B at 34th Street today. It got a hit, and I am sure it was recent. How would you explain that?

Archived