Cannot access forum through Verizon Internet

Quill Depot

Question

Another member here and I are having issues accessing these forums (page does not load), and we both have FIOS and live in the NYC area. I asked on Verizon's help forum and got this:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/I-m-having-problems-accessing-a-site-only-on-FIOS/m-p/557015

I have no idea what a bogon filter is? Is there anything on this side that can be done? Thanks.

21 answers to this question

I highly doubt it may be Verizon's fault on this one.  I used FiOS at my friend's house and came to this forum with no problems.  To double check things further, I've connected from work numerous times with no problems as well.

I'm working for Verizon FYI as well.  I actually never encountered a problem or gotten a call like this before either.  The solution may work in this thread, but the solution from the Verizon forum looks promising as well.  I only say that because it seems some other members with FiOS here and myself are having NO problems as you and one more other are.  The ratio is off to blame FiOS in this case.  If the IP renew doesn't work or hard resetting the modem doesn't, it's hardly Verizon's fault.  It is either something with the forum's software or your firewall interfering.

That's my 2 cents and probably how I would have handled this if I have gotten a call. But usually it's the same old, my internet doesn't work calls I usually get.

I had been into the router settings before, and I've fiddled connections here and there because I've had to open ports and allow connections and what not. But the release DHCP button is so hidden in the router settings that I would have never found it. Way to go for FiOs and Actiontec to make user-friendly software for a router.

^^^^^^^Excellent Brett. Nice.

I saw the post with the breakthrough solution. I'm going to bookmark that link for my future reference in case I run into this problem with clients in the future on the job. This is good to know. That's what many techs got to do many times even as CenSin alluded in another thread in the Computers and Technology section in the Off Topic Lounge. Many times when stumped techs and programmers gotta hit the forums and do the research, and as the famous saying goes, Google's your best friend when it comes to trouble shooting.

Mission accomplished.

I'm BACK AND ONLINE PERFECTLY! Okay, here's what I did, and Quill, if you still need help, these directions are the last post in the thread you posted on FiOs forums. I went into the router settings (192.168.1.1), released my DHCP and immediately turned off my router. I kept it off for a period of 20 minutes that I timed with my phone, then turned the router on, hoping for the best and it worked. Essentially, what this did was what realizm was talking about and creating new IP addresses for my network. There was no way in hell that I was gonna keep my router off for a longer time like others suggested.

Well, I'm back at my Dad's house and it works fine there. Only at my moms house.

Yeah call Verizon customer support, and have a helpdesk tech connect via remote desktop and fix the IP block. Highly doubt it has anything to do with this site. Harry already fixed all the bugs to a tee with his programming skills so that can't be it.

Either he (helpdesk tech) may do a tracert via command prompt to see what's going on and reassign you a new IP address or do it here:

images deleted to save space

I'm back at home, so I cant call from here.

I'm the other user having this problem. No, it is Verizon's fault, because its happened to me on my own website in the past where I've been locked out after maintenance and stuck for days. Verizon suggested for Harry to clear his bogon list, but I'm not even sure what the f**k that is. Anyway, the reason Quill and I are locked out is probably because, on our networks, this site is one of them that we visit most often, and our browser grabs new information so often that we get blocked out. Realizm, what you suggested, resets the IP on the network, but in our case, the entire network is blocked out of the site which is why I have to use my phone's LTE network or a proxy to access this. I can't just go to another computer in my household. I did restart my router for about 2 minutes, but that apparently wasn't enough according to Verizon's technicians. Supposedly, if I go offline for 30 minutes or more, and leave my router off, I will gain a new IP address from Verizon then. These problems could also mean that Quill and I may have to replace the FiOs boxes installed into the households, but thats a last resort. I'll see how this goes tonight.

Geez that's not good. I've heard staying offline 60 minutes with the power off on the router is ideal to fix the issue. 

A bogon is an unauthorized IPv6 (or IPv4) IP address that have not yet been allocated by IANA. (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority). That creates problems as these IP address prefixes are not usable and valid as of yet for the internet. It is then compiled as a list for the purpose of filtering out supposed unauthorized addresses causing IP blocks. If the bogon list is cleared that will solve the problem on the server end with the ISP.  (I know, I'm just as confused even trying to explain this) I believe that's how it works according to what little clues I am getting from the Verizon site page that Quill posted so don't quote me on this. Actually Harry as the sensei of the IT professionals on this site, as well as peacemak3r, rr4567, SevenEleven, or CenSin and others should know about this alot better then you and I do as techs ourselves. But that's what my understanding of this problem is and why as we are discussing this down to the nail and wire.

Yeah try it. Stay offline for 60 minutes if you did'nt do so already.

I'm the other user having this problem. No, it is Verizon's fault, because its happened to me on my own website in the past where I've been locked out after maintenance and stuck for days. Verizon suggested for Harry to clear his bogon list, but I'm not even sure what the f**k that is.

Anyway, the reason Quill and I are locked out is probably because, on our networks, this site is one of them that we visit most often, and our browser grabs new information so often that we get blocked out. Realizm, what you suggested, resets the IP on the network, but in our case, the entire network is blocked out of the site which is why I have to use my phone's LTE network or a proxy to access this. I can't just go to another computer in my household. I did restart my router for about 2 minutes, but that apparently wasn't enough according to Verizon's technicians. Supposedly, if I go offline for 30 minutes or more, and leave my router off, I will gain a new IP address from Verizon then.

These problems could also mean that Quill and I may have to replace the FiOs boxes installed into the households, but thats a last resort. I'll see how this goes tonight.

I highly doubt it may be Verizon's fault on this one.  I used FiOS at my friend's house and came to this forum with no problems.  To double check things further, I've connected from work numerous times with no problems as well.

I'm working for Verizon FYI as well.  I actually never encountered a problem or gotten a call like this before either.  The solution may work in this thread, but the solution from the Verizon forum looks promising as well.  I only say that because it seems some other members with FiOS here and myself are having NO problems as you and one more other are.  The ratio is off to blame FiOS in this case.  If the IP renew doesn't work or hard resetting the modem doesn't, it's hardly Verizon's fault.  It is either something with the forum's software or your firewall interfering.

That's my 2 cents and probably how I would have handled this if I have gotten a call. But usually it's the same old, my internet doesn't work calls I usually get.

I don't think it is Verizon's fault. Strangely this happened during the updates. Resetting hasn't worked, and Firewall off hasn't. Forums must be it.

I have restarted the router and my computer but the issue lingers. I'll do it one more time.

Yeah call Verizon customer support, and have a helpdesk tech connect via remote desktop and fix the IP block. Highly doubt it has anything to do with this site. Harry already fixed all the bugs to a tee with his programming skills so that can't be it.

Either he (helpdesk tech) may do a tracert via command prompt to see what's going on and reassign you a new IP address or do it here:

ipaddress.jpg

ipaddress2.jpg

You might have to get a new IP address to get around that problem. It's definitely the filters ISP end. What you could try is get the command prompt going, (type CMD in the run dialogue box) then type:

ipconfig /release

.....then wait for the string of information to run down the command line, then go:

ipconfig /renew

That may force Windows to obtain a new IP address and get around the stupid filter blocking you from the site. No guarantees.

Or:

Reset the router and obtain a new IP address that way.

Or:

Restart your computer

If none of this works, a Verizon helpdesk tech might have to connect to your computer via remote desktop to connect you to a different proxy server in one of the Verizon data centers around the world somewhere. Give them a call.

I think one of these should work... Re-setting the router doesn't take long nor does restarting the computer... Personally I do both when I'm having a problem...

You might have to get a new IP address to get around that problem. It's definitely the filters ISP end. What you could try is get the command prompt going, (type CMD in the run dialogue box) then type:

ipconfig /release

.....then wait for the string of information to run down the command line, then go:

ipconfig /renew

That may force Windows to obtain a new IP address and get around the stupid filter blocking you from the site. No guarantees.

Or:

Reset the router and obtain a new IP address that way.

Or:

Restart your computer

If none of this works, a Verizon helpdesk tech might have to connect to your computer via remote desktop to connect you to a different proxy server in one of the Verizon data centers around the world somewhere. Give them a call.

Archived