Equipment used for 8 Ave service in the 80s including Rockaway Shuttle service

46Dover

I was curious to know if there are any old timers in this group besides myself if it was known what kind of cars was used on the (A), ©/(CC), (AA)/(K), (E), and the Rockaway Shuttles (CC)(A), (H), in the 1980s and if it isn't too much trouble to supply pics. Thanks

I'm not an old timer, but I did do research on this. (A) during the 1980s used the R38s and R44s  The CC/ (C) used a mix of R10s (both fixed up green cars and graffiti), R27/30s (Mostly graffiti cars, but a large number were painted red or rebuilt). During the early 1980s some R46s did run on the (C) as they were having the Rockwell truck issues and these problems were eventually corrected. The (K) used R32s (Pre-GOH) for the service. I think some R42s were used as well. The Rockaway Shuttles used R10s and R30s, especially the (H)

img_63226.jpg

img_108097.jpg

img_2552.jpg

img_4549.jpg

img_24426.jpgimg_2496.jpg

Also here is a video of some action on the subway in 1986. Hope this answered your questions.

I'm not an old timer, but I did do research on this. (A) during the 1980s used the R38s and R44s  The CC/ (C) used a mix of R10s (both fixed up green cars and graffiti), R27/30s (Mostly graffiti cars, but a large number were painted red or rebuilt). During the early 1980s some R46s did run on the (C) as they were having the Rockwell truck issues and these problems were eventually corrected. The (K) used R32s (Pre-GOH) for the service. I think some R42s were used as well. The Rockaway Shuttles used R10s and R30s, especially the (H)

img_63226.jpg

img_108097.jpg

img_2552.jpg

img_4549.jpg

img_24426.jpgimg_2496.jpg

Also here is a video of some action on the subway in 1986. Hope this answered your questions.

3 pointer! Right on the money. As a generation Y dude I have most definitely fanned on these vintage trains as a little booger on these trains. Yes even the R10's on the (C). Can still remember the R42's on the (K). Damn I'm getting old lol, at 35 years of age and still immature.  :P

3 pointer! Right on the money. As a generation Y dude I have most definitely fanned on these vintage trains as a little booger on these trains. Yes even the R10's on the (C). Can still remember the R42's on the (K). Damn I'm getting old lol, at 35 years of age and still immature. :P

Soon we'll be riding R179s with canes lol (just turned 36)

So then what was 207 Street responsible for with what cars and lines?

So then what was 207 Street responsible for with what cars and lines?

Well, 207th was mostly for system-wide maintenance, but sometimes stores (A) , (C) , and maybe (1) train cars.

Back then, the C and H shared a fleet, as did the B and K.

A was R38 and R44, although there were R40s on the A prior to about 1983(When they were swapped to the B for R38s)

B/K was largely R40s. When the manhattan bridge closed, I think they got R32/R42, likely from the D.  

C/H was R10s, then R27/30s

E was generally R46

Apologies for any mistakes... Also, things changed a lot more frequently back then.

When you're making these subway bullets, I guess you can't do the double letters like (AA) or (CC).

Disregard, this is a test (MTA)

When you're making these subway bullets, I guess you can't do the double letters like (AA) or (CC).Disregard, this is a test (MTA)

(M)

I miss the blue stripes....

The blue stripes was the symbol of the MTA, IMO. 

Back then, the C and H shared a fleet, as did the B and K.

A was R38 and R44, although there were R40s on the A prior to about 1983(When they were swapped to the B for R38s)

B/K was largely R40s. When the manhattan bridge closed, I think they got R32/R42, likely from the D.  

C/H was R10s, then R27/30s

E was generally R46

Apologies for any mistakes... Also, things changed a lot more frequently back then.

Art I heard when the bridge was closed R10s as well s 27/30s ran on the (A) during that time period. Did that actually happened?

I miss the blue stripes....

Tell me about it. Particularly the blue stripes on the R46's and even the R40 Slants.

Well, 207th was mostly for system-wide maintenance, but sometimes stores (A) , (C) , and maybe (1) train cars.

Yep. The MTA did not (well could not) assign cars by fleet to it's respective yards like they do today. I guess because of the overall mayhem the MTA was experiencing during their financial troubles in the 1980s with all sorts of mechanical problems with their cars and deteriorating infrastructure. It ws cited that it was so bad that parts of the Els throughout the city was falling into the streets because of deferred maintenance.

Loving that video so far! Makes me appreciate life before me a bit more.

I was born a few years too late for the 1980s, but we do have videos like that, so it's nice and fun to enjoy it. Here is another video taken in 1991. Yeah I know it's not the 1980s, but the equipment from the 1980s that was on the (A) and (C) were still being used. That part of the video in the Rockaways begins at 3:10.

R38s and R44s were on the (A) while the R30s were assigned to the (C). All WH R30s and R27s had been retired in 1990. R10s were gone in 1989. The R30s seen in this video are ones with GE motors in them and had been rebuilt. Sadly they had two more years left. :(

What is the brown train at 8:00 in the first video ?

That is actually red. It's a R29 with GE motors. These ran on the (2) and (5) from the time they were rebuilt in the 1980s until their 2002 retirement. 

Thanks for posting that 105thSt. On the far right of the second image you can see part of a train of Green R10s there. The last year for those cars as they were dwindling slowly. They started retiring the green cars in March of 1989. The rebuilt R40Ms and R42s pushed the rebuilt R30s to the (C), which allowed the replacement of the R10s. 

That is actually red. It's a R29 with GE motors. These ran on the (2) and (5) from the time they were rebuilt in the 1980s until their 2002 retirement. 

I see, this video was taken not long after the refurbishment because the train looks new.

I knew that it wasn't a new train because of the design but I didn't remember of the brown train, obviously because the train is red but look brown because of the video quality ( for an amator footage made during the 80's the quality is great).

I see, this video was taken not long after the refurbishment because the train looks new.

I knew that it wasn't a new train because of the design but I didn't remember of the brown train, obviously because the train is red but look brown because of the video quality ( for an amator footage made during the 80's the quality is great).

Yeah it's good video despite it's quality during that time.

Archived