Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
46Dover

Manhattan Bridge North Side Closure (1986-89?)

While waiting at Times Square for the train to Coney Island in 1986, with my aunt and her boyfriend/kids, I asked what train were we taking. He told me the N. I was excited, I had never been on the Broadway Line before. To my surprise, A (D) train showed up with a train of R42s and rollsigns of 205 Street Bronx-Brighton Beach on it. It was my first trip over the Manhattan Bridge on the train (I was 9). I was wondering how the car/yard assignments were back then since the (B) and (D) were divided during this time

IIRC That (B) and (D) was R68 from 34 Street Herald Square to 205 Street. The (B) in yellow was mostly R40 slant train. This was still running on the West End Line. I dont remember the (D) yellow was but if someone who remember can do that part.

When the service was first split in 1986, it seems they just left anything on either side, but over time separated the equipment. So the 42's all went to 6th Ave. (and the only ones left on the BMT side were the ENY group), and the slants and all but 3 sets of 32's went to CI. When the 68's began arriving, they all went to CI as well. Toward the end of this pattern, when the first 68A's arrived, they went to Concourse.

• Upvote 2

Toward the end of this pattern, when the first 68A's arrived, they went to Concourse.

That part I vaguely remember, plus the assignment of all R40 slants to the (B) via West End. As for the rest, can't recall to save my life what the car assignments were before. That was way back in the days, I was still in 3rd grade or something like that.

Edited by realizm