Legislator Solages Ride the Bus in Response to Compliants

Public Transportation is an important part of our infrastructure!

(Mineola, NY)- On March 14th, 2013, from 6:30am to 4:00pm, Legislator Carrie Solages (D-Elmont), along with Ana Giraldo from Long Island Jobs and Justice, rode the Nassau Inter County Express ("NICE") buses along the N2 and N6 routes. Legislator Solages was also able to ride the bus on several other occasions in the past several months. As the third most frequent request for assistance fielded by his Legislative Office are concerns regardding NICE bus service. Legislator Solages rode the buses himself in order to gain further knowledge for his his constituency. As he learned, whether it's a bus that does not arrive at scheduled stops on time, bus drivers who do not have the proper training or familiarity with bus routes, or machines that do not read or accept MTA MetroCard, Nassau County Bus Riders are frustrated, and rightfully so!

During his travels, Legislator Solages spent the day talking to, and receiving feedback from dozens of commuters who were taking the buses that day. The following topics came up repeatedly during the day: unpredictable and untimely bus service, overcrowding of buses, lack of security for passengers, and issues with the Jamaica and Hempstead Hubs.

Unpredictable and tardy buses were a major concern for many commuters. On the morning of March 14th, with temperatures in the 30's, Legislature Solages waited over 25 minutes for both the N2 and N6 bus connections. He observed several buses arriving approximately 15 minutes late to their respective destinations. Dozens of commuters dependent upon NICE emphasized that this untimely and unpredictable service often resulted in their lateness to their place of employment, and has led to wariness on the part of employers in hiring employees dependent upon NICE for transportation. For student commuters, dependency upon NICE has led to frequent lateness to class at Nassau Community College and other local colleges.

Legislator Solages noted that many buses were overcrowded on the N6 bus route due to an insufficient number of N6 local buses to handle the volume of commuters. More than 20 persons were required to stand on several rides along this route during the course of the day. In addition, many commuters complainted that as there was no longer N6 express stop at Elmont Road and Hempstead Turnpike, the western portion of Elmont has no reliable access to public transportation.

Lack of security on NICE buses is also a major concern for commuters. No security is the main contributor for the smoking and drinking issues on the buses. In addition, commuters complained to Legislator Solages that they saw gang tags and graffiti on the buses. Legislator Solages noted that on all the new NICE buses, there were no audio or visual display messages that stated the location or stop of the bus, in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, harming the many disabled person who ride the buses every day.

The Jamaica and Hempstead transfer/connection hubs were a sore spot for many commuters. Legislator Solages fielded complaints that at the Jamaica hub, there were to few local buses and too many express buses. At the Hempstead hub, the major concerns included lack of personal safety, a request for greater police presence, and a lack of basic sanitary conditions with an overwhelming odor of urine in the early morning hours.

As Legislator Solages related his experience, he stated, "Overall, I found the day to be educational and it helped me relate to the experiences commuters have shared." Shortly after taking this journey, Legislator Solages was notified that additional service was reinstated by NICE on March 20th, 2013; specifically, NICE has restored the N6 express stop at Hempstead Turnpike and Elmont Rd. Legislature Solages stated, "I am pleased our efforts have brought change but I agree with riders that more improvements are needed, considering the recent non-cash fare hike. All we ask is that service be improved." View other service improvents at http://www.nicebus.com/Maps_and_Schedules/n6_Express/index.html

(Press Release from Solages Office presented to TAC, and Riders Who Were at Meeting on 3/27/13)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unpredictable and tardy buses were a major concern for many commuters. On the morning of March 14th, with temperatures in the 30's, Legislature Solages waited over 25 minutes for both the N2 and N6 bus connections. He observed several buses arriving approximately 15 minutes late to their respective destinations. Dozens of commuters dependent upon NICE emphasized that this untimely and unpredictable service often resulted in their lateness to their place of employment, and has led to wariness on the part of employers in hiring employees dependent upon NICE for transportation. For student commuters, dependency upon NICE has led to frequent lateness to class at Nassau Community College and other local colleges.

If people are are late for work because a bus is 15 minutes lates means they are not planning properly and giving them enough time.  Aren't you supposed to be about 15 minutes early for work anyway?  Sow how could a bus being 15 minutes late make them late?  People should find the bus that gets them to work on time and then take the bus before that.  That's what I used to do and would do if I had to do it again.  If people know buses are always late how is that an excuse for always being late?  If your us is always 15 minutes you'd think a light bulb would go off at some point and realize "hmm if I left early, I'd never be late."  People cannot continue to blame a shitty bus system aas their crutch, wake up a little earlier and catch the bus before that?  It sounds insanly simple, but maybe it's just me.  If these people had a car could they continue to say traffic and badly sync'd traffic lights made them late every day?  No, they would be expected to leave earlier if they expected to be delayed every day.

If people are are late for work because a bus is 15 minutes lates means they are not planning properly and giving them enough time. Aren't you supposed to be about 15 minutes early for work anyway? Sow how could a bus being 15 minutes late make them late? People should find the bus that gets them to work on time and then take the bus before that. That's what I used to do and would do if I had to do it again. If people know buses are always late how is that an excuse for always being late? If your us is always 15 minutes you'd think a light bulb would go off at some point and realize "hmm if I left early, I'd never be late." People cannot continue to blame a shitty bus system aas their crutch, wake up a little earlier and catch the bus before that? It sounds insanly simple, but maybe it's just me. If these people had a car could they continue to say traffic and badly sync'd traffic lights made them late every day? No, they would be expected to leave earlier if they expected to be delayed every day.

Sometimes there is no earlier bus.

If people are are late for work because a bus is 15 minutes lates means they are not planning properly and giving them enough time.  Aren't you supposed to be about 15 minutes early for work anyway?  Sow how could a bus being 15 minutes late make them late?  People should find the bus that gets them to work on time and then take the bus before that.  That's what I used to do and would do if I had to do it again.  If people know buses are always late how is that an excuse for always being late?  If your us is always 15 minutes you'd think a light bulb would go off at some point and realize "hmm if I left early, I'd never be late."  People cannot continue to blame a shitty bus system aas their crutch, wake up a little earlier and catch the bus before that?  It sounds insanly simple, but maybe it's just me.  If these people had a car could they continue to say traffic and badly sync'd traffic lights made them late every day?  No, they would be expected to leave earlier if they expected to be delayed every day.

That's easier said then done, but I tried that trick when I relied on the local buses on Staten Island and still had problems because when bus service is unreliable, getting the bus before the one you're supposed to get doesn't always work either.  You yourself said that bus service is shitty out there and there is no question about it.  If it were me I would either switch to using something else like I did (started using the express bus) or MOVE.  I mean hell if you move out to Long Island and don't have a car well then that's your fault, especially if you're a grown adult.  College students really don't have a choice because they have to live where their parents can afford to live, but surely Long Island can't be the only place that these people can live at a reasonable cost AND have decent public transportation.  

Sometimes there is no earlier bus.

Sometimes there is no earlier bus, and sometimes you have to transfer one or two times, and the lateness can cascade. It's not just a matter of 15 mins. I've waited 30 mins for a bus on 10 min headways, now what If I had to transfer to a bus on 40 mins headways? It's not that simple.

Well they can't have it both ways... If they want better service, they're going to have to pay out more for it.  Simple as that and under the (MTA) it was the city covering costs for Long Island...

The MTA is a state run agency. The city wasn't covering anything since the MTA and the State goes above and beyond to collect taxes from downstate residents including Nassau County, lets stop this BS please.

That's easier said then done, but I tried that trick when I relied on the local buses on Staten Island and still had problems because when bus service is unreliable, getting the bus before the one you're supposed to get doesn't always work either. 

I've done it myself for school and when working (living and commuting on Long Island).  I think in a majority of cases bitching about the buses is a cop out.  I was rarly late for school or work because I was EARLY If I can do it anyone can do!  I understand life is hard sometimes and if you have to spend two hours each way commuting to your job until you can afford a car or insurance (or pass your road test), that's what you gotta do!  I go to school in the city and it pisses me off seeing people come to class late because they are too lazy to get a train 20 minutes earlier. 

You also need to analyze your situation if it's a perfect job and you cannot easily get to it you need to determine if it's worth it.  If there's no earlier bus and you have to chance being late for a few months until you can buy a car or move closer great, if not oh well.  If there is an earlier bus even if youy have to wait outside for 40+ minutes isn't it a small price for looking good by being early every day, NEVER LATE until you can afford a car or to move closer? 

Sure it's easier said than done, that's why people don't do but I don't just say I did this.

No one's situation is going to change if they continue to blame their situation on shitty bus service.  IMHO gettimg fired for being late and making your situation don't want to leave early or don't want to stand outside for up to an hour is a cop out.  That time is a small price to pay if you can change your situation.

If someone cannot get a car or a license for any reason and teh commute is unbearable tehy should look into moving closer to where they need to commute to or move to a more transot freindly city, lets be realistic!

You yourself said that bus service is shitty out there and there is no question about it.  If it were me I would either switch to using something else like I did (started using the express bus) or MOVE.  I mean hell if you move out to Long Island and don't have a car well then that's your fault, especially if you're a grown adult

True.  Long Island is not transit friendly, I cannot imagine people who do it further out east.   I live on Long Island, that's where I'm from but plan on moving soon.  I know I started saying that two years ago but found a good place on Long Island when I was looking to move to Brooklyn or Queens.  I just need to be close to the LIRR.  If I got a job on Long Island and couldn't get a car for whatever reason (or wasn't allowed to drive) I'd live within a decent commute to work.  If I was looking for a job I certainly wouldn't be working the first shift blaming nice for not getting me there.

There was a perfect job in NJ but NJ transit couldn't get me there that early, I don't go blaming them.  I also wanted apply to two jobs on the Island here but there were no buses that went past the business at the time I would get out from work.  Oh well.  I also saw a perfect job that I thought I could grow with when I was done with school but it was i Smithtown or something and there is a bus near there but the commute would be hellish, maybe I should be blaming Suffolk Transit?  Maybe I should be mad at the world because I don't have rich parents who can by me Land Rover!

Long Isand is not a commuters paradise, face it people.   Not to sound man but if you need to rely on these buses past your college years and into whatever career you have, something went wrong.  Seriously, you could be living in a transit friendly city where the cost of living is A LOT less!!!

College students really don't have a choice because they have to live where their parents can afford to live,n.  

Well, with loans and grants SUNY schools are affordable to live at.  Especially upstate, you could get an apartment off campus cheaper than living in a dorm.  I don't understand why anyone goes through a hellish commute on busses to NCC or SCC when they could go to a CUNY school is beyond me.  Granted the LIRR is hell and expensive but if needed you could ask for your loan to cover your commuting cost, CUNY schools even have dorms these days (granted they are expensive).

Well they can't have it both ways... If they want better service, they're going to have to pay out more for it.  Simple as that and under the (MTA) it was the city covering costs for Long Island...

Are we really going to start this again?

This is just a PR move and nothing more.  Solage will probably come up with something stupid like "make the buses run faster."

He's a democrat! Solages vs Mango & NICE! LETS GO, SEE WHO WINS!

Agreed total PR stundt to get the riders on his side!  Instead of kissing ass and helping these people blame Veolia I would like to know what he plans to do about this!?!

The MTA is a state run agency. The city wasn't covering anything since the MTA and the State goes above and beyond to collect taxes from downstate residents including Nassau County, lets stop this BS please.

Yeah right... The fact is the (MTA) used the city as a cash cow to prop up Long Island Bus and this is no secret either... I think it's funny that people have such complaints about public transit out there or rather NICE in this case. I mean seriously they're in the friggin' suburbs... What do they expect?? Now I live in a suburban area here in Riverdale but WITHIN the city AND with superb transportation.  Aside from Staten Island which was supposed to be a short stay I've always lived in places with good transit, even when I lived in Europe. It's just common sense.  Anytime I go out to Long Island, I am either in a car or traveling via the LIRR either to car service or someone picks me up.  There is no way that you can depend on NICE to get you anywhere, period.  

There was a perfect job in NJ but NJ transit couldn't get me there that early, I don't go blaming them.  I also wanted apply to two jobs on the Island here but there were no buses that went past the business at the time I would get out from work.  Oh well.  I also saw a perfect job that I thought I could grow with when I was done with school but it was i Smithtown or something and there is a bus near there but the commute would be hellish, maybe I should be blaming Suffolk Transit?  Maybe I should be mad at the world because I don't have rich parents who can by me Land Rover!

which part of NJ?

Yeah right... The fact is the (MTA) used the city as a cash cow to prop up Long Island Bus and this is no secret either... I think it's funny that people have such complaints about public transit out there or rather NICE in this case. I mean seriously they're in the friggin' suburbs... What do they expect?? Now I live in a suburban area here in Riverdale but WITHIN the city AND with superb transportation.  Aside from Staten Island which was supposed to be a short stay I've always lived in places with good transit, even when I lived in Europe. It's just common sense.  Anytime I go out to Long Island, I am either in a car or traveling via the LIRR either to car service or someone picks me up.  There is no way that you can depend on NICE to get you anywhere, period.  

you can depend on NICE IF you are travelling into LI via the LIRR as most lines are timed with LIRR with some exceptions. Like if you need levittown you can either N74/73 from hicksville or N70/72 from farmingdale with the latter being more frequent and NICE buses are mostly well patronized unlike SCT in suffolk.

Well, with loans and grants SUNY schools are affordable to live at.  Especially upstate, you could get an apartment off campus cheaper than living in a dorm.  I don't understand why anyone goes through a hellish commute on busses to NCC or SCC when they could go to a CUNY school is beyond me.  Granted the LIRR is hell and expensive but if needed you could ask for your loan to cover your commuting cost, CUNY schools even have dorms these days (granted they are expensive).

CUNY registration is extremely competitive and fills up quick.  If I got into a CUNY school, I'd still need to come back to Nassau by bus.  It's a wild guess as to whether or not something comes on time during the rush (and I've seen this plenty of times during my commute) once you get out of the city.  And you have to get your transfer ready the semester before you leave (like if I wanted to get in for spring, I would have had to get everything ready at the START of the fall semester)

I went to Nassau for almost three years to get the BS general education requirements out of the way.  I miss that place everyday, but those crowded N16s and 43s were just awful. (The 16x arrived at Nassau right when my class ended, so that never helped) Even riding a bus DURING college here is just as bad, considering everyone else went through the "get a license or die" process and survived.

blah blah riverdale blah blah

No one asked you.

CUNY registration is extremely competitive and fills up quick.  If I got into a CUNY school, I'd still need to come back to Nassau by bus.  It's a wild guess as to whether or not something comes on time during the rush (and I've seen this plenty of times during my commute) once you get out of the city.  And you have to get your transfer ready the semester before you leave (like if I wanted to get in for spring, I would have had to get everything ready at the START of the fall semester)

I don't think ALL CUNY schools are extremely competitive, what about BMCC?  I was gonna go there the requirements then seemed to be (1) Open the door. (2) get all the registration bullshit done on time.  I always seemed to have a problem with #2, seems  you did too. lmao.

Although this is completely off topic, CUNY schools are not all extremely competitive, especially ones like Queensborough and the ones I applied to like Laguardia and City College that accepted me immediately. With CUNY, all that matters is your GPA and nothing else. CUNY was alot easier for applications than SUNY, but I just don't wanna go to a community college.

Off topic indeed but I think what he was talking about was far in advance you had to get all your ducks in a row before being accepted.  They have deadlines, and many colleges fill up quick, at least the ones I applied to.  Community colleges usually accept you up until and even past classes starting (granted I have no idea how NCC works) where CUNY it seems you have to line everything up a semester in advance.

which part of NJ?

Honestly, I don't remember.

you can depend on NICE IF you are travelling into LI via the LIRR as most lines are timed with LIRR with some exceptions. Like if you need levittown you can either N74/73 from hicksville or N70/72 from farmingdale with the latter being more frequent and NICE buses are mostly well patronized unlike SCT in suffolk.

lol... The only thing I "depend" on when on Long Island is the LIRR to car service or have someone pick me up.  I would never use those NICE buses... Imagine meeting a client out there and being late... Oh sorry I'm two hours late... The NICE bus screwed up.  :lol:

No one asked you.

Ha... ha.... ha...  Very funny...  <_<

Yeah right... The fact is the (MTA) used the city as a cash cow to prop up Long Island Bus and this is no secret either... I think it's funny that people have such complaints about public transit out there or rather NICE in this case. 

So you're saying that the MTA doesn't collect millions from Nassau County and it's residents already? 

So you're saying that the MTA doesn't collect millions from Nassau County and it's residents already? 

I'm saying Nassau never paid its full share when it came to Long Island Bus for years and then when the (MTA) finally put their foot down after years of footing the majority of the bill, that's when Mangano decided to get tough and use another provider. If all of the monies that the (MTA) collected from city bridges (i.e. Verrazano especially with the astronomical $15.00 cash toll one way) actually went to fund transit here in the city, maybe the service cuts back in 2010 wouldn't have been as severe.  That bridge has been paid for 10 times over and the idea of there still being a toll on it when Staten Island residents were promised that it would be free once the bridge was paid for is highway robbery, esp. when a lot of that funding is siphoned to Long Island for the LIRR or in the past Long Island Bus.  Now I do agree with Mangano that the (MTA) has bloated costs, but at the same time it wasn't like things were that much better under Long Island Bus, so my point is if NICE commuters want better service, they're going to have to pay for it either through higher taxes or higher fares.  Long Island has some of the highest taxes in the country, but nevertheless there is no way to cut corners anywhere and we're seeing this with NICE.

What do you guys think of the safety concerns?

I sort of agree. People waiting for buses late at night in Hempstead have no protection (ironically because Hempstead LIRR is adjacent to the stop). The HTC used to close down at night. Does anyone know if it still does?

Archived