Legislator Solages Ride the Bus in Response to Compliants

This is a special situation the "contract carrier" gets the state to tax the very county they service for revenue.

If you hired a guy to clean your house, and you stopped paying him directly, but he taxed everything you purchased, your cellphone bill, your property tax, vehicle registration fee, driver license renewal fee, and exorbitant tolls on the crossings you use to get around, AND he asked for a raise, would you believe that you're not actually paying him, that a raise is necessary, and that and that he shouldn't continue to do his job?

F.Y.I.: My intuition says there are a lot of flaws with your argument here, but my brain is too tired to think of a response. Maybe someone with a working brain could…

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I think people liked (MTA) LIB because there were more standards. They knew drivers were being trained just like NYC bus drivers were (and often were trained in NYC facilities) and felt they were part of a Regional Bus System (which was supposed to be formed until Mangano decided to f*k it up). We all know Veolia is able to provide much more service with less, something the (MTA) was unable to do. But with lower budgets come less money for maintanance, lower quality labor,etc. So the timeliness and reliability of the buses gets worse, due to breakdowns, rookie bus drivers, but traffic lights as well. 

The funny thing is you keep screaming for the (MTA) to come back but even you see that given proper funding Veolia/NICE is a better choice to the system than the (MTA) .  

The MTA was a contract carrier for Nassau, just as Veolia is now. The County was always fully responsible for the service and had a contractual obligation to pay for the service being provided, and the County continually refused to meet that obligation.

If you hired a guy to clean your house every week and then you stopped paying him, would he keep cleaning your house? NO. He would cut his losses and walk away.

If the guy cleaning your house kept raising his prices to a ridiculous level and offering sub par service in return for the exorbitant amount  he charged, you'd tell him to take a hike (not a fare hike, just get off your property).

Mangano/Nassau County couldn't reach an agreement was (MTA) over charging or running a bloated budget or is Mangano at fault for not signing a blank every year with money the County didn't have?  At this I don't care.  THIS WAS IN THE PAST, Nassau and the (MTA) couldn't agree, no matter what your opinion on who's at fault it was in the past and the (MTA) is out.  Can we get over it already?  How long are we going to keep pointing fingers over spilled milk?

Anyway, it's one way or the other. Sure Mangano could pay Veolia or (MTA) quite a bit more but fact is: as long as he refuses to pay more to either one of 'em cuts (doesn't matter if that means cutting routes or cutting maintenance) are inevitable. And I'm pretty sure that PinePowerless was filling this topic with LIB hate if (MTA) was still in charge instead of NICE because of their inevitable cuts.

The problem isn't Veolia or (MTA), it's Mangano and Nassau's lack of funding bus service. So yes, either way cuts and less reliable service are inevitable. Not that Mangano cares, he loves cabs.  :rolleyes:

This is a special situation the "contract carrier" gets the state to tax the very county they service for revenue.

If you hired a guy to clean your house, and you stopped paying him directly, but he taxed everything you purchased, your cellphone bill, your property tax, vehicle registration fee, driver license renewal fee, and exorbitant tolls on the crossings you use to get around, AND he asked for a raise, would you believe that you're not actually paying him, that a raise is necessary, and that and that he shouldn't continue to do his job?

Now you're deliberately confusing the funding for the bus system and the LIRR. All the taxes and fees you mentioned pay the railroad (for which the MTA is fully responsible) and were NEVER supposed to be used for Long Island Bus (for which Nassau County was fully responsible). Both Mangano and the County Legislators knew that.

Archived