R160 Updates

VIP

Finally, The R160 Programs on the (N)(Q)(R)(E)(F) and (M) have been updated. As we all know Atlantic Avenue - Pacific street, was renamed last year to Atlantic Avenue - Barclays Center. the (2) (4) and (5) trains were the first to get the "Atlantic Av-Barclays ctr" Program. Now the (N)(Q) and (R) trains are getting them. The (E)(N)(R)(Q) have gotten the programs for a transfer to the M34 SBS at 34th street. The (F)(M) trains finally got the Bleecker street -B'way Laffayette St Transfer corrected to "Transfer is available to the (B)(D)(F) and (6) train, rather than Transfer is availabile to the Downtown 6 train.

why does it take so long for these updates to be programmed?

yeah,but the (2)(4) and (5) fleet got the program voice over installed a month after the station Name change. and its the same Diane voice as used for the (F) line, so shouldnt it have been easier to update them?

Like it has been said, it's not easy to update any lines announcement, as each train needs to have the new program installed manually. Just be patient. The (2), (4), and (5) were easier to update as they share cars and they are often in yards to be updated.

Don't forget, all the R142As needed to be updated as well. All together, you have a similar amount of R142 and R142As [1, 630] in as you do R160s [1,662]. And besides, the R142s are spread out just like the R160s. I mean, both types of cars were sprinkled among 5 yards [Coney Island, Jamaica, East New York, Fresh Pond, and Canarise on the R160s, vs. 239th St, Unionport, Concourse, Westchester, and Livonia yard on the R142s.]

So just looking at that, it does seem kinda odd that the R142s were updated so much more quickly than the R160s, but I guess there were other reasons for that. 

Guest Lance

This. Every time new announcements have to be put into the computer, someone from Bomb or ALSKAW has to come out to update them.

That's kind of ridiculous if you ask me. I don't have to call Toshiba or Microsoft every time I update Firefox. Why should they have to call the trains' builders to update the software on the computers?

I think its just another way these companies make sure they have a steady flow of funds, even after the sale of the physical product. Its exactly same way in HVAC, if a system is more or less advanced (controllers, vav's, vfd's and so on), the people who install it will lock it up. So if you have to do some major adjustments you HAVE to call them or you throw away their hardware.

That's kind of ridiculous if you ask me. I don't have to call Toshiba or Microsoft every time I update Firefox. Why should they have to call the trains' builders to update the software on the computers?

Until the warranty expires perhaps or maybe they still have a "Contract" with the Vendors? I doubt that NYCT Has folks "in house that they trained" on the software updates... Which don't surprise me one bit...  

Wait, I have a question, pardon me if this sounds silly, not that knowledged on this aspect of train operations so I'm mostly all ears on this discussion: But aren't the R160's still under warranty from the main manufacturers and vendors involved in the construction of these cars themselves and it's electronics? Because I was assuming if that was the case then yeah I would imagine that the rolling stock mechanics technicians will have to call in vendor certified IT techs to update the software on the programs, if the R160 cars is still under some sort of warranty agreement?

On the R142's my understanding that they were also covered under a warranty of sorts which had expired a long time ago, I've heard IIRC, so on that one......

• 1 month later...

the (J)'s Program was altered a bit as well but only the Jamaica Ctr bound on the LED screen it reads Via JFK Airport. but Manhattan bound doesnt have a Via route. however the full program  to date is a bit misleading... 

the program should read;

JAMIACA CENTER

VIA JFK AIRPORT

JAMAICA LOCAL

as for manhattan bound

BROAD ST

VIA WILLMSBRG BR

NASSAU ST LOCAL 

yeah,but the (2)(4) and (5) fleet got the program voice over installed a month after the station Name change. and its the same Diane voice as used for the (F) line, so shouldnt it have been easier to update them?

That's not Dianne Thompson on the (F)....her name is Kathleen Campion, she sounds similar to Dianne Thompson. Dianne haven't made anymore announcements ever since she did the entire 7th Avenue Line since the R-142's first came out!

the (J)'s Program was altered a bit as well but only the Jamaica Ctr bound on the LED screen it reads Via JFK Airport. but Manhattan bound doesnt have a Via route. however the full program  to date is a bit misleading... 

the program should read;

JAMIACA CENTER

VIA JFK AIRPORT

JAMAICA LOCAL

as for manhattan bound

BROAD ST

VIA WILLMSBRG BR

NASSAU ST LOCAL 

I noticed the "via JFK Airport" part of (J) when I rode it like month ago. When they 1st was testing up and down the Jamaica Line. The exterior read differently 

Jamaica Center

Nassau St Local

Jamaica Local

I don't know why they didn't used that one instead

Guest Lance

They probably felt it was redundant.

@VIP: I don't know what their fixation is with "JFK Airport" being on the side signs and announcements. It's a bit misleading when the station in question is Sutphin-Archer and not Howard Beach. Yes, the AirTrain stops there, but it's not as though the J itself runs through the airport.

Archived