living near work/ commuting to work via bus/subway

BreeddekalbL

This goes mostly to those who are b/o's  what is your advice on some of these questions for those who want to become b/os?  :

what is the best thing for you  living near where you work or not?

Do any of you live near your garage or far from it?

When you commute do any of you use the bus or the subway and when you use either or what does your employee metrocard for you and is your employee card restricted?

Obviously I'm not a B/O but my friend's father works at Ulmer Park Depot.  Had a story similar to what you're asking for so I thought to just drop what I've heard.

He used to live in the Rockaways while first working in Ulmer Park and took the bus to work every time.  Now he lives around Sheepshead Bay and still to this day takes the bus to work. (ie. He does have a car, he didn't specifically tell me why he doesn't drive to work and vice versa.)

I believe he does have a employee MetroCard and from what I remembered, he just flashed it to the B/O and walks on.

Too my knowledge he hated the distance when he was living in the Rockaways going to Ulmer, but now since he is some what closer, he's not really complaining.

Of course like you're question is intended from current MTA employee's POV more, that's what I've learned/heard from him.

They Don't restrict the employee card do they?

My uncle would take the bus and or subway to work for the most part... Here and there he would drive in on weekends for example if he was doing overtime.  He did mention to me that they weren't allowed to use their passes on the express buses.  However, I have seen some B/Os just get on if they were heading to say Castleton or Yukon since that the depot that they're out of, so there may be some truth to that... He lives in Jersey now and while he does have a car, he prefers to use transit to get to work since with the gas and the constant back on forth with the car there's a lot of wear and tear and expense that he could cut back on, so he moved to an area with better public transit where he could just walk to the bus.  Me personally I don't see how some B/O's drive home after driving all day on the bus, but there are certainly some that do it.  

There are a few B/O's that I know out of Yonkers that live out of state...  One of them has a place here in the city that is used when they're not in the mood for driving back to PA (IIRC).  One B/O did acknowledge that driving is not only tiring but really kills you physically... I can imagine that because sometimes if I come back to Riverdale and then go out to the city again I certainly feel it.  The potholes and terrible roads in the city can sometimes do a number on you.

If you like driving and making money this is the job. The job it's self is not bad at all  it's how you make it. Who is going to pay you almost  $30.00 an hour to drive a bus in nyc give you 4 weeks vacation ,sick time,Pension and Health Care and more.  

If you like driving and making money this is the job. The job it's self is not bad at all  it's how you make it. Who is going to pay you almost  $30.00 an hour to drive a bus in nyc give you 4 weeks vacation ,sick time,Pension and Health Care and more.  

there will be another question that i will message to you later regarding union dues and medical etc

I live right across the street from a depot but bronx division is where the money is at so that's why I choose to commute.  It's not much only 35 mins on the subway.  As for the pass it works like an unlimited, it can only be swiped every 18 minutes and it is NOT valid on PATH, Bee-Line or the express bus.

I live right across the street from a depot but bronx division is where the money is at so that's why I choose to commute.  It's not much only 35 mins on the subway.  As for the pass it works like an unlimited, it can only be swiped every 18 minutes and it is NOT valid on PATH, Bee-Line or the express bus.

so mastoba is where it's at

Im not DOB or RTO but, a PES checker in Operations Planning...I do travel to all the garages in the system and most stations as well...we work with all the other divisions actually. I reside in Queens and commute to Downtown Brooklyn daily and then to my work location(s)....I own a vehicle and can drive but, my particular facility has no on-site parking so Downtown is to say the least not worth my efforts. My commute is about an hour...45 if I take the LIRR. The EPIC (Employee Personal Identification Card) can be swiped every 8min (a regular card is 18 minutes) and as far as restrictions, they dont work on MTA bus (you'll get a declined sound) but, a flash to the operator works...Not allowed on Express Buses but, operators are usually courteous, dont work on SIRTOA and on NJ Transit, PATH, PA-NY/NJ (AirTrain), Metro-North and the LIRR are a courteousy from Conductors as well. I've tried it all. In stations, your usually told to swipe...some Station Agents will allow you through the service gate or special entry turnstile. When your ID is lost, you now have to file a signed statement, notarized and all. First time, you get it back right then and there...2nd within a year? You get no swiping privleges for 30 days...ie: you now have to pay for your rides or be extra pleasant for courteousy rides lmfao.

I actually live closer to East New York Depot, but I prefer Flatbush and don't plan on leaving. 

And yes, I take the bus to and from work everyday. As of now, there's no major advantages to me driving to work especially when there's no parking in my hood. I refuse to come home at 1-2am and drive around for 45 minutes to look for parking after I just finished driving for 9 hours. Not happening. 

I rather leave earlier, take the bus - let someone else drive me for a change. lol

Archived