Greyhound Places Historic Order for 220 New Buses from MCI and Prevost

DJ MC

DALLAS (April 1, 2013) — Greyhound Lines, Inc., the industry leader in intercity bus transportation, today announced it has placed its largest bus order in more than 20 years, with 220 new buses from two manufacturers: Motor Coach Industries (MCI) and Prevost. The order includes 130 D4505 buses from MCI and 90 X3-45 buses from Prevost. The company expects the first 120 buses to roll out in 2013, starting in May, with the rest to follow in 2014.

Source: Read more over here

Congrats Greyhound. 

DA85624.jpg

I never liked the 4505s cause I thought they were mutts based of the G series at the front, but as a bus driver, I got behind the wheel of one and i saw that top front end actually helps keep sun glare out. A big help

I never liked the 4505s cause I thought they were mutts based of the G series at the front, but as a bus driver, I got behind the wheel of one and i saw that top front end actually helps keep sun glare out. A big help

These coaches are nice looking for the most part, however they can't beat the legendary MC-8/9s and even the 102-A3s Greyhound had.

LOL... Just what I was thinking... So I guess this "historic" order should replace the roach infested coaches no?  :lol:

This order isn't replacing anything. They are expanding the fleet. Some will go to the Greyhound Express service with this order and BoltBus.

That's a lot of buses for an expansion. How big is this expansion anyways (in other words, how much more service will Greyhound offer).

I know right... I can remember having to stand on Greyhound buses because there no seats... I'm sure they'll be passing the costs for the new buses on to the passengers...

That's a lot of buses for an expansion. How big is this expansion anyways (in other words, how much more service will Greyhound offer).

I have no idea. That link explained what Greyhound will do with the buses, but I don't know how substantial the expansion will be. They will also have completed the rehab of 600 coaches (102-DL3s). 

I know right... I can remember having to stand on Greyhound buses because there no seats... I'm sure they'll be passing the costs for the new buses on to the passengers...

They did have a lot more buses available back in the days compared to now.

Ooh, le coach Prevost, il fait beau!

they forgot to add roaches included

You also have the occasional bed bugs as well.

You too? I've done that before from SF to LA and it's not cool. Though then I was glad the driver did that as I believe it is against Greyhound's official policy.

And I have to ask, why does everyone seem to rave about the G series? They're literally utter shit. Do you know how many have combusted. They overheat like crazy. I remember this once it was so bad with a G series unit we had to wait an hour in the middle of ass f**k nowhere near Coalinga, CA for the damn bus to cool down. Mind you we were in 105 degree weather surrounded by bovine pastures and a Burger King randomly placed along the road. Not a good combination.

You too? I've done that before from SF to LA and it's not cool. Though then I was glad the driver did that as I believe it is against Greyhound's official policy.

And I have to ask, why does everyone seem to rave about the G series? They're literally utter shit. Do you know how many have combusted. They overheat like crazy. I remember this once it was so bad with a G series unit we had to wait an hour in the middle of ass f**k nowhere near Coalinga, CA for the damn bus to cool down. Mind you we were in 105 degree weather surrounded by bovine pastures and a Burger King randomly placed along the road. Not a good combination.

Yep I was desperate to get back to the city since the dorms were closed so I didn't have too many options.

lol @ G series.

Yep I was desperate to get back to the city since the dorms were closed so I didn't have too many options.

lol @ G series.

You're laughing now, but I hope you never have the pleasure of riding on of those hellholes on wheels.

Also, is my Francais getting rusty by any chance?

This order isn't replacing anything. They are expanding the fleet. Some will go to the Greyhound Express service with this order and BoltBus.

Some of the order will have to be for replacement as their is still at least 150 non lift equipped buses in the fleet and thats more that is needed for charters and training coaches.

Some of the order will have to be for replacement as their is still at least 150 non lift equipped buses in the fleet and thats more that is needed for charters and training coaches.

Don't look at me. It doesn't mention anything about replacements. That's how I see it and call it. 

Ooh, le coach Prevost, il fait beau!

You also have the occasional bed bugs as well.

I heard the G Series maybe retired early. If that happens it will remind me of what happened with the 96A3s and 102A3s Greyhound had.

Don't look at me. It doesn't mention anything about replacements. That's how I see it and call it. 

I heard the G Series maybe retired early. If that happens it will remind me of what happened with the 96A3s and 102A3s Greyhound had.

A couple of the G's were rebuilt and in the new scheme out west!

Interesting. They actually made an attempt to rebuild them. 

As they are lift buses I can see them lasting a couple more years before they are retired. As I said they will most likely be kept just for charters, spares and training coaches.

Archived